Thought provoking post courtesy of AH

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center

Thought provoking post courtesy of AH

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:55 pm

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/opinion ... 100478698/

Though some of this rambling commentary is factually incorrect, I think it addresses the white T-Rex in the room: Character is seemingly taking a back seat to talent. Me doesn't like it. I'd rather lose with guys like J Love, Dante Jackson, & JFarr, then win with guys like Mark Lyons, Eyikor, and now, possibly Carlton Braggs?
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/ ... 100681206/

I don't want either team in town to get him. CMack will get an earful from me during our next lunch at Quatman's.
Pierre Dracot

Re: Thought provoking post courtesy of AH

Postby Pierre Dracot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:19 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:http://www.cincinnati.com/story/opinion/letters/2017/04/17/letters-xavier-recent-off--court-issues-troubling/100478698/

Though some of this rambling commentary is factually incorrect, I think it addresses the white T-Rex in the room: Character is seemingly taking a back seat to talent. Me doesn't like it. I'd rather lose with guys like J Love, Dante Jackson, & JFarr, then win with guys like Mark Lyons, Eyikor, and now, possibly Carlton Braggs?

I don't want either team in town to get him. CMack will get an earful from me during our next lunch at Quatman's.

Who is leaving Xavier without a degree? And who has de-committed other than a single player, who saw the writing on the wall as to the amount of playing time he stood to get?
hoosiermuskie

Postby hoosiermuskie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 pm

If a player leaves to enter draft but isn't drafted, is that leaving without a degree? I'm thinking if Tre leaves???
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 pm

hoosiermuskie wrote:If a player leaves to enter draft but isn't drafted, is that leaving without a degree? I'm thinking if Tre leaves???

My guess is that, yes, it would be leaving without a degree. But that wouldn't break Xavier's long string of having graduated everyone who played at the school as a senior, because he will not have played as a senior. Likewise, Sumner doesn't break the string.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 pm

In this beautiful world opinions come in all shapes, sizes & colors. Some mean more than others based on timing, source & relevancy. In this case AH - your opinion is that, nothing more than one man's opinion. One which I believe most on this board respect. It's a different world out there from the 1960's, hell, it's a far different world from the 1980's. Kids are different. The bell curve has shifted in almost any category you pick towards the bizarre, from societal & cultural norms, all the way to our politics. I do not believe recent scenarios have proven X is failing or succeeding at walking that fine line yet. Although I do agree that it deserves further observation and vigilance. The jury is out so to speak. Mack should & will be held accountable if your fears are realized. To date though Chris has done well and managed to raise our bar without any major incidents. I am sure that there is a very wide spectrum of opinion on this topic among Xavier Nation. It is Mack's responsibility to vet anyone he invites into the program. To date, I applaud his efforts and his results, & feel he has earned the benefit of the doubt. That, of course, is subject to change - as are most things in life....
kyzrex
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby kyzrex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:09 am

Character v talent is certainly a fine line to walk. One that most coaches are forced to make on a yearly basis. That's not to say that there are not people with both high character and top talent, but they are certainly limited in number and that makes them high in demand and difficult to successfully recruit. Meanwhile the pressure on the coaches to win continues to mount. Pressure from, alumni, students, the media, and the administrations. College sports at this level has become more and more a business. You think Mack doesn't feel that pressure because he coaches at X? AH says that he would rather lose with some players than win with some others, and I'll give HIM the benefit of the doubt. But he is probably in the minority, and last time I checked he wasn't the one signing Mack's paycheck. I think that it is important to realize that almost every kid is a risk. Look at Tre, comes from a stable family with a sense of discipline, good student, takes his game seriously, etc. He still screwed up, didn't he?
Edmond is another example. Seriously good student and will probably still get a degree someday, but decided that he wants to ALSO play in the NBA and has decided NOW is the time to try that. So he doesn't stay 4 years. Can't really say that either of these kids are BAD kids, can we? But they don't fit the stereotype of college kids from the time when many of us were there, so some will see what they have done as a "problem" with their "character". Guess what? There were certainly players in the 70's-80's that might have had some "character" flaws too, but without the internet and the 24 hours news cycle that needs to be filled, many never heard about their "problems" and "mistakes". I too think that character is important, and I certainly don't want the university to put wins ahead of the goal of educating the STUDENT. But I'm not going to be shocked if SOME of the recruits don't pan out the way we hope they might....either socially or athletically. There are no guarantees on ANY of these kids. Each and every one of them is a crap shoot.
#WHYNOTX?
muskienick
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Postby muskienick » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:06 am

Anti-Homer wrote:http://www.cincinnati.com/story/opinion/letters/2017/04/17/letters-xavier-recent-off--court-issues-troubling/100478698/

I don't know how good of a player Braggs could be for his next team. But two things come to mind in this particular situation:
1,) This Braggs would be in our system for a full year WITHOUT actually representing the University on the floor against other teams. One would think that our coaching staff could gauge quite well how he would behave and mesh with the other guys on the team by that time.
2.) If THIS Braggs as anywhere near as good the last Braggs we got as a transfer, Torraye, I would be "all in" on that deal!!!

We shouldn't be too quick to "cut off our noses." It could actually "spite our faces"!
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, and Miller represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. I feel that new AD Christopher and Coach Mack will bring us to an even higher level!
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:21 am

Character and academics no longer come into play when we recruit players, that should has sailed a few years back. Scruggs is coming from a school that only has a zip code and Big Kent makes Kevin Frey look like a scholar but that's how it is these days.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 am

The school with the zip code. Classic, i've heard some interesting things on that topic as well. Unfortunately it's zipped.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:58 am

I'm sorry I meant to type PO Box but close enough.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”