A Look Ahead at 2017 Roster

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: A Look Ahead at 2017 Roster

Postby skyhops » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:12 pm

With Tre most likely gone and Ed not back until beginning of January this team could struggle with scoring. Gates is the key and hopefully can finally begin to put together consecutive quality games. Hard to count on freshmen, but I fell good about Scruggs
XU80

Postby XU80 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:56 pm

Per Chad Ford/ESPN
"He made an impression on NBA scouts as a potential second-round pick. He should test the draft waters, but it's probably in his best interest to return to Xavier for his senior season."

Hope Tre follows this advice and heads back to X for his senior season. With Tre and Ed, could be a very big year for X and plenty of exposure too,
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
muskieman wrote:
Alpalpa wrote:Here's a quick look at our roster of scholarship players for 2017, assuming Bluiett has gone. A player's assumed back-up position is listed in parenthesis.

POINT GUARD
Edmund Sumner Jr 6'6"
Quentin Goodin So 6'3"
Paul Scruggs Fr 6'3"

SHOOTING GUARD
JP Macura Sr 6'6"
Elias Hardin Fr 6'5"
(Naji Marshall)

FORWARD
Tyrique Jones So 6'9"
Kaiser Gates Sr 6'8"
Jared Ridder Fr 6'7"
Naji Marshall Fr 6'6"

CENTER
Sean O'Mara Sr 6'10"
Brady Ernst Fr 6'10'
Kentravious Jones Fr 6'11"
(Tyrique Jones)

POSSIBLE STARTING 5
PG Sumner 6'6"
SG Macura 6'6"
PF T. Jones 6'9"
SF Gates 6'8"
C O'Mara 6'10"

Despite the staying or leaving of Trevon Bluiett, that is a strong roster that should play 10 or 11 deep. Next March looks quite promising.

Marshall and Sruggs could be impact players. I hope the new big guys can progress like TJ did this year. Sean needs to improve like Farr and other big men because he was impact at the end and my hope is he starts on a tear and never looks back. Gates may have realized that just drifting to the outside will not make him an impact player but a combination of threes and drives make him more valuable. No drama in the off season just hard work.

Sean needs to improve

mman,

You obviously learned nothing from Commish about being positive. Sean improved plenty. He has the best footwork on any post player (including last year's bigs), has learned how to be physical without fouling, finishes with either hand, passes as well as Stain from the post, and has improved his f.t. shooting. I think he is the most improved player on the team.

Gates also made strides, showing some ability to drive to the basket, and regained his defensive prowess and shooting which was lacking earlier in the year. Both of those two will be significant pieces to X's team next year. Please think before criticizing.

I would agree that O'Mara has the best footwork (even better than Reynolds and Farr). However he is a little slower and mechanical. I hope he can develop a little 8 -10 foot jumper. Farr's ability to hit the mid-range shot was huge for him. Gates can shoot but he did show the ability to drive in BE and NCAA. I think he has a very good upside. Jones would be a good PF and getting a little range will go a long way. I know nothing about the incoming freshmen except that they are highly touted. That being said, there is a lot to be positive about next year. I do think they need a "Bluett" to become the scorer.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Should #5 leave where will he go? Europe? Does not look as though he will be an NBA draft prospect unless I'm missing something. He should consider staying and enjoying his college days!!! Life passes by so quickly. Europe will always be there. Looking back I feel certain he will say college hoops was the best part of his playing days.....Unless of course money is an issue??
N67ER
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby N67ER » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:37 pm

skyhops wrote:With Tre most likely gone and Ed not back until beginning of January this team could struggle with scoring. Gates is the key and hopefully can finally begin to put together consecutive quality games. Hard to count on freshmen, but I fell good about Scruggs

Next year, like every year, we will have 5 players and 1 ball on the court for every possession. I never worry about who will score points, or fret about the loss of points from a departing player. They'll figure it out and somebody will step up to fill the void.
muskieman
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center

Postby muskieman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:38 pm

so you think Sean needs no improvement? You are some weird, person.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:19 pm

Sumner gone. The drama has begun.

Seriously, i can't blame him. If he gets hurt again next year probably would not get a fair shake pro wise. Best to try directly in the professional ranks. Good luck Ed and take it easy on your body. You only have one.
finalfourorbust

Postby finalfourorbust » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Alpalpa wrote:Here's a quick look at our roster of scholarship players for 2017, assuming Bluiett has gone. A player's assumed back-up position is listed in parenthesis.

POINT GUARD
Edmund Sumner Jr 6'6"
Quentin Goodin So 6'3"
Paul Scruggs Fr 6'3"

SHOOTING GUARD
JP Macura Sr 6'6"
Elias Hardin Fr 6'5"
(Naji Marshall)

FORWARD
Tyrique Jones So 6'9"
Kaiser Gates Sr 6'8"
Jared Ridder Fr 6'7"
Naji Marshall Fr 6'6"

CENTER
Sean O'Mara Sr 6'10"
Brady Ernst Fr 6'10'
Kentravious Jones Fr 6'11"
(Tyrique Jones)

POSSIBLE STARTING 5
PG Sumner 6'6"
SG Macura 6'6"
PF T. Jones 6'9"
SF Gates 6'8"
C O'Mara 6'10"

Despite the staying or leaving of Trevon Bluiett, that is a strong roster that should play 10 or 11 deep. Next March looks quite promising.

I may be wrong but I think Kaiser Gates will be a Junior and Ernst will be classified a sophomore.
JTG

Postby JTG » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:40 pm

Where are Tre's 25 ppg going to come from ?
tjxu97
What year did Cintas Center open?: 0

Postby tjxu97 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:38 am

If Scruggs is as good as advertised, Ed's departure won't be as big of a a blow as we think. 3 PGs all expecting playing time would have been a hard balance, so now it's time to pass the torch to Q and Scruggs.

Next years team will have balance at all positions and a new star will emerge. Let's remember, Villanova won their championship with no one player drafted in the NBA, so a well balanced team effort can usually reap more rewards than just one star player.

Enjoy the process!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”