Big Least

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center

Re: Big Least

Postby muskieman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm

xu koop scoop wrote:Big East doing fine at Round of 16. 3 SEC Teams (Ky, Fla, SC_) 3 PAC (AZ, UCLA, Ore) 3 Big 12 (KAN, BAY, W V) 3 Big 10 (WIS, MICH, PUR)
2 Big East (BUT, XU) 1 WCC (ZAGS) & 1 ACC (N CAR). The ACC had 9 teams with only 1 left. Yes, ACC is overrated. There are only 7 conferences represented in Sweet 16 & Big East has 2 teams left out of 7 or 28% of their entries. Only 23% of original field is left.

as I said before the realignment of the BE it could be called the Big least and as a proof those "better" teams that left the New Big East, How are they doing in the dance? (crickets chirping sound)
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Xavier2005
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby Xavier2005 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:00 pm

most said the ACC was the best before the Tournaments started. Now they say the ACC is/was way over rated. It is not how you start the race or the middle of the race , but how you finish.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 pm

muskieman wrote:
xu koop scoop wrote:Big East doing fine at Round of 16. 3 SEC Teams (Ky, Fla, SC_) 3 PAC (AZ, UCLA, Ore) 3 Big 12 (KAN, BAY, W V) 3 Big 10 (WIS, MICH, PUR)
2 Big East (BUT, XU) 1 WCC (ZAGS) & 1 ACC (N CAR). The ACC had 9 teams with only 1 left. Yes, ACC is overrated. There are only 7 conferences represented in Sweet 16 & Big East has 2 teams left out of 7 or 28% of their entries. Only 23% of original field is left.

as I said before the realignment of the BE it could be called the Big least and as a proof those "better" teams that left the New Big East, How are they doing in the dance? (crickets chirping sound)

Mman,

It's not even close as to which is better: the old one is infinitely better, as is the new ACC. Ironically, the only team to advance past the SW 16 in the new BE, is a team who was only decent in the old BE, Nova. Hopefully, that will change this year, but the season isn't over, though I don't think it will change anything. I don't know if this list is complete, but from memory, I know Syracuse was in the FF in 2016, Conn won in 14, and Louisville in 13. ND has also made it to at least 2 E-8s in the last 4 years.

As far as the old ACC teams go, I don't know much about their overall performance, but NC was in the championship game last year, and Duke won it in 15.' The argument is as hollow as saying this year's ACC is the best conference in college football, because Clemson won it last year. Compare the last four years, and the SEC is far superior.

As my friend and Board Mentor, please don't embarrass me again, or I'll resign as your basketball consigliere. Guys like X-Lucidity and Edgecliff would be glad to replace you in a heartbeat.
kyzrex
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby kyzrex » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:40 am

Looking at results from ONE WEEKEND of games, and deciding from that just how good a whole conference is or isn't is laughable IMO. So much of the opening weekend of the NCAA tourney is decided by matchups and/or other factors that have an effect on how individual players and teams play in the games, that it is hardly a reliable barometer of just how good a whole conference is. I don't get the whole "Big Least" argument or even the argument about how "bad" the ACC is. Look at the body of work from the whole season or from mulitiple seasons.
#WHYNOTX?
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:48 am

Can we put this thread to rest - place it in its proper grave? The initial post was a silly knee-jerk emotional regurgitation by a dude who had just watched 1/5th of a great sporting event. Many posters have put him in his place with many terrific follow-up posts. (including the previous post by Kyzrex above which was short, sweet & very spot-on). Seton Hall "woulda-shoulda-coulda" beat Arkansas, (which just took NC to the wire). Marquette played toe to toe for 35 min with SC which just beat Duke. As some other poster insightfully pointed out, if X and Creighton do not lose their all-star PG's, Marquette and Prov are not even in this dance. Prov had USC dead & buried but got cold down the stretch. Oh yes, that same USC team that beat media darling SMU and took Baylor to the brink..... Nova succumbed to the same trap, and incredible clutch-shot making dude in Bronson Koenig, that X did last year. When a player shines like Koenig does when it counts the most - you simply tip your cap as that is the beauty of this sport. The Big East is just fine. I have heard many announcers who admit that in NCAA b-ball it is the "Big 6" power conferences, as opposed to 5 in football. G-Town and DePaul need to step it up. The rest are on the rise or already there.
So, can we delete this thread oh ye mighty Muskie-Madness administrators...? I hereby deem this one a 'dead horse' needing no more beatings.
Besides, I believe we have a big game coming up to get pumped about........
Let's Go X...!
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:31 pm

X-lucidity wrote:Can we put this thread to rest - place it in its proper grave? The initial post was a silly knee-jerk emotional regurgitation by a dude who had just watched 1/5th of a great sporting event. Many posters have put him in his place with many terrific follow-up posts. (including the previous post by Kyzrex above which was short, sweet & very spot-on). Seton Hall "woulda-shoulda-coulda" beat Arkansas, (which just took NC to the wire). Marquette played toe to toe for 35 min with SC which just beat Duke. As some other poster insightfully pointed out, if X and Creighton do not lose their all-star PG's, Marquette and Prov are not even in this dance. Prov had USC dead & buried but got cold down the stretch. Oh yes, that same USC team that beat media darling SMU and took Baylor to the brink..... Nova succumbed to the same trap, and incredible clutch-shot making dude in Bronson Koenig, that X did last year. When a player shines like Koenig does when it counts the most - you simply tip your cap as that is the beauty of this sport. The Big East is just fine. I have heard many announcers who admit that in NCAA b-ball it is the "Big 6" power conferences, as opposed to 5 in football. G-Town and DePaul need to step it up. The rest are on the rise or already there.
So, can we delete this thread oh ye mighty Muskie-Madness administrators...? I hereby deem this one a 'dead horse' needing no more beatings.
Besides, I believe we have a big game coming up to get pumped about........
Let's Go X...!

Any more ifs and what ifs to make excuses here. Cmon Lucidity no one knows what would have happened but if they don't get cold; if they didn't lose their PG. Would love to have Ed but didn't X lose at home with Ed against Creighton. I get your point but use facts rather than ifs in the future. Sound like UC trolls saying if Kenyon Martin doesn't get hurt they are national champs; if Art Long doesn't punch a horse, that horse wins the triple crown. we can only discuss facts.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:49 pm

X-pert, I was not implying 'facts'. Just my opinions from watching those games with high interest. Did you watch them? Then you would have seen our weaker Big East teams competing well with USC, SC and Ark. Lot's of "if's" involved as that was my main point. This tourney is built on "if's" which is what makes it magic and why you can't base the final determination on a league on just W's and L's in the dance without at least some analysis. Point is, our league is just fine and well respected. THAT IS THE POINT. If Nova does not uncharacteristically melt down the stretch, (missed FT's, turnover and poor shot selection), then the Big E has 3 teams which would equal any league high and the Big-10 would have 2. Either way the ACC has only one and will still be considered the best league heading into next season. ie: this is a stupid thread.
P.S. UC would have been the CLEAR odds on fave to win it all had Kenyon not gone down. They were damn good. To deny that is also stupid.
I respect all opinions on here, that said, does not mean some are just plain wrong.
Now, as far as I am concerned, it's on to Arizona.....
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
muskieman wrote:

Mman,

It's not even close as to which is better: the old one is infinitely better, as is the new ACC. Ironically, the only team to advance past the SW 16 in the new BE, is a team who was only decent in the old BE, Nova. Hopefully, that will change this year, but the season isn't over, though I don't think it will change anything. I don't know if this list is complete, but from memory, I know Syracuse was in the FF in 2016, Conn won in 14, and Louisville in 13. ND has also made it to at least 2 E-8s in the last 4 years.

As far as the old ACC teams go, I don't know much about their overall performance, but NC was in the championship game last year, and Duke won it in 15.' The argument is as hollow as saying this year's ACC is the best conference in college football, because Clemson won it last year. Compare the last four years, and the SEC is far superior.

As my friend and Board Mentor, please don't embarrass me again, or I'll resign as your basketball consigliere. Guys like X-Lucidity and Edgecliff would be glad to replace you in a heartbeat.

can't resign from something you never were...please get back on your meds.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:20 am

X-lucidity wrote:X-pert, I was not implying 'facts'. Just my opinions from watching those games with high interest. Did you watch them? Then you would have seen our weaker Big East teams competing well with USC, SC and Ark. Lot's of "if's" involved as that was my main point. This tourney is built on "if's" which is what makes it magic and why you can't base the final determination on a league on just W's and L's in the dance without at least some analysis. Point is, our league is just fine and well respected. THAT IS THE POINT. If Nova does not uncharacteristically melt down the stretch, (missed FT's, turnover and poor shot selection), then the Big E has 3 teams which would equal any league high and the Big-10 would have 2. Either way the ACC has only one and will still be considered the best league heading into next season. ie: this is a stupid thread.
P.S. UC would have been the CLEAR odds on fave to win it all had Kenyon not gone down. They were damn good. To deny that is also stupid.
I respect all opinions on here, that said, does not mean some are just plain wrong.
Now, as far as I am concerned, it's on to Arizona.....

Agree to disagree here and on to Zona

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”