Muskie recruits

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
VeroMuskie
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Muskie recruits

Postby VeroMuskie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:11 am

How fired up are all of our 2017/18 recruiting class members seeeing us in the sweet 16.....me thinks some of the ones who made a decision to go elsewhere must be thinking....wtf did I do!
XU80

Re: Muskie recruits

Postby XU80 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:22 am

Hmm, like Mr Wilkes if Alford decides to bolt for IU?
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 am

VeroMuskie wrote:How fired up are all of our 2017/18 recruiting class members seeeing us in the sweet 16.....me thinks some of the ones who made a decision to go elsewhere must be thinking....wtf did I do!

kind of like DSR from Georgetown
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:41 pm

It will be interesting, b/c AZ has the recruit who was seriously considering X, until Goodin signed, in Kobi Simmons. I haven't seen him play much, but his stats look good for the minutes played.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:40 pm

Look for IU to come hard after Mack hard if they can't get Alford (or don't want him which they might not)
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:28 pm

olsingledigit wrote:Look for IU to come hard after Mack hard if they can't get Alford (or don't want him which they might not)

I think he will be in the mix, as he is in the region, has a very solid record during his tenure, recruits well in Indy (along w/Steele), and is making a nice run in the tourney. However, whenever any top 10-15 coaching job opens up, there are always 30-40 schools who fret their coach might leave. Other than what has already been mentioned, the success of his predecessors at X going from mid to high-major leagues will give IU greater confidence he would be up to the task.

X can only pay so much, so if someone offers a hefty raise, he may leave. He was going to CA of all places but was vetoed by his wife. However, who could blame him if he did leave? He has to do what's best for him and his family.
jerry92

Postby jerry92 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:32 pm

What makes this all interesting is that Steele has worked at IU before - everytime we have some success we face this challenge with our head coach - almost a natural cycle at X - the problem as I see it is that there is not an assistant coach in waiting on the current staff that could fill the bill - it could be the first time since Matta that we have to go outside - hopefully this will all pass but at some point there has to be a limit on what we can pay Mack if the college wants to remain financial viable.
Getreal

Postby Getreal » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Kelsey is probably ready if Mack chooses "greener pastures"
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:56 pm

I think Steele is definitely ready, but the choice would probably be Kelsey.

Don't think Mack is leaving. Mark Few is one of his closest coaching friends and he realizes the security of Gonzaga. Crean, Grove and others think they can turn these programs into final fours, but then they have to do it every year or they are fired and end up at Central Florida.

I do think Steele will find a good MAC school in the near future, but my guess Chris stays.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 pm

With all due respect to Steele & Kelsey, if CM does leave, I hope X conducts a national search, as the program merits a more proven coach. One of only 8 teams or so to make the SW 16 6x in the past 10 years, Forbes top 20 bball program, private plane to recruit, state of the art facilities, no competition from football for resources..... X survived quite nicely when TM & SM left, and I suspect if CM leaves, the program will continue to thrive, especially if they target the guy 60 miles north.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”