Big Least

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
ChitownSteve

Re: Big Least

Postby ChitownSteve » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:32 am

muskiefan92 wrote:
ChitownSteve wrote:
profson wrote:Sorry, this thread is BS. Per the seeding the BE was predicted to go 3-4 in round one and that is precisely what happened. No exposure of the league, no overrating.
And to add to your point, USC again came from behind and defeated SMU, the #1 team from the AAC.
What does a team from the crappy AAC losing have to do with the epic fail of what is supposed to be a top three conference? It's been a disaster, no matter how you try to gloss over it!!
Possibly the fact that one of the BE teams, Providence, suffered a defeat at the hands of USC, which then went on to beat the top AAC team? A bit of context to a specific loss? On another thread, Providence was castigated for blowing the lead and the first post in this thread stated Providence did not belong in the Tournament.

As a few others are pointing out, merely citing the 3-4 record may not accurately portray success or failure.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:41 am

The reality is that if X and Creighton do not get injuries, the league would never have had 7 teams in to begin with. That opened up the rest of the league to get "quality wins" which were not representative of the league being strong, rather just attrition and good timing. The Providences and Seton Hall's of the world generally never reached the tourney because the 16 team Big East was deeper and more physica,l and they were generally left at the door step. This league is much more perimeter oriented and the grind is not as bad which has helped the holdovers from the original configuration. Nova has benefited as much as anyone. Real play starts today as all the crazy seeding starts to weed itself out after round one.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:32 pm

So this is what we are going to quibble about folks? On a day where we are playing a mighty opponent for the opportunity to reach the Sweet 16... I find this rather sad. Plenty of time to dissect the Big East results versus others when the dust settles. Besides, TheCoach nails it in the prior post. So how about we worry about how X, with our depleted guard resources, will handle the length & quickness of FSU? Will they trap up or press and can we get enough open looks and stick a few. Will Rashid G. be able to finally display his strength and provide a few much needed rebounds? This should be an enjoyable day as we await the big game tonight.........
powell1971

Postby powell1971 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:46 pm

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! X-Lucidity!!!

Where this season was 2 weeks ago, to be playing FSU tonight for the right to go to the Sweet 16, And X-Expert and Muskiefan92 want to be 2 big losers and talk crap about the Big East!?!?! Are you guys serious?!?!? Instead of posting this garbage, why don't you go to the mall and tell a bunch of kids that Santa Claus doesn't exist. That would probably make you guys feel better.

Some of these posts are a joke. After the game Thursday, just for grins and giggles went back to see what all the posters were saying on the game thread. And if you didn't know the outcome of the game already, you would have thought X lost by 20 points. Not until the final whistle, its 90% negative crap and criticism of everyone. Can you people just please enjoy the program we have at Xavier, and just enjoy the ride every once in awhile. I have never posted, but when X-Expert started the Big Least thread today, I just had to chime in. And if you guys can, please stay at the mall until at least 8:30 tonight when the game will be over.. Thanks.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Expert simply put up a thought provoking post......about basketball! I agree with some of his points, and disagree w/others. I think some of his opinions are premature, but ironically, thru its short tenure, the league has resembled the former football B.E. teams, who rarely performed well in the bowl games. Frankly, outside of Nova last yeat, the league has not fared well overall.

However, the league has 3 teams left to hopefully let the nation know that Nova isn't the only legitimate contender in the tourney again, and the rest are paper tigers. X has a legitimate excuse this year.....but certainly blew a big opp last year, with the best team in their history, imo.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:35 pm

profson wrote:Sorry, this thread is BS. Per the seeding the BE was predicted to go 3-4 in round one and that is precisely what happened. No exposure of the league, no overrating.
Spot on.
X won as a higher seed and CU lost as a lower seed.
The rest followed where their seed was.
Agree with another post - If Watson and Sumner don't go down to season ending injuries, think BE would have only gotten 5 bids albeit ones with lower seeds, especially for X and CU.
At one point, I believe Butler, Nova, CU and X were all ranked in the top 15 at the same time.
At this point, I could care less what the BE does as a whole. Just hope X can pull off the upset tonight.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
N67ER

Postby N67ER » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:31 pm

muskiefan92 wrote:I agree. This is the most overrated conference in the country. Anyone who thinks differently didn't witness the embarrassing perfomances by Creighton and Marquette.
Could not disagree more. Marquette was the lower seed and deservedly so. Creighton lost as a 6th seed, but was probably over seeded. CU beat X on an incredible 3 Point shooting performance. If they had lost the Xavior, their seeding would've probably been in the 9 to 10 range. Which is pretty much what they deserved after they lost their stellar point guard. I just don't see the big east as having had an epic failure at this point. Perhaps your expectations were too high muskiefan92.
powell1971

Postby powell1971 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:23 pm

OMG!!!! Wisconsin might beat Villanova. MAN THE BIG EAST SURE DOES SUCK!!! MAYBE THE WORST CONFERENCE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NCAA. WISH WE WERE STILL BACK PLAYING IN THE OLD MCC IN THE GARDENS. DONT EVEN CARE ABOUT THE XAVIER-FSU GAME TONIGHT IF NOVA LOSES, THE BIG EAST IS SO TERRIBLE THAT ANY REMAINING TEAMS LEFT SHOULD JUST BE KICKED OUT OF THE TOURNEY (Of course sarcasm, but when i read posts like X-Expert and Muskieman92, to me it sounds the same as this ridiculous post.)

GO XAVIER!!!!!!!!!!!!
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:53 pm

X-Expert wrote:Thank God X won-NOVA and Butler continue to hold the flag in Big East but the rest of the conference has really been exposed. I believe someone said during X's 6 game losing streak that X would still be on top of A-10. If that is the case, X must have really laid an egg against Creighton because URI (who had to win tourney to get in) dominated Creighton from start to finish. Disappointed in Marquette, Creighton, and SHU. I never thought Providence deserved to get in
Cu looked out of sync the whole game. URI has peaked at the right time with the win they are 9-1 in the last 10. CU's normally great shooters only shot 30% from the 3 and shot 68% from the line. CU played at URI's pace and CU's potential "1st rounder" acted like a typical wide eyed freshman in his first NCAA game and when he fouled out CU had no chance. I understand how you like to denigrate the BE by comparing them to the A-10 success but the top tow teams of the A-10 are going home and URI is their only team left and Oregon will probably make that short, although I don't mind an Oregon loss. Now the BE had more teams in but the top two teams are still in the dance while the A-10 has lost their top 2 teams. I'd be willing to bet head to head that night in and night out the BE would win 80-90% of the matchups. Marquette and Seton hall were both the underdogs in their games and both had players that were key that got into foul trouble and had they shot their normal percentage they would have won going away.

I will give you disappointing but not the Big Least. When the BE played no one out of conference and claimed their league was great and then getting good seeds and flaming out before getting them to the round of 32. Then they were the Big least!
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:16 pm

Looks like Wisconsin is the BE Killer again this year.
Nova on back to back possessions have Hart try to dribble drive to the basket and both times got stuffed by Wisconsin.
Sounds a little a familiar to last year.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”