Kanter to X

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muncie6569

Re: Kanter to X

Postby muncie6569 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Shadow wrote:
muncie6569 wrote:It appears Ernst is not coming

I think CM saw that coming, hence Kanter.

Or the other way around, I'm guessing a proven D-1 big wins over proven junior college big
lionelchalmers0
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:02 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about this one....

It's a half commit (he's still saying his PRIORITY is not xavier, it's the nba). We lose Ernst and whatever his potential was (granted, he's a JUCO guy so it could have been anything from boom to bust). So now what if kanter goes tot he draft and we get neither?

Oh, and Kanter didn't exactly tear it up either---couldn't get off the bench his first two seasons in the Horizon League and then averaged 11-6 last year...again not bad but what's going to happen when he has to rebound against Big East talent? This one is curious at best.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Is it more likely than not that he'll pull out of the draft?
olsingledigit
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby olsingledigit » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:13 pm

bluegrass wrote:Is it more likely than not that he'll pull out of the draft?

On the plus side, this is a deep,draft, so he likely will be no better than low second round.

On the negative side, he is committing to TWO more years in college minimum since he has to sit out a year.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
Shadow
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby Shadow » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Digit,
He's a Graduate transfer
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you
Ralph Waldo Emerson
muncie6569

Postby muncie6569 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:33 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
bluegrass wrote:Is it more likely than not that he'll pull out of the draft?

On the plus side, this is a deep,draft, so he likely will be no better than low second round.

On the negative side, he is committing to TWO more years in college minimum since he has to sit out a year.

I have not seen his name on any of the NBA mock drafts.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:55 am

Kanter is only here for a year and apparently Ernst didn't want to go somewhere, and for his first year, be the 4th/5th "big" on the depth chart, which he most likely would've been behind Sean, TJ, Kanter, and KG.

Sean and Kanter will be gone after next year, right? and Ernst actually had 3 years left so he could've had two years at X with sig. PT but he obviously didn't want to wait. always interesting to see where these guys end up and how they actually perform.

Kanter will be on the team this year. there is no way he is getting drafted.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:41 am

Definitely some risk in this switch assuming Ernst could have contributed. If KK f..k's up, or decides to play overseas which is where he will go regardless you're left holding the bag. Let's hope he's not a head case.
xu9697

Postby xu9697 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:55 am

We will go through this every year now with this new age of college basketball. Kanter in, Ernst out. Next off-season, even losing SOM and Kanter, there will be other graduate transfers to go out and get. I think the number is close to 35-40% of NCAA division 1 players transfer, so no sense in worrying about anything more than next year anymore. It's annual free agency, as sad as that may be for the traditionalists (myself included).
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:51 am

spot-on comments by many of you already. No way to tell for sure about what we may have gained versus lost out on with Ernst. My only concern is that Chris has vetted Kanter well and especially on the team chemistry aspect. Is this guy in it for only next year's NBA draft status or is he capable of meshing in with an established core with the primary goal being winning...? My gut says Ernst would have fit that bill better. So you trade two years of eligibility, plus certain intangibles, for perceived better talent.... OK, I get it, we can worry about the 18-19 season next year. Risk/reward as this guy might decide to bolt for pros or he could pull an "Ekiyor".
One thing is for sure, Mack must be leaning awfully hard on having to redshirt Big-K. We shall see.
Comes with the territory of scrapping with the NCAA blue-bloods.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”