Xavier's offers...potential recruits thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
jaxalum

Re: Xavier's offers...potential recruits thread

Postby jaxalum » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:25 pm

muskieman wrote:
oldhoopster2 wrote:Doesn't hurt to offer. Seton Hall and St Johns did. Worst you can hear is 'no'. Can't get a commit you don't go after. If the kid is good make an offer, but make sure he has a shot outside 1 foot, can move his feet, can rebound and/or block shots. We should attempt to recruit with the 'big boys' if we want to become one of them. Can't bow out because Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, etc are after someone. Ya never know.

no like you offer and then wait for a call. Time, money on coach's visits all must be done before and after an offer and there is only so much time money etc.

^^^Agreed. The staff are experts at determining if there may be some mutual interest from a target, hence they dole out resources accordingly. As to this 7 footer being "covered", Scruggs had offers from the likes of Kansas, Indiana, Mich State, Purdue, Illinois...along with a plethora of other schools that dropped out at some point as they realized it had become a practice in futility. I will say that top 100 Centers (especially 7'0) are considered absolute gold, like finding a unicorn. Good big men are so rare compared to any other position, ESPECIALLY a skilled one. So I understand why this big is being deluged/"covered" with offers. Anyone notice how Xaviers luck over the past 3-4 yrs pulling in a truly skilled 5 has been outlandishly hapless. We've been so close, even having one on campus taking classes (Ekiyor) to Taurean Thompson. Do yourself a favor and do not watch Syracuse (who stole Thompson away literally a week before he was thinking of going to X). The kid is an athletic beast, long, lean, with a jump shot. And Tyrique was never recruited as a 5, expected ever to play the 5(he's not 6'9/243....he's 6'7/230. He was/is a pure 4 being forced to play the 5, but damn has he added to his offensive arsenal right in front of us this season. My wish for him is for Pegues (remember what he did to Farr between his jr and sr yr) to continue to be all over him this summer and potentially add a 10-12 foot jumper that's enough of a weapon to bring their 5 out, unclogging the lane. On paper, we could potentially walk out the most decorated (recruiting site/ by average stars) 5 in X history. Unfortunately, we will lack shooters, and my guess is alot of zone/sagging.

Right now, it's getting into the tournament, and then, and I think most importantly, we need Mack to stay/this recruting class is a "core" class that will determine the path of the program for the next 3-5 years. IU is one of "those" schools he would leave for. I'm scared to death when Crean gets fired.
muskieman
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center

Postby muskieman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:10 pm

Noah Locke (2018) says X , Providence and Florida are making him a priority. Other schools USC, Cincinnati, PSU have offered plus UVA, VA Tech, Stanford, UMD, Villanova showing interest
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Kansas transfer Carlton Bragg top five are Xavier, Arizona State, Illinois, Cincinnati and NC State. Will set visits soon.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Shadow
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby Shadow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:21 pm

What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you
Ralph Waldo Emerson
hoosiermuskie

Postby hoosiermuskie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:28 pm

muskieman wrote:Kansas transfer Carlton Bragg top five are Xavier, Arizona State, Illinois, Cincinnati and NC State. Will set visits soon.

Not sure we need this guy. He was suspended twice this year for behavior off the court.
Shadow
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby Shadow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:22 am

hoosiermuskie wrote:
muskieman wrote:Kansas transfer Carlton Bragg top five are Xavier, Arizona State, Illinois, Cincinnati and NC State. Will set visits soon.

Not sure we need this guy. He was suspended twice this year for behavior off the court.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /97133280/
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you
Ralph Waldo Emerson
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:13 am

That's the original story. The charges were dropped and the woman involved was charged instead. Evidently a video showed what happened. I'm betting he will end up at Cincy if Cronin offers him. Clark and Washington will be gone after next year so he would have a year to play with them in practice and then step in his first year back. It doesn't hurt to have a kid like Washington around to recruit him. They recruited him hard out of high school, and he's got way to much upside to pass up.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg ... 42103.html
oreobob

Postby oreobob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 pm

I notice Kentrevious Jones tweets are positive. He doesn't mention concerns about eligibility
webxu

Postby webxu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:55 pm

would this be a sign that Mack doesn't anticipate Tre coming back?
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Coach, really insightful speculation above and this one is fun to debate. Can't argue with your logic. On the pro-X side of this argument though, both SOM and the questionable Kanter would both be gone next year when Bragg would become eligible. Since Ernst bolted, that would leave only BasketballJones and a very raw & unproven Big-Kent as our posts. Not exactly a fully stocked cupboard either. Plus, C-Mack versus the gnome.. Big East versus SMU and a ton of other crap-ola teams. Ya never know, but I like our chances....

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”