Arizona

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
PaulHickey

Arizona

Postby PaulHickey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Time to get to it. How does Xavier match up against this team and how does this game differ from two years ago?

No doubt that X will have it's hands full in this one. I can't think of another Big that we have faced all year with the skills of Markkanen. Kid can rebound, play post, pass and hit threes. They distribute the ball well and have a deep bench. However, you cannot deny that Xavier heads into this game with great confidence. Zona reminds me of Xavier last year - they're expected to win. No one expected Xavier to do much after Ed went down: two weeks ago this team was on the outside looking in. They're having fun, enjoying the ride and playing together.

Two years ago Xavier freaked out under the lights until they calmed down. If I recall, Dee had a couple of early turnovers, and it took some time before Stainbrook got into his groove. It never felt like we were in the game. I'm hoping that won't be the case this time around - Xavier has nothing to lose and for me, it's all gravy from here. The FSU game was the most complete performance X has had since? Maybe Villanova at home last year.

Xavier takes it 76-72.

Go Xavier!
X-Expert

Re: Arizona

Postby X-Expert » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:23 pm

My fear is that Miller is a great defensive coach. One break X got is that while FSU is a very talented team, Hamilton is a horrible coach. I think that while he may not take Bluett out of the mix, he will slow him down. Macura has been good but need him to have a great game (ala Bluett). One thing you saw with Maryland and FSU is that they guarded Goodin fairly close like he was a shooting threat. Millers pack line D will either force Goodin to make shots or have tougher looks for our shooters. Macura may need to play more point which I don't really like but they may need a shooter at that spot. Then the bigs. X three bigs have to continue to get touches to try to get their bigs in foul trouble. X must hit 3s, rebound, limit turnovers, and most importantly, Goodin, Bluett, and Macura have to stay out of foul trouble. There will be a lot of zone played in this game by both team
Wildcat

Postby Wildcat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Just a couple responses from an Arizona perspective:

1. Yes, no doubt the pressure is on Arizona for this one. Given the landscape of staying out West including the Final Four being held in the State of Arizona, the path will never get any better when it comes to geography. Throw in the fact that Miller hasn't been able to get over the Elite Eight hurdle yet and Wildcat fans are going to be disappointed if we are not cutting down the nets on Saturday.

2. I wouldn't expect much zone at all from Arizona. Even though Kenpom identifies Arizona's defense this year as being "inconclusive", we are a man defense first and foremost. Miller rarely resorts to zone defense even if its clear as day that we need to make the switch! One of the few times we switched to zone/double teams this season was in facing up to Karnowski from Gonzaga. Ristic wasn't able to handle him and Lauri wasn't capable of defending him back in December on his own. Unless Xavier has a big that is shredding us in the frontcourt, I doubt Miller throws in a zone.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:02 am

Wildcat wrote:Just a couple responses from an Arizona perspective:

1. Yes, no doubt the pressure is on Arizona for this one. Given the landscape of staying out West including the Final Four being held in the State of Arizona, the path will never get any better when it comes to geography. Throw in the fact that Miller hasn't been able to get over the Elite Eight hurdle yet and Wildcat fans are going to be disappointed if we are not cutting down the nets on Saturday.

2. I wouldn't expect much zone at all from Arizona. Even though Kenpom identifies Arizona's defense this year as being "inconclusive", we are a man defense first and foremost. Miller rarely resorts to zone defense even if its clear as day that we need to make the switch! One of the few times we switched to zone/double teams this season was in facing up to Karnowski from Gonzaga. Ristic wasn't able to handle him and Lauri wasn't capable of defending him back in December on his own. Unless Xavier has a big that is shredding us in the frontcourt, I doubt Miller throws in a zone.
Wildcat I have a question for you. I realize Miller hasn't been to FF yet with Zona. He was getting X to that spot before he left leaving the year of our last Elite 8 run. what are the fans perspective of him in Arizona? Sounds like the expectation there is at least a FF which I get given the success but overall, does the fanbase like him. Absolutely loved his timeout against UCLA. When he was here, he refused the mid-major award.
bmuskies

Postby bmuskies » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 am

X-Expert wrote:My fear is that Miller is a great defensive coach. One break X got is that while FSU is a very talented team, Hamilton is a horrible coach. I think that while he may not take Bluett out of the mix, he will slow him down. Macura has been good but need him to have a great game (ala Bluett). One thing you saw with Maryland and FSU is that they guarded Goodin fairly close like he was a shooting threat. Millers pack line D will either force Goodin to make shots or have tougher looks for our shooters. Macura may need to play more point which I don't really like but they may need a shooter at that spot. Then the bigs. X three bigs have to continue to get touches to try to get their bigs in foul trouble. X must hit 3s, rebound, limit turnovers, and most importantly, Goodin, Bluett, and Macura have to stay out of foul trouble. There will be a lot of zone played in this game by both team
I don't mind Macura at all at point he had 5 assists and only 1 to vs florida st. in his last game. I actually like him bringing the ball up the court just needs to find his shot against Zona!
webxu

Postby webxu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:33 am

PaulHickey wrote:Time to get to it. How does Xavier match up against this team and how does this game differ from two years ago?

No doubt that X will have it's hands full in this one. I can't think of another Big that we have faced all year with the skills of Markkanen. Kid can rebound, play post, pass and hit threes. They distribute the ball well and have a deep bench. However, you cannot deny that Xavier heads into this game with great confidence. Zona reminds me of Xavier last year - they're expected to win. No one expected Xavier to do much after Ed went down: two weeks ago this team was on the outside looking in. They're having fun, enjoying the ride and playing together.

Two years ago Xavier freaked out under the lights until they calmed down. If I recall, Dee had a couple of early turnovers, and it took some time before Stainbrook got into his groove. It never felt like we were in the game. I'm hoping that won't be the case this time around - Xavier has nothing to lose and for me, it's all gravy from here. The FSU game was the most complete performance X has had since? Maybe Villanova at home last year.

Xavier takes it 76-72.

Go Xavier!
Felt like we were never in the game? we were winning with 7 mins to go.. id say that is in the game. LETS GO X!

"With its 14th straight victory, Arizona has another chance to reach its first the Final Four since 2001, but only after answering when Xavier moved ahead early in the second half. The Musketeers led 53-49 with seven minutes remaining before the Wildcats finally went to work."
xu koop scoop

Postby xu koop scoop » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:21 am

Happy to have a rematch with Coach Miller and Arizona. Also, there is not a single team in this country that I dislike more than Arizona.
The reason why I will explain and should be remembered by others. ARIZONA had a road game scheduled at A-10 ST JOE'S in 1996. ST JOES
had just lost to #1 UMASS in OT & there was snow projected in Philly. Days before the game LUTE OLSEN of Arizona announces the game has been mutually cancelled by both schools. A total lie. COACH MARTELLI of ST JOES went berserk as he never agreed to the cancellation. The crowd showed up on game day at ST JOES. The tipoff happened & ST JOES put in a layup & requested a win by forfeit. The NCAA refused to recognize this and awarded ARIZONA the cancellation. The snowstorm that was predicted never hit & on game day it was raining in Philly with temps in the upper 30s. Other games were played in that area the same day. LUTE OLSEN had privately stated his team could have played, but the OT loss to #1 UMASS - less than a week before ARIZONA was to travel to ST JOES made OLSEN realize this was a losable game for AZ. OLSEN offered to make up the game the following season but MARTELLI told him the only way they would EVER PLAY would be in a Tournament game as ARIZONA had proved to have ABSOLUTELY NO CLASS when they cancelled the ST JOES game. ST JOES pushed the NCAA to have ARIZONA travel to Philly for a makeup date that same season. The NCAA refused. Since then I have hated the NCAA & ARIZONA is my most hated school in the NCAA and COACH MARTELLI and ST JOES to this day is my favorite team aside from XAVIER. ps- I wish we would schedule ST JOES home and away. SO GO XU - DESTROY THOSE COWARDS FROM ARIZONA lINK TO STORY: http://wc.arizona.edu/papers/89/78/11_1_m.html
PaulHickey

Postby PaulHickey » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:40 am

Didn't Xavier beat Arizona once on a half court heave as time expired? Perhaps in the Lumpkin/Lenny Brown days? Hmmmm...
Wildcat

Postby Wildcat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:49 am

X-Expert wrote:Wildcat I have a question for you. I realize Miller hasn't been to FF yet with Zona. He was getting X to that spot before he left leaving the year of our last Elite 8 run. what are the fans perspective of him in Arizona? Sounds like the expectation there is at least a FF which I get given the success but overall, does the fanbase like him. Absolutely loved his timeout against UCLA. When he was here, he refused the mid-major award.
We love the guy, no question about it. His recruiting has been incredible and he is a solid x's and o's coach. He even has a stock option worth several million (I believe over 10 million at this point) just to make sure money isn't an issue in keeping him here as long as possible . He is top 5 or 6 overall in terms of coaching salary and I believe the highest paid coach who hasn't been to a Final Four. He just needs to get over the hump and have a little luck in the Elite Eight! Only knock I hear every once in a while is the fact that he won't turn his offense loose and simply let them play. But its difficult to argue with the results aside from the Final Four snub.
Wildcat

Postby Wildcat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:05 am

xu koop scoop wrote:Happy to have a rematch with Coach Miller and Arizona. Also, there is not a single team in this country that I dislike more than Arizona.
The reason why I will explain and should be remembered by others. ARIZONA had a road game scheduled at A-10 ST JOE'S in 1996. ST JOES
had just lost to #1 UMASS in OT & there was snow projected in Philly. Days before the game LUTE OLSEN of Arizona announces the game has been mutually cancelled by both schools. A total lie. COACH MARTELLI of ST JOES went berserk as he never agreed to the cancellation. The crowd showed up on game day at ST JOES. The tipoff happened & ST JOES put in a layup & requested a win by forfeit. The NCAA refused to recognize this and awarded ARIZONA the cancellation. The snowstorm that was predicted never hit & on game day it was raining in Philly with temps in the upper 30s. Other games were played in that area the same day. LUTE OLSEN had privately stated his team could have played, but the OT loss to #1 UMASS - less than a week before ARIZONA was to travel to ST JOES made OLSEN realize this was a losable game for AZ. OLSEN offered to make up the game the following season but MARTELLI told him the only way they would EVER PLAY would be in a Tournament game as ARIZONA had proved to have ABSOLUTELY NO CLASS when they cancelled the ST JOES game. ST JOES pushed the NCAA to have ARIZONA travel to Philly for a makeup date that same season. The NCAA refused. Since then I have hated the NCAA & ARIZONA is my most hated school in the NCAA and COACH MARTELLI and ST JOES to this day is my favorite team aside from XAVIER. ps- I wish we would schedule ST JOES home and away. SO GO XU - DESTROY THOSE COWARDS FROM ARIZONA lINK TO STORY: http://wc.arizona.edu/papers/89/78/11_1_m.html
Oh cmon, you're calling us cowards for something that happened over 20 years ago? There are so many better reasons these days to hate Arizona! And I'll leave it at that. . .

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”