A Look Ahead at 2017 Roster

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Alpalpa
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center

A Look Ahead at 2017 Roster

Postby Alpalpa » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:28 am

Here's a quick look at our roster of scholarship players for 2017, assuming Bluiett has gone. A player's assumed back-up position is listed in parenthesis.

POINT GUARD
Edmund Sumner Jr 6'6"
Quentin Goodin So 6'3"
Paul Scruggs Fr 6'3"

SHOOTING GUARD
JP Macura Sr 6'6"
Elias Hardin Fr 6'5"
(Naji Marshall)

FORWARD
Tyrique Jones So 6'9"
Kaiser Gates Sr 6'8"
Jared Ridder Fr 6'7"
Naji Marshall Fr 6'6"

CENTER
Sean O'Mara Sr 6'10"
Brady Ernst Fr 6'10'
Kentravious Jones Fr 6'11"
(Tyrique Jones)

POSSIBLE STARTING 5
PG Sumner 6'6"
SG Macura 6'6"
PF T. Jones 6'9"
SF Gates 6'8"
C O'Mara 6'10"

Despite the staying or leaving of Trevon Bluiett, that is a strong roster that should play 10 or 11 deep. Next March looks quite promising.
oreobob

Re: A Look Ahead at 2017 Roster

Postby oreobob » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:06 am

You added teo inches to ea h player
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:09 am

Let the drama begin.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:29 am

Agree. Barring any setbacks or injuries, they should red-shirt big Kent. ( if he qualifies academically)
Rosters looks to provide tons of flexibility.
But I am still soaking in this great finish!!
xu koop scoop
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby xu koop scoop » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:52 am

Congrats to THIS roster for their strong showing in West Regional
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:10 pm

One thing that might be interesting, per eds article posted here yesterday he doesn't expect to be playing until January.

With the progress goodin made he may be the best point guard on the roster anyway. Maybe start Q with plans to just let Ed play shooting guard when he returns. He's probably more of a natural shooting guard anyway as Q is a better distributor.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:00 pm

lionelchalmers0 wrote:One thing that might be interesting, per eds article posted here yesterday he doesn't expect to be playing until January.

With the progress goodin made he may be the best point guard on the roster anyway. Maybe start Q with plans to just let Ed play shooting guard when he returns. He's probably more of a natural shooting guard anyway as Q is a better distributor.

Whether Ed leaves or stays, I don't think X can really count on him being a contributor, due to the amount of time it will take for him to have all his surgeries and rehab. If he somehow was able to return and get in shape in time for league play, There's no doubt h would play off the ball, and Goodin would be the pg. The team has its highest recruiting class ever coming in (assuming all are eligible) , along with a core of players who all showed they can compete at a high level. Not knowing how quickly the newcomers will adjust, I see this as a starting lineup:

Q
Scruggs
Macura
Gates
O'Mara.

A month ago, this lineup would have had me hyperventilating. However, they all upgraded their performance and will be pushed by a highly rated group who will compete for playing time. I wouldn't doubt that X will pick up a grad transfer, assuming there is a roster spot available.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:42 pm

No tyrique in your lineup?

It will be interesting to see how Mack handles the freshmen. His history would dictate limiting them as much as possible. However, you wonder with the emergence of Q and jones this year if he'll be willing to let the freshman get a little more playing time next year. Especially in light of how great of a class it should be.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:15 pm

Alpalpa wrote:Here's a quick look at our roster of scholarship players for 2017, assuming Bluiett has gone. A player's assumed back-up position is listed in parenthesis.

POINT GUARD
Edmund Sumner Jr 6'6"
Quentin Goodin So 6'3"
Paul Scruggs Fr 6'3"

SHOOTING GUARD
JP Macura Sr 6'6"
Elias Hardin Fr 6'5"
(Naji Marshall)

FORWARD
Tyrique Jones So 6'9"
Kaiser Gates Sr 6'8"
Jared Ridder Fr 6'7"
Naji Marshall Fr 6'6"

CENTER
Sean O'Mara Sr 6'10"
Brady Ernst Fr 6'10'
(Tyrique Jones)

POSSIBLE STARTING 5
PG Sumner 6'6"
SG Macura 6'6"
PF T. Jones 6'9"
SF Gates 6'8"
C O'Mara 6'10"

Despite the staying or leaving of Trevon Bluiett, that is a strong roster that should play 10 or 11 deep. Next March looks quite promising.

Marshall and Sruggs could be impact players. I hope the new big guys can progress like TJ did this year. Sean needs to improve like Farr and other big men because he was impact at the end and my hope is he starts on a tear and never looks back. Gates may have realized that just drifting to the outside will not make him an impact player but a combination of threes and drives make him more valuable. No drama in the off season just hard work.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:17 pm

muskieman wrote:
Alpalpa wrote:Here's a quick look at our roster of scholarship players for 2017, assuming Bluiett has gone. A player's assumed back-up position is listed in parenthesis.

POINT GUARD
Edmund Sumner Jr 6'6"
Quentin Goodin So 6'3"
Paul Scruggs Fr 6'3"

SHOOTING GUARD
JP Macura Sr 6'6"
Elias Hardin Fr 6'5"
(Naji Marshall)

FORWARD
Tyrique Jones So 6'9"
Kaiser Gates Sr 6'8"
Jared Ridder Fr 6'7"
Naji Marshall Fr 6'6"

CENTER
Sean O'Mara Sr 6'10"
Brady Ernst Fr 6'10'
(Tyrique Jones)

POSSIBLE STARTING 5
PG Sumner 6'6"
SG Macura 6'6"
PF T. Jones 6'9"
SF Gates 6'8"
C O'Mara 6'10"

Marshall and Sruggs could be impact players. I hope the new big guys can progress like TJ did this year. Sean needs to improve like Farr and other big men because he was impact at the end and my hope is he starts on a tear and never looks back. Gates may have realized that just drifting to the outside will not make him an impact player but a combination of threes and drives make him more valuable. No drama in the off season just hard work.

Sean needs to improve

mman,

You obviously learned nothing from Commish about being positive. Sean improved plenty. He has the best footwork on any post player (including last year's bigs), has learned how to be physical without fouling, finishes with either hand, passes as well as Stain from the post, and has improved his f.t. shooting. I think he is the most improved player on the team.

Gates also made strides, showing some ability to drive to the basket, and regained his defensive prowess and shooting which was lacking earlier in the year. Both of those two will be significant pieces to X's team next year. Please think before criticizing.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”