Give Mack $2.5 to $3 million over the next 3 years to keep him..

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Give Mack $2.5 to $3 million over the next 3 years to keep him..

Postby Xavier2005 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 am

Tops basketball programs pay at least $3 million plus for a good to great coach. Xavier will always be a stepping stone for coaches unless X increases pay for the coach and the assistants. Give Mack a new contract....at least $2.5 to $2.75 million for next year 2017-18 with a guarantee he will be making $3 million no later than 2019-20(within 3 years from now). Up bonus monies maybe. Up assistant coaches pay also. Otherwise X may be looking for another new coach.
finalfourorbust

Re: Give Mack $2.5 to $3 million over the next 3 years to keep him..

Postby finalfourorbust » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:Tops basketball programs pay at least $3 million plus for a good to great coach. Xavier will always be a stepping stone for coaches unless X increases pay for the coach and the assistants. Give Mack a new contract....at least $2.5 to $2.75 million for next year 2017-18 with a guarantee he will be making $3 million no later than 2019-20(within 3 years from now). Up bonus monies maybe. Up assistant coaches pay also. Otherwise X may be looking for another new coach.

That's generous of you.
D West

Postby D West » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:32 pm

When I heard Dayton made a play to keep Archie with a $3M offer and he still waked, I thought they were the lucky that he didn't accept it. Think about a small school in the A-10 with little TV money or NCAA money coming in (ever)................and biting off a $3M contract. This is a school that needs to schedule St. Joseph of Indiana (DIV II) to keep a home date and the cash register ringing to meet an athletic budget balanced based on their fans comments. Dayton is learning that they are boxed in the A-10 for the duration from what I can see and money won't keep a coach that wants to advance his career. A-10 won't allow it but the BIG EAST will which is key. Jay Wright is a perfect example.

Regardless how good Coach Mack is (and he is good..........), I don't see X passing that $3M level. Agree that Mack should be at the $2M+ range based on the past 8 years but eventually we have to understand that we aren't a bloated state school that can toss money like that around for a coach. I hope he stays. I hope he makes this his destination job but there will always be an Indiana, Louisville, Kentucky, Tosu that will drop $4-5-7M on a coach.

Need to keep the coaching pipeline going and we have been very lucky but also very successful doing it. Wishing for Coach Chris Mack having a long and successful career at X! He deserves it.
26+6=1

Postby 26+6=1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 am

If a school wants to keep a coach, it makes sense to pay him now what you would offer should he be tempted to leave.

Organizations seldom understand this basic logic. Instead they "save" money on current salaries and then tend to throw money at a departing employee as they head out the door. Once an employee is prepared to make a break, then it is only a matter of time before it happens. It is sometimes possible to keep that person one more round, but after that, they usually leave.

Xavier should look at this situation and decide what they want for the next 5 years in their coach and pay him accordingly.

26+6=1
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:19 am

Enquirer reported this morning Coach Mack makes $1,420,479 per year... Dan

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/ ... /99787330/
“Wins go on the mantle. Loses go in your soul."
webxu

Postby webxu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:58 am

note they don't say the "other pay" mack makes, which I suspect is significant.
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:07 pm

$2.5 to $3 million is obviously way over Xavier's budget at this point.

However, a legitimate target for a consistently top 25 program is a top 25 salary of $2 million.

I doubt we could get that to him this year. But we stand to make around $350,000 per year for the next six years based on the Big East's performance in the tournament.

We will no longer receive payments from the basketball fund for the year 2011. I do not know how that was calculated: if it was based on the A10's performance in 2011, if it was based on the then-Big East's performance, or if it was based on the collective performance of teams that are currently in the Big East.

My guess is the latter and that this year's performance implies a net gain in annual income from the basketball fund for Xavier.

At the very least, we should extend Mack's contract to 2023 and give him a raise over the next six years equal to that net gain. That would imply zero loss to the athletic department budget, and I suspect it would be as much as $100,000 per year. Ideally, we should give him a raise of $300,000 per year for the next 6 years to get him a lot closer to $2 million, and figure out a way to make up the difference.

I would not go more than that. What if we make the Final Four next year? There is no way we would be able to give him an even bigger raise than that next year, and we might not even be able to match it...

I think we should promise him a top 25 salary in the next few years and get their incrementally based on annual performance.
Let's March!
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 pm

webxu wrote:note they don't say the "other pay" mack makes, which I suspect is significant.

Do we know the sources of extra income? Does the homecity ice income count as base income?
Let's March!
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:10 pm

And he has to have some sort of bonus in his contract...
Let's March!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”