Our BE & expansion vs Old BE

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
xu koop scoop
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Our BE & expansion vs Old BE

Postby xu koop scoop » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:56 pm

I love our 10 team home/away situation, but TV etc... may pressure expansion.Comparing what Our BE gained - Butler, Creighton, XU vs what Old BE lost - Louisville, W Vir, Syracuse, Pitt, UC, UConn, N Dame & 2 pathetic schools in S Fla & Rutgers - Our BE gain isn't that far behind what was lost. I bring up S Fla/Rutgers cause Our BE expansion needs a whipping post besides DePaul. So I envision a 12 team, 2 Division setup where we
play all in Div twice & all out of Div once. Potential big market whipping posts might be Duquesne or St Louis & stellar addition might be VCU
or Wichita St. Let Dayton dominate the A10. XU, Creighton, Butler, DePaul, Marquette & 1 other could be in West while remaining schools in the
East. This is food for thought as off season is basically here & topics need to continue.
bluegrass

Re: Our BE & expansion vs Old BE

Postby bluegrass » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Sounds like Wichita may go to AAC That would be a big pickup for that league. I wouldn't bring in crappy teams just to increase the size of the league and I don't think that will happen.
xu koop scoop

Postby xu koop scoop » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:13 pm

My point was other leagues such as Big 10 have whipping posts in BBall - such as Rutgers, Penn St, Nebraska & Northwestern (which proves whipping posts may get their due sometimes). Nothing wrong with a few whipping posts in a good league. When all teams are good you get too many teams with .500 conference records & low seed come tourney time.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Don't like, don't like two divisions with only one game against the other division I want Nova twice, I want St Johns and Georgetown and Seton Hall twice. I want to recruit into the East and that set up limits X's potential recruiting. I want to play in MSG every year and not just in the BE tourney. We came into the league to play historic teams whether they are up or down and we can not do that with two divisions and a schedule like that. Sorry no offense intended but that set up stinks.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
JTG

Postby JTG » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:29 pm

Possibly the Dumbest idea ever floated. Duquesne and St Louis ???? What, what, what ....absolutely absurd.
PT71

Postby PT71 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:05 am

Scoop stated that this is merely "food for thought...and being off-season" it gives us something to discuss. Influence from Fox will likely be huge...two more major markets, from a purely revenue perspective, would be desirable...mention of Dukes and Billikens simply implies Pitt and St Louis. Doing the "point/counterpoint thing," I wouldn't welcome restricting our recruiting based upon only playing the "eastern division" once, were we in a two division league. Wichita State exploring a new conference also indicates that some schools desire to upgrade their competition, and profile. Certainly there are schools out there who would jump at chance to compete in BE...VCU, Uconn, others?
xu koop scoop

Postby xu koop scoop » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:38 pm

Some fans not grasping concept. If BE is more or less forced to add two schools, one should be of "awesome" caliber for sure.
The 2nd school could be very mediocre. So you wouldn't take St Louis & Duquesne since both are mediocre, but both are in great TV markets.
So you take ONE of them & the second needs to be awesome - UConn or Notre Dame best choices, but football schools want a football league. So that leaves you VCU or Wichita St cause I can't think of others, & though I don't hate Dayton - no real gain in TV marketing. The whipping post gets their share of money - so they are happy. More of our good teams would get better records & better seeding. We did put 7 teams in Tourney this year, but more than half had lower than 8 seeds.I INDEED PREFER TO KEEP THE 10 TEAM LEAGUE, BUT BIG MEDIA MONEY RULES & MAY DEMAND A CHANGE IN THE FUTURE. It ain't all about us fans, it's about corporate sponsors demanding the biggest profits. For now we can enjoy our slice of heaven.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:10 pm

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”