Arizona fan wishing Musketeer fans good luck on Thurs!

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Wildcat
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Arizona fan wishing Musketeer fans good luck on Thurs!

Postby Wildcat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Just wanted to wish all of you good luck on Thursday as it should be quite a battle! Hope you don't mind that I signed up and decided to stop in and post. I'm not a troll, will not troll this site and in fact have a lot of respect for your Xavier program having followed you mostly since the Thad Matta days but also back in the 90's too. I view Xavier as a premier basketball program as there are not many programs that can continue to enjoy success despite losing quality coaches from time to time. Just shows your program is far greater than any individual coach who has come your way!

As far as the game on Thursday, I think you can basically throw out the records, any Vegas lines or previous games between these two programs. Both coaches know each other too well so I don't believe there is going to be one who outcoaches the other. I see it coming down to the player matchups. We have a little more size upfront while your guards will have a few inches on our guards. The player for your Musketeers who I believe can stand out of course is Trevon. I assume Allonzo Trier from my Cats will match up on him mostly and while Trier is a good defender, he is far from great. I think the best we can hope for is that Trevon isn't able to shoot as well from behind the arc as he did the first weekend of the tournament - this will allow Trier to settle in to our traditional pack-line D and see if Trevon can beat us to the basket.

The player who I see having a potentially big day for our Cats is Lauri Markkanen. He's a load for any defense as he plays more like a stretch 4 who has no problem taking and hitting three pointers or posting up down low. He has also greatly improved on the defensive end over the past month. I read in another thread on this board that my Cats do not have athletic or quick 7 footers. That may be true when it comes to Dusan Ristic who happens to be a starter (has been losing minutes recently because he hasn't been able to defend well or move as quickly as we like at times) but that is definitely not the case when it comes to Lauri or Chance Comanche.

As far as overall team strategy, I assume your team is going to throw a lot of zone coverages on us. We have had our struggles at times against zone defenses (although we have done quite well against zone defenses the past few weeks) so that could prove to be a factor. My Cats will have to get the ball in to our bigs early and often to draw fouls and create openings along the arc for our guards to try and knock down some open 3's. When your Musketeers are on offense, I think the key is going to be hitting your three point shots early and often. This tends to frustrate our defense/confidence and could force Miller to deviate from his beloved pack line defense. You don't need to hit 65% as you did against Florida State but 45% or higher could certainly be a game changer.
edgecliff hall

Re: Arizona fan wishing Musketeer fans good luck on Thurs!

Postby edgecliff hall » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Thanx.
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks, Sean!
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you
Ralph Waldo Emerson
xu koop scoop

Postby xu koop scoop » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:33 pm

To wildcat, though I despise Arizona basketball, my least favorite team and I have explained why - I do actually appreciate your comments on
the matchup & as I watch the game I can better appreciate Arizona's personnel and strategy due to your comments. Thanks for visiting and commenting :ugeek:

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”