Sumner declares for NBA draft

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
bigperm

Re: Sumner declares for NBA draft

Postby bigperm » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am

longliveskip wrote:
bigperm wrote:Are we to assume he's hiring an agent?

he did.

Head scratcher for me, but I don't know a thing about the draft but would be shocked to see him go in first round.

I wish him the best. He's an incredible player and better person.
lionelchalmers0
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:34 am

bigperm wrote:
longliveskip wrote:
bigperm wrote:Are we to assume he's hiring an agent?

he did.

Head scratcher for me, but I don't know a thing about the draft but would be shocked to see him go in first round.

I wish him the best. He's an incredible player and better person.

I feel for the kid. If you read the statement put out it really sounds like he's between a rock and a hard place and I think he made a smart decision. What's worse for his draft stock: go now and hope for the best and work and rehab with NBA trainers and docs over the summer and have a specific team telling you what to develop?

Or try to come back at Xavier, have a set back, miss most of the season and then have no good film for over a year and an "injury prone" label slapped on you?

I think he had to take a gamble. No way he's getting taken first round, but I could see a good team (Spurs, warriors, etc) taking him late second round and stashing him in the d league while he rehabs with NBA caliber docs/trainers. Probably the highest probability route he has.
muncie6569

Postby muncie6569 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Both Tre and Ed are on the NBA draft radar, nothing like a run in March to improve a player's status. http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft
mumuskie87
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Shucker wrote:Best of Luck To Edmond and his future.
Glad he came to Xavier!
He is a good representation of the Program at Xavier.
See article below a little more insight to his decision.

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/college-spor ... -to-go-pro

Good article by Shannon.
As Ed indicated, if takes 12 months to get back to playing then he effectively misses all of next year.
Makes sense for him to go pro and hope he can rehab and get a chance to play in the NBA.
Seems to be a quality kid.
"Sports is a coffee break."
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
mumuskie87
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:40 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Michigan Musketeer wrote:Nova & the Zags keep their better players longer and that's why they make it to a final 4. Hopefully we can get a couple good transfers

Gonzaga has like 3-4 senior/grad transfers on this team. Few went "all-in" with getting that group there and it's benefitted him this season. it's not like his group of seniors have been there all 4 years.

Exactly - only Karnowski has played all 4 years at Gonzaga.
Williams-Goss transferred after playing his first 2 years at UW.
J Williams - also transferred after 2 years at Mizzou.
J Matthews is a 5th sr transfer from Cal.
"Sports is a coffee break."
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:27 am

muncie6569 wrote:Both Tre and Ed are on the NBA draft radar, nothing like a run in March to improve a player's status. http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

Muncie,

I agree both are being evaluated by the NBA, but though I don't look at the different sites regularly, they often vary so much, making it hard to figure out which ones are legitimate (meaning they've actually received ***** from NBA personnel scouts or GMs). This is the 1st time I've ever seen Collin's or Thornwell's name for example. I think Collin's is a sure fire lottery pick. I also find it hard to believe 34 players will be picked ahead of Grayson Allen, and that Goss of Gonzaga won't be drafted.

It's interesting to see the scarcity of BE players. The fact that Butler has none, which I don't disagree with, shows what a hell of a job Holtman has done there.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”