The Run

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-Expert

The Run

Postby X-Expert » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:45 pm

With Chalmers in Orlando and people talking how this was similar to that year, I didn't buy it...but now, I'm convinced there are a lot of similarities. While that team won last 16 of 18 and torched #1 St Joes by 40, the players on this team now have similarities. That team had Chalmers and Sato all year and Myles came to play in the tourney. This team has Bluitt JP and here comes SOM. That team had Dedrick Finn, now there is Goodin. Finn was a better shooter but Goodin is playing very smart. He knows his limitations. Best part is the zone. Matta switched to a zone mid-year and it was so good. I have not liked the 1-3-1 all year or the offense. Mack changed to a 2-3 which has not only stifled the opposing teams but the different look has made the 1-3-1 even better. Offensively, somehow X now has 3 good bigs with SOM really stepping up. I never knew he could pass the way he did. His confidence (especially at the line) is through the roof. I watched FSU and thought X would get blown out. They are huge, fast, and deep. Mack absolutely outcoached him. That play to SOM underneath worked both times. I would have bet the ranch on Arizona 2 weeks ago, now I am hoping to join my nephew in Arizona.
mumuskie87

Re: The Run

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Some other similarities -
1) Both 04 and 17 teams played the 1st 2 rounds in Orlando
2) Basketball Jones and Q started in Thursday's and Saturday's games. Last time X started 2 freshman in a NCAA tournament game was 2004 - the Justins - Doellman and Cage
3) Trevon has 1,550 career points and 16th place. He is six points behind the guy in 15th who happens to be Lionel Chalmers.

Destiny.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:14 pm

X-Expert wrote:With Chalmers in Orlando and people talking how this was similar to that year, I didn't buy it...but now, I'm convinced there are a lot of similarities. While that team won last 16 of 18 and torched #1 St Joes by 40, the players on this team now have similarities. That team had Chalmers and Sato all year and Myles came to play in the tourney. This team has Bluitt JP and here comes SOM. That team had Dedrick Finn, now there is Goodin. Finn was a better shooter but Goodin is playing very smart. He knows his limitations. Best part is the zone. Matta switched to a zone mid-year and it was so good. I have not liked the 1-3-1 all year or the offense. Mack changed to a 2-3 which has not only stifled the opposing teams but the different look has made the 1-3-1 even better. Offensively, somehow X now has 3 good bigs with SOM really stepping up. I never knew he could pass the way he did. His confidence (especially at the line) is through the roof. I watched FSU and thought X would get blown out. They are huge, fast, and deep. Mack absolutely outcoached him. That play to SOM underneath worked both times. I would have bet the ranch on Arizona 2 weeks ago, now I am hoping to join my nephew in Arizona.
I read somewhere that SOM has been practicing hard on his FT's.
It's definitely paid off.
The last 5 games he is 21-24 from the line - 88%.
He has improved his FT% each year - 47% as a freshman, 60% as a soph and up to 72% as a junior.
Way to go Big Sean aka The Lumberjack.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:49 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
X-Expert wrote:With Chalmers in Orlando and people talking how this was similar to that year, I didn't buy it...but now, I'm convinced there are a lot of similarities. While that team won last 16 of 18 and torched #1 St Joes by 40, the players on this team now have similarities. That team had Chalmers and Sato all year and Myles came to play in the tourney. This team has Bluitt JP and here comes SOM. That team had Dedrick Finn, now there is Goodin. Finn was a better shooter but Goodin is playing very smart. He knows his limitations. Best part is the zone. Matta switched to a zone mid-year and it was so good. I have not liked the 1-3-1 all year or the offense. Mack changed to a 2-3 which has not only stifled the opposing teams but the different look has made the 1-3-1 even better. Offensively, somehow X now has 3 good bigs with SOM really stepping up. I never knew he could pass the way he did. His confidence (especially at the line) is through the roof. I watched FSU and thought X would get blown out. They are huge, fast, and deep. Mack absolutely outcoached him. That play to SOM underneath worked both times. I would have bet the ranch on Arizona 2 weeks ago, now I am hoping to join my nephew in Arizona.
He has improved his FT% each year - 47% as a freshman, 60% as a soph and up to 72% as a junior.
Its about confidence with any player. When X beat Butler, they ran that out of bounds play to SOM and he had a wide open lay-up and he dropped the ball. Macura got on him after he missed it. Now he is the #3 option and he is expecting the ball. I really thought X would struggle with FSU and that SOM would be a non-event. He didn't score like he did against Maryland but was efficient. His passing though was huge. He is a actually a threat which opens things up for others right now.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:38 pm

X-Expert wrote:
mumuskie87 wrote:
Its about confidence with any player. When X beat Butler, they ran that out of bounds play to SOM and he had a wide open lay-up and he dropped the ball. Macura got on him after he missed it. Now he is the #3 option and he is expecting the ball. I really thought X would struggle with FSU and that SOM would be a non-event. He didn't score like he did against Maryland but was efficient. His passing though was huge. He is a actually a threat which opens things up for others right now.

He has great footwork, and he expects to score. He could have scored more, but he is the consummate team player, and let the game come to him.
Stats clearly aren't his main concern. Despite that look at his line (I also included Gates, b/c he played another great game). SOM is turning into a good shot blocker as well.

MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS

K. GatesF 30 5-6 4-5 0-0 0 5 5 2 0 0 1 1 14
S. O'MaraF 21 2-2 0-0 7-7 0 5 5 3 1 3 1 2 11

His passing is what surprises me most though. He is decisive, and rarely gets caught in doubles. 10 games ago, everyone was lamenting that X would be hurting in the post next year with SOM & Jones. Not anymore. I was happy to be the calming force on the board. You're welcome.

BTW Expert, I hope your ankles healed from when you jumped off of the bandwagon 3 weeks ago, with guys like Hops, Muskienick, and for a fleeting moment.....my Board Mentor Mman.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”