Where does JP Macura's pro career stand?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
thecoach

Re: Where does JP Macura's pro career stand?

Postby thecoach » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:32 am

Won't get drafted in the Nba draft. That's probably a good thing as someone will add him to their summer league roster, and he'll have the option to kick around with a D league team for a year or two or play overseas. Just not athletic enough at his size to be productive in an 80 game Nba season. He'd realistically have to play a 3 as most Nba 2's would eat him up. A guy like him would need to be a consistent knock down shooter to hang in the Nba, and i think he's to streaky to fill that role.
JTG

Postby JTG » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:44 pm

lionelchalmers0 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:31 pm
I think everyone loves his heart and how he leaves it all on the floor.

But heart only goes so far in the NBA when you're trying to guard guys like Westbrook or Lebron or Giannis.
It's very obvious reading this board Cincy doesn't have an NBA team. Not every player is LeBron or Westbrook. Every roster in the NBA has a guy with the same or less talent than Macura.Heart makes up for a lot ,Tyler Hansbrough spent 3+years in the NBA. I was at the game Friday and thought Macura had a better game than Trevon. In fact I was surprised Bluiett was high scorer.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:46 pm

lionelchalmers0 wrote:

But heart only goes so far in the NBA when you're trying to guard guys like Westbrook or Lebron or Giannis.
If he can guard those 3 guys, then he would be the only that has done it.
No else in the NBA can guard them...at least not successfully.
I think it is premature to say definitively that he won't be drafted after 1 game in his senior season.
Ultimately, it comes to whether he can find a good fit with a team and coach.
And whether he can make NBA 3's since the NBA is a 3 ball league these days.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:54 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:58 pm
He will need to be able to handle the ball in able to play in the NBA.
Agreed. Both he and Tre need to improve dribbling with their left hand and crossover if they want to play in the league. I think both will get a legitimate shot.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:10 pm

JTG wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:44 pm
lionelchalmers0 wrote:

It's very obvious reading this board Cincy doesn't have an NBA team. Not every player is LeBron or Westbrook. Every roster in the NBA has a guy with the same or less talent than Macura.Heart makes up for a lot ,Tyler Hansbrough spent 3+years in the NBA. I was at the game Friday and thought Macura had a better game than Trevon. In fact I was surprised Bluiett was high scorer.
TH was the only player in the history of the best league in bball, to earn 1st Team All-League Honors all four years. He was also the Nat’l Player of the Year in 08 or 09. I’m a big fan of JP, but next time compare avocados to avocados , not avocados to pineapples.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:41 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:54 pm
skyhops wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:58 pm
He will need to be able to handle the ball in able to play in the NBA.
Agreed. Both he and Tre need to improve dribbling with their left hand and crossover if they want to play in the league. I think both will get a legitimate shot.
told you two this is a basketball forum not a lovely hearts forum so get a room
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
UnCaged

Postby UnCaged » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:06 pm

XU Captain wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:46 pm
bmuskies wrote:Does he make the NBA somehow or does he play overseas? Great junior year from him scored in double figures almost in every game. He may make some stupid decisions but might be the best player on the team regarding basketball skills.
He has no pro career ahead. Hope he gets his degree and cleans up his act away from basketball. It would be like asking what are Gaston's pro career chances. Slim and none. That goes for overseas as well. NBA? Not a shot in the world.
Thank goodness you gave up that scouting career, because that is a poorly informed "hot take."

JP is plenty good enough to play overseas, the same as that Mr. Gaston fellow you mentioned (who is currently being paid to play basketball).
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:06 pm

JTG wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:44 pm
lionelchalmers0 wrote:

I think your opinion is more indicative of cincinnati not having an NBA team. I actually watch the NBA very closely. If you're JP's size and not a super athlete you need to be a great shooter or lock down defender.

True, everyone is not Lebron or Westbrook. But assuming JP is a shooting guard in the NBA he would legitimately have to guard guys like that. Or Bradley beal. Or demar derozan. Or James harden (technically a pg now but originally a sg). Can you imagine him against klay Thompson?

The NBA is so much better than the NCAA. You actually are facing a world class athlete every night as a guard. The game is bigger and much faster and spacing and ball movement are so important.

Not saying he couldn't develop or even that he can't make it at all, but he's not going to be a starter. He'd be a low end rotation man at best and even for that he'll have to become a better shooter and ball handler.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Agreed. Sato was an athletic 2 that was a great shooter that never played in the NBA
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:41 am

Klay is overrated. He rarely puts the ball on the floor, JP would likely do quite well against him. Both Klay and baby Steph struggle when guys play aggressive defense against them. The NBA rarely plays aggressive defense or any defense. Watch when JR Smith decides to actually play aggressively and you will see the GSW guy he defends disappear.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”