Recruiting news

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Recruiting news

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:35 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:18 pm
24/7 has him as a 3 Star and somewhere in the 200’s overall

But then again, where were Brian Grant and David West?
Good point Ky. However, I don't think there was quite the scrutiny with recruits when we went after West, and certainly not when we got Brian Grant. I believe I read in Xavier Tales that BG was offered a scholly on the spot when an assistant saw him in practice. I don't think Skip even saw him play. That would never happen today.

BTW, even though this kid wasn't in the 1st tier of recruits X was going after, he seems to be a solid get. At the very least, he has a skill this team will direly need after JP and TB graduate: shooting. Unfortunately, we lost possibly the best shooter in the MW in Ridder.

I will make one more observation, which as a Jr Moderator is part of my charge: providing objectivity. Guys that are 3/4 glass full posters like Ky and myself seem to point out the unranked greats who weren't highly coveted when we can't reel in our highly coveted targets, yet thump our chest loudly whenever we get a highly ranked recruit like Scruggs and Semaj. Why is that?

Wild, wild stuff.
bmuskies

Postby bmuskies » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Antwann Jones decommit from Oklahoma st. 6.6ft shooting guard. Is Xavier getting in the mix with him? These players are all leaving the Schools that are getting in trouble with the law.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:42 am

It's a gue$$ing game though who may be eligible. Proceed with caution.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:06 am

CMack has gotten the greatest number of highly ranked players during his tenure. Of course, the performance of 2 E-8s in 6 years by his predecessors, as well as X getting into the BE helped, but other coaches in similar circumstances haven't been able to duplicate his consistent success. However, the flip side is the program's instability, particularly as it pertains to players leaving the program. In my humble opinion, it has never been worse than under his watch, and I think this is what is hurting in X's recruiting efforts now.

Obviously, the recruiting season isn't over, but the number of highly ranked players is dwindling rapidly. That's why we're chasing guys like that 2 star from Lima. Now a highly ranked player who would have filled a need for the class of 18' chose RI over X. You know, the team whom we use to defend when we were in the same league, but now mock since we bolted to a major conference. The excuse of players seeing the highly talented preceding class and fearing a lack of p.t. doesn't fly either. It never seems to hurt teams like Nova, Zags, and others comparable to X. Even players who had dim NBA prospects like Reynolds and Lyons bailed before their senior season, even though they would have gotten a lot of p.t.

Before anyone claims CM kicked Lyons out, the scenario was like a guy filing for divorce 3 months after his wife moves in with another man. They found out Lyons was calling other teams letting them know he was leaving X before he was "kicked off" of the team.

If I'm a recruiter in competition for a recruit against X, I'd use Brady Ernst as an example. When they signed him, that made it 4 post players (O'Mara, K Jones, T Jones, Ernst) in the fold in a system which often only plays one traditional post player at a time. Then, they sign Kanter a few weeks later. He is a 5th-year senior, so I seriously doubt that he would have gone to a program unless he was given an indication that he would see plenty of action.

As of now, our two post players for 18' are T Jones, a fairly foul prone, albeit continually developing big with great upside, along with a project in Walter. Assuming no one leaves the program, which would be unprecedented especially in recent years, X will be playing with a serious lack of depth, which didn't bode well a few short years ago in the CBI year.

CM and staff have done a great job with the 17' class, who along with the incumbents will field the most talented team in X's history top to bottom. However, relying on transfers along with 5th-year seniors is a risky plan for long-term success. I will still wear my rose-colored contacts, believing that CM will somehow make it work. X has the most legitimate chance to make the FF in our history due to his efforts. Thank you Coach.

Faithfully submitted by AH this 7th day of our Lord, in the year 2017.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Nice post Anti. Extra credit for a perfectly utilized subtle Douglas C. Neidermeyer reference. Not a terrific Fall recruiting period so far but not finished yet. Last year was well above average and the Ridder homesick transfer is likely just one of those unfortunate things that will happen to any program from time to time. As for Ernst, he seemed more like a Kaiser Gates type talent as opposed to a true post, but that is just my quick take. So maybe - just maybe, Mack realized he does have that rare legit FF shot this year so why not go all-in..? Bring on Kanter who is strong enough NOW to give us a physical post presence both on O and D. A true post contributor off the bench tis season. (as Ernst was coming off injuries and may have needed some developing. Gates gives us the stretch "4" capabilities this year. Now we do lose Ernst for '18 & '19 where he likely would have blossomed. But again, you see the Astros roll the dice & trade for Verlander to go for the glory this year. If that is the case, (and only Skyhops would know), then I love that chutzpah!! We have the potential for an incredible year. As for next year - - - We should have a wicked 4-some at guard with Scruggs, Marshall, Goodin & Harding. That plus a projected hugely improved basketball Jones and a Sr. in Gates, gives us a special top 6 to work off of. Plenty of time to allow Mack to leverage a likely top 12 ranking all year, plus plenty of available minutes next year, to entice a few special post 5th yr kids or 4-star+ Frosh. Enough about recruiting, is it Oct. 20th yet...?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:47 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:15 pm
Nice post Anti. Extra credit for a perfectly utilized subtle Douglas C. Neidermeyer reference. Not a terrific Fall recruiting period so far but not finished yet. Last year was well above average and the Ridder homesick transfer is likely just one of those unfortunate things that will happen to any program from time to time. As for Ernst, he seemed more like a Kaiser Gates type talent as opposed to a true post, but that is just my quick take. So maybe - just maybe, Mack realized he does have that rare legit FF shot this year so why not go all-in..? Bring on Kanter who is strong enough NOW to give us a physical post presence both on O and D. A true post contributor off the bench tis season. (as Ernst was coming off injuries and may have needed some developing. Gates gives us the stretch "4" capabilities this year. Now we do lose Ernst for '18 & '19 where he likely would have blossomed. But again, you see the Astros roll the dice & trade for Verlander to go for the glory this year. If that is the case, (and only Skyhops would know), then I love that chutzpah!! We have the potential for an incredible year. As for next year - - - We should have a wicked 4-some at guard with Scruggs, Marshall, Goodin & Harding. That plus a projected hugely improved basketball Jones and a Sr. in Gates, gives us a special top 6 to work off of. Plenty of time to allow Mack to leverage a likely top 12 ranking all year, plus plenty of available minutes next year, to entice a few special post 5th yr kids or 4-star+ Frosh. Enough about recruiting, is it Oct. 20th yet...?
X-Luc, I rarely, if ever say this, but yours is one of the smartest posts I've ever seen grace this board. Well done on your assessment of my incredibly insightful post.
True_Blue

Postby True_Blue » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:39 pm

Who is this Harding you speak of ??
X-lucidity wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:15 pm
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Well Mr. True Blue that would be none other than Elias Harden. Incoming Frosh Shooting guard from Ga.
Sorry to have misspelled his last name but certainly you knew of whom I was referring to eh? Maybe you should reach out to the site director because they have it misspelled as Harding under the "roster" section. I had thought it was Harden but went with their spelling. Appreciate your keen eye
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 am

So why doesn't anyone correct the spelling of Harden's name... Isn't it an insult to him that it's incorrect?
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 am

Pierre Dracot wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 am
So why doesn't anyone correct the spelling of Harden's name... Isn't it an insult to him that it's incorrect?
I could but I "let the (their) sun shine in" - Hair
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”