A Look Ahead at 2017 Roster

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
finalfourorbust

Re: A Look Ahead at 2017 Roster

Postby finalfourorbust » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:54 am

tjxu97 wrote:If Scruggs is as good as advertised, Ed's departure won't be as big of a a blow as we think. 3 PGs all expecting playing time would have been a hard balance, so now it's time to pass the torch to Q and Scruggs.

Next years team will have balance at all positions and a new star will emerge. Let's remember, Villanova won their championship with no one player drafted in the NBA, so a well balanced team effort can usually reap more rewards than just one star player.

Enjoy the process!

I'm still expecting giant steps forward from Gates. He has the ability if he gains his confidence.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:43 am

Still not convinced Gates can string consecutive scoring games together. Tre carried this team along with his scoring and I don't think we can count on the freshmen to combine for 25 points. Both Gates and Omara will need to average at least 10 and 6 each. Very difficult to count on fresh too.
muskieman
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center

Postby muskieman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:51 am

every year you can say we are losing this or that from the game whether it be rebounding (Like the pervious year in Jalen and Farr) to this year points in (Tre) and every year X seems to have someone step up at some time in the season and I expect it to happen next year. With Jalen and Farr we wondered if they could impact although Farr more than Jalen and look what happened and this year the team came to be an even better rebounding team. To what success next years team, who knows but the coaches and they will be correct if when the ball goes up their expectations are met. Part of the fun of the game is wondering who is the next star(s). Sky said don't expect a freshman, yet many 1st year players have become stars and go to players for their teams this year, why not X.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
xu9697

Postby xu9697 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:36 am

I think the best thing 2017-2018 team has going for it is CONFIDENCE and LEADERSHIP. Goodin, Jones, O'Mara, JP and Gates all got better as the year ended and all had great moments. This should help guide them in an off-season of work. It certainly will always be about how dedicated a kid is to working on his game, but all of these guys can take steps up next year.

Goodin, even though just a SOPH, should be a leader. JP will hopefully grow into that role some as a Senior. Jones seems to have the personality of a frontcourt leader, and, again, the performance of SOM and Gates down the stretch should give them the confidence to grow as leaders.

That 5, 1 grad transfer (whoever that might be) and 2-3 newcomers in a highly regarded class should put X right there as a top 15-20 team with a chance to do some damage. If the unanticipated happens and TB decides to stay, the sky is the limit.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:55 am

It's to early to even speculate on next year until this year's transactions are completed. Hops you have a valid point about replacing a 20 point scorer on what is likely an every night basis given how the season ended. We've got to step back and realize this team lost 14 games and with a big group of young newcomers is very likely going to be even more inconsistent offensively. It's pretty unlikely you're going to find a 15 pt plus scorer in the grad transfer market, and the juco market is pretty picked at this point. Some of the existing guys are going to have to step up on an every night basis in all likelihood. Frosh, assuming all are eligible and end up here, are at best very, very hard to rely on. Maybe Tb comes back. Ha.
kyzrex
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby kyzrex » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:18 am

Y'all gotta remember that all this doesn't take place in a vacumn either. OTHER schools are dealing with the same things...kids leaving and new ones coming in, hoping that the returning players are better next year than they were this year, worrying about who might not be eligible or who might decide to transfer. In addition, some schools are worrying about who their coach is going to be! Sometimes you have to trust the coaching staff and the system. The ONLY consistent in college sports is CHANGE. Stop worrying and embrace the change. You know there is a real possibility that next year's freshman (and/or any newcomers that might come in via transfer) might make the team BETTER. It at least should be deeper and have a longer bench. I would bet that any of the freshman scholarship players are going to be better than the senior walk-on players, which means that practices might be more helpful toward player/team improvement. Meanwhile, X has a better (higher rated) freshman class than anyone else they are scheduled to play (according to most recruiting sources), so that should prove to be a strength and not a weakness. Sure they lost some scoring and some expereience....but so did every other team on their schedule, and none of them have the potential replacements coming in that X does. Relax, they will be fine.
#WHYNOTX?
tjxu97
What year did Cintas Center open?: 0

Postby tjxu97 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:35 pm

(If Tre leaves) JP will take on that lead scoring role. He has the ability to put up 15-20 every night. (key word being, "ability")

And yes, every year, ALL teams lose key pieces/stars and come back the next year with a new arsenal. I think next years aresenal is pretty loaded and the result on the court will come down to individual off-season improvements, team chemistry, and leaving personal egoes at the door.

And if Tre DOES come back, well then, you have a really nice piece you can anchor your team around.
xu koop scoop
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby xu koop scoop » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:42 pm

I never follow incoming recruits & temporarily bedridden so looking to post. The 5 returning contributors I put in starting positions & all seem talented enough. #1 PG - Goodin, #2 or #3 hole - Macura, #3 or #4 Gates, #4 - T Jones (or start Scruggs at #2 so Jones is depth at BIGs), #5- O'Mara. I see depth problem amongst BIGS. . Seems Coach Mack likes, or has no option but to play "small ball". We need BIGS off bench, but who? After seeing what ZAGS & NC just did, I see starting 2 bigs but better have 1 or 2 on bench. What are chances of Kentrevious Jones being eligible and playing? I have seen Brady Ernst listed at 6'8" to 6'10" - is he a sound prospect? I can see us trying to find another BIG such as Gaston for this coming year. I know nothing of our other mid-size prospects. Comments from "incoming recruit Xperts" appreciated.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:18 pm

I think Ernst has the best opportunity among the new bigs of making an impact. He has experience and is athletic. jones is a long shot to even be eligible, and i hear that we high on the list of a few transfers, but probably a PG transfer to pick up slack from Ed. Scruggs will end up up starting at some point next year.
Murph85

Postby Murph85 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:12 am

Mack is hard at it from what I hear and we may snag a 6'10 5th grad student that would be a solid 5. (no wait period) He is being courted by the likes of MSU and Kansas. On campus this weekend.

I think if the planets align we could have a rally good team next year. similar to Gonzaga talent. This being all the more likely if TB returns.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”