Is Rashid in the doghouse?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Lead Guitar

Is Rashid in the doghouse?

Postby Lead Guitar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:26 pm

From starter to two minutes?
I realize O'Mara and Jones played well, but I am still surprised at the 2 minutes. Any inside info? We will need his big body and 5 fouls against Arizon.
X-lucidity
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center

Re: Is Rashid in the doghouse?

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:22 pm

I have of course no inside information and will leave that up to those that do. However Rashid was in the game in the first half yesterday on a normal rotation early. He picked up two quick fouls and seemed a step slow. Both Jones and Sean were playing great. I think Mac was just riding the hot hands, and why the heck not. I would expect Rashid to have every chance to earn more minutes this week in practice and during next Thursday's game, we shall see. Just glad Sean is playing so well now as it adds a completely new wrinkle for the other team to prepare for!
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Shid is not quick enough and not an offensive threat to hang with tournament teams. Jones and Sean are better match ups. Most of Shid's really productive games we have lost.
hoosiermuskie

Postby hoosiermuskie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:46 pm

CM thought Shid was good enough to start many games in regular season. Jones and SOM playing very well. Just wondering myself
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Going with hot hands and that's Sean and Tyrique right now.
XU85

Postby XU85 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Shid seems like a great guy, but he is overmatched against decent post players. I felt bad for him not seeing much floor time, but give Mack credit for not worrying about hurting his feelings and going with Sean and Tyrique. Sean and to a lesser extent Tyrique playing their best ball of the season.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:39 pm

bluegrass wrote:Going with hot hands and that's Sean and Tyrique right now.
I THINK it is like bluegrass said. There are no rules they have to get equal minutes and if one guy is playing well he will get minutes. TJ and Gaston got 9 and 10 minutes respectively and Sean got 21 against Maryland and against FSU Sean again had 21 and with Gaston in foul trouble early Chris went with TJ, who was doing a bang up job. Who know who will go off on Zona, maybe all of them will because we will need a big presence inside.
I think what is important is Sean, so far, is showing how X's big men get better and by year three start to come into their own and become productive. I guess all talk of wanting him to leave after this year is over... and you know who I am talking about.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
finalfourorbust

Postby finalfourorbust » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:30 am

muskieman wrote:
bluegrass wrote:Going with hot hands and that's Sean and Tyrique right now.
I THINK it is like bluegrass said. There are no rules they have to get equal minutes and if one guy is playing well he will get minutes. TJ and Gaston got 9 and 10 minutes respectively and Sean got 21 against Maryland and against FSU Sean again had 21 and with Gaston in foul trouble early Chris went with TJ, who was doing a bang up job. Who know who will go off on Zona, maybe all of them will because we will need a big presence inside.
I think what is important is Sean, so far, is showing how X's big men get better and by year three start to come into their own and become productive. I guess all talk of wanting him to leave after this year is over... and you know who I am talking about.

I think Xavier's increased use of the zone defenses is a factor in which of the bigs get the playing time. Sean seems to fit much better in the zone defenses.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:40 am

Agree that Sean and Tyrique seem to understand their role and spacing in zone defense. Shid has the tendency to get stuck on the perimeter, which creates a mis match.
xu koop scoop
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby xu koop scoop » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 am

Rashid was featured extensively when Bluiett was out and I believe had 3 straight double doubles. We lost all 3 of those games. As the 2-3 zone
started being used more often & Bluiett returned his playing time has decreased but was still getting 10 minutes or so per game till the last game where he only had 2 minutes. He will continue to get opportunities every game and if he shines well in the 1st half of the game, he should see minutes increasing. Sadly, his pathetic 50% FT shooting keeps his time down as he can't make them and teams won't hesitate to foul him. O'mara is over 70% FT & over 90% in NCAA Tourney & adapting to Zone Defense Scheme. Jones concussion seems behind him now & maybe his patellar tendenitis is doing better. I congratulate the Coaching staff for the sudden improvement in Jones & O'mara.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”