7 year deal for $21 million....$3 million a year for Coach

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

7 year deal for $21 million....$3 million a year for Coach

Postby Xavier2005 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 am

Cuonzo Martin a so so coach that has moved around a lot without delivering the high end goods ...has just left Cal after 3 years to sign with Missouri for a 7 year contract for $21 million. So what you say?? Well, what is Indiana going to pay to get a real good coach? And is that kinda money going to chase Chris Mack??? I think, I do not know, Mack will get offers this year which will far exceed $3 mil a year...especially based on what C Martin just got. Chris Mack loves Xavier and the Cincinnati area...it is home. But money talks!!!! X lost Matta, Sean, and Skip.....for $$$$$ reasons only.
xu koop scoop

Re: 7 year deal for $21 million....$3 million a year for Coach

Postby xu koop scoop » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:18 am

It is the big money the coaches get that caused me to give up season tix in 2005 and games all together 3 yrs ago. Between the big money &
so many kids leaving after a year or two, not just to get to the NBA - but knowing they will be playing overseas or the D league - and leaving anyhow. Having gone to Schmidt and the Gardens years ago I still watch many of our games, but seldom if ever watch any other team. Sports in general, college or pro, have become totally about the money, which was very important 20 to 30 yrs ago, but now overrides any sense of doing what is best for the integrity of these games. I am extremely happy to be playing Fla St Saturday & if Mack can take us to the Final 4 & leave for bigger money
somewhere, more power to him. Until the fans of these schools stop shelling out huge license fees & high ticket prices - the debauchery will continue.
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:37 pm

xu koop scoop wrote:It is the big money the coaches get that caused me to give up season tix in 2005 and games all together 3 yrs ago. Between the big money &
so many kids leaving after a year or two, not just to get to the NBA - but knowing they will be playing overseas or the D league - and leaving anyhow. Having gone to Schmidt and the Gardens years ago I still watch many of our games, but seldom if ever watch any other team. Sports in general, college or pro, have become totally about the money, which was very important 20 to 30 yrs ago, but now overrides any sense of doing what is best for the integrity of these games. I am extremely happy to be playing Fla St Saturday & if Mack can take us to the Final 4 & leave for bigger money
somewhere, more power to him. Until the fans of these schools stop shelling out huge license fees & high ticket prices - the debauchery will continue.
I'll second that motion.
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you
Ralph Waldo Emerson
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Why should Mack take the IU job? The guys saying money is everything are only talking how they would look at the money. There are coaches have turned down the big money to stay at their schools. Dream jobs turn out to be nothing be nightmares after a few years.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
hoosiermuskie

Postby hoosiermuskie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Indy radio pundits say IU will hire S Alford
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 pm

I'd leave UCLA just to get rid of Ball's dad. What an idiot
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:10 pm

skyhops wrote:I'd leave UCLA just to get rid of Ball's dad. What an idiot
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.html

This was classic - saying he could beat MJ one on one. From a guy who avg 2pts a game in college against a guy whose competitive nature would have him crush the ball boy in a game of one on one...just because. MJ would kick ass then and I'm sure would still kick his ass at age 53.
And now he says he wants a billion dollars for his kids shoe contracts.
This guy has been eating retard sandwiches for awhile now.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:28 am

Money is not everything. Chris is paid very well and can do anything he wants to do for his family. If he wants more, fine, move on. Coaching basketball is not rocket science, there are thousands of superior minds in the US to take the job. Looking in the coaching ranks is short sighted. Look in the analytical space, preferably with some basketball knowledge and you will outperform. Underrated recruits will fill the bench and offensive sets will improve. Basketball is numbers, will and upside. Find the person that recognized those things. Find someone who can coach mental aspects of the game - not just knowing what to do but someone that can read a player and get the most from him. Frease could have been amazing if someone was there to direct him psychologically. Macura went from MVP at the start of the season to being a head case. X needs someone that can maximize talent. Maybe that person just needs to be an assistant but if Mack leaves for money, find the guy that can do all these things.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:13 pm

madness31 wrote:Coaching basketball is not rocket science, there are thousands of superior minds in the US to take the job. Looking in the coaching ranks is short sighted. .
Great idea!!
I heard that there is a guy from Chicago who might be available.
He just left his last position a couple of months ago.
He is pretty good at blaming someone else (i.e refs) if things don't go his way.
And he will tell you that he has a superior mind.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:09 pm

xu koop scoop wrote:It is the big money the coaches get that caused me to give up season tix in 2005 and games all together 3 yrs ago. Between the big money &
Scoop do you just cut and paste this same rant over and over. We get it - you stopped buying tickets in 2005. If you are so disgusted with the system, why not stop watching and following altogether? Maybe spend your time at protest marches? It is what it is. I'll keep buying tickets and going to X games as long as I am able physically and financially. You need a new routine.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”