Talk XU Men's basketball here...
olsingledigit
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Re: Crean gonzo

Postby olsingledigit » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:07 pm

hoosiermuskie wrote:
muskieman wrote:and Holtmann has done more at Butler than Crean did at IU.

Not sure that would be a great fit with Butler being so close to Bloomington. Indy full of a mixture of IU and Butler fans (and a few of us X fans). Not sure IU would want to antagonize the Indy area???

Doubt IU cares about what Butler fans in Indy think.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:06 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
hoosiermuskie wrote:
muskieman wrote:and Holtmann has done more at Butler than Crean did at IU.

Not sure that would be a great fit with Butler being so close to Bloomington. Indy full of a mixture of IU and Butler fans (and a few of us X fans). Not sure IU would want to antagonize the Indy area???

Doubt IU cares about what Butler fans in Indy think.

Just what I was thinking. Ohio State didn't care about pissing X off.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
basket

Postby basket » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:11 am

Marshall makes 3.5mm with some upside from what i've read. Sources? Who cares. Much lower pressure than IU. Alford would be crazy to take that job in my mind. He can get better players at Ucla. Lot easier to get west coast kids to La than kids to Bloomington. He's not at Southest Mz. anymore.[/quote]

As a Grad of "Southest" I take offense, NOT REALLY, to that jab! Plus he did not coach there he coached at Southwest Missouri! He also coached at Manchester College in North Manchester, IN!!!
XU80

Postby XU80 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:32 am

For what it's worth, ESPN Insider has the choice between Mack and Miller and either one would be a good choice. Alford's buyout is close to $7MM and as has been mentioned Marshall makes over $3MM.

Second division options include Mick and Holtman. How Mick would ever be in the running is hard to fathom?

I would worry about Mack being the choice given his great midwest recruiting ties. It will be a long few weeks until this gets decided.
True_Blue

Postby True_Blue » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:15 am

Lance McAllister put Brad Stephens on this list too.

IF.... IF... IF... that is true.

He gets the job easily and IU pays whatever he wants to be paid.

period.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 am

Alford will be at Indiana.

Don't know how good of a coach he is but he inherited a mess and had to clean it up for three years so the reality is he has 3 S16s in six years. His Teams like Dayton would take that all day long. My bigger fear is X has always done well recruiting in Indiana and if Alford comes, that will get tougher
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:21 am

Alford is in a much better spot at Ucla. He's been gone from Indiana for a long time.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:09 pm

thecoach wrote:
bluegrass wrote:Marshall at WSU is probably on Indiana's radar and I'm sure Archie.

Marshall would likely get a pay cut at IU. He makes big money at WS.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... -extension

IU increased Crean's pay to $3.2 million back in 2012 and Marshall is making $3.3 million.
$3 mil spends pretty nicely in Bloomington as it does in Wichita.
So I'm sure IU will poneyup the money if he is their guy.
Marshall wins 30 games and gets a 10 seed.
Coaches want to go someplace where they have a chance to win a NC.
IU is a better place to do that vs. Wichita St.
But this quote from the IU AD should make any candidate take note -
"The expectations for Indiana University basketball are to perennially contend for and win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep in the NCAA tournament, and win our next national championship -- and more after that. We will identify and recruit a coach who will meet these expectations."
So 3 S16 appearances in 6 years are evidently not deep enough for IU.
High expectations for whoever becomes the coach.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:36 pm

thecoach wrote:
Marshall makes 3.5mm with some upside from what i've read. Sources? Who cares. Much lower pressure than IU. Alford would be crazy to take that job in my mind. He can get better players at Ucla. Lot easier to get west coast kids to La than kids to Bloomington. He's not at Southest Mz. anymore.

Better players on the west coast? The last NC won by a school out west was Az in 97 - 20 years ago.
So maybe the players on the west coast are not better or maybe they are heading east anyway.
I think Alford would want the job. Chance to go back and coach at alma mater. His salary is $2.6 mil less than what Crean was making.
He's at a place now (UCLA) that has high expectations so the high expectations at IU would not be new.
Heck, Ben Howland went to 3 straight F4's but was shown the door.
Question is whether IU would want him. Deepest run in the tournament has been 3 S16's.
I think the "white whale" for IU is Brad Stevens. His salary at Boston is $3.6 million. IU can pony up that.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:12 pm

I think the issue with Alford is his buyout right now is about 10mm, but drops in less than a year to way ,way less. The thinking is that ucla is not enamored with his performance and his retainage may be iffy in a year. Thus, he would jump now to a new likely multi year deal. However, i don't think ucla is going to have any quality guys lining up if Alford were to get canned in a year or less.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”