UMass is the game

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
jimmythegreek

UMass is the game

Postby jimmythegreek » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:31 pm

Losing to UD would be a huge surprise. Like Louisville and Pitt when UD played them, UD is hurting. We should win by at least 10. The key is UMass. As I have always said, until UD wins an NCAA tourney game, they are a non-event. It has been since 1989 that they won 1 tourney game. UD is having a great year but remember they are still UD.
MillerTime

Re: UMass is the game

Postby MillerTime » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:09 pm

I don't know about the "expected" win against Dayton, but agree the UMass game is bigger in terms of who is going to win the conference.
Biggernlife

Postby Biggernlife » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:19 pm

I just hope the team isn't looking past the UD game like the posting fans are! Granted, we should win the game but the Flyers will make us earn it.--Biggernlife
LA Muskie

Postby LA Muskie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:23 pm

We need to win both games. A home loss is just as bad as a road win is good. This 2-game stretch is HUGE. Frankly, given our conference schedule this year, nearly every remaining game is huge. It all starts Thursday...
XLFan

Postby XLFan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:33 pm

After the way the Musketeers played against St. Bonaventure and Fordham, I don't think they are looking past anyone. The Muskies will be pumped to defeat the 16th ranked Flyers even without Wright and Little. I almost feel sorry for UD, because they are going to get thrashed. XU by at least 17 points.
XavierTragedy

Postby XavierTragedy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:00 pm

X in the house is like a rattle snake always hissing.....
dfcapp

Postby dfcapp » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:14 pm

I was surprised to see on ESPN's weekly watch that the UMass-XU game was the game to watch this week & no mention of the first ranked meeting of XU-UD.

I agree with the comments posted above that we can't look past any team. If UD decides to throw a zone at us (which they probably will), we need to either crush it with dribble penetration or be on fire from 3. When we can't get either working, you have seen what happens. If you need a reference, refer to Miami U, ASU, and Temple.

We need to break the zone. If we can master that, then we will win.
xsincebirth86

Postby xsincebirth86 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:15 am

dfcapp wrote:If UD decides to throw a zone at us (which they probably will), we need to either crush it with dribble penetration or be on fire from 3.
Don't get me wrong, it's great to see the likes of Raymond, Lavender, etc. nailing threes, but it's equally excruciating when they aren't falling. The live by the three die by the three has never been a comforting idea to me to say the least and it kills me to watch this team succumb to it. Unfortunately unless Duncan is playing as tough as he possibly can (and as he did against GW), the former option becomes a lot tougher as well.
Masterofreality

Postby Masterofreality » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:29 am

A little hard to "look past" a team that is nationally ranked in your house. They aren't exactly playing Savannah State Thursday night.

Rebounding will be a big key, as will Drew. He'll show up.
PAY THE MAN!!!!
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:08 pm

Winning these next 2 games would go a long way toward winning the regular season title.We have never done too well at UMASS.Anybody know our record up there? I'm not taking UD for granted.AT home with their injuries we should win but eventually the law of averages say they're going to win one here.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”