Muskie alums in Europe News

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Muskie alums in Europe News

Postby muskieman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Dee Davis had 18 points, 4 assists, and 3 steals in Giessen 46ers win Germany
Rashid Gaston had a game high 23 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 assists in a AMSN73 (France) win

thanks to Shannon
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Re: Muskie alums in Europe News

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:57 am

muskieman wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:21 pm
Dee Davis had 18 points, 4 assists, and 3 steals in Giessen 46ers win Germany
Rashid Gaston had a game high 23 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 assists in a AMSN73 (France) win

thanks to Shannon
Great to hear that two really good guys are doing well internationally. Speaking of which, how many int'l leagues are there? Two million? So many former college players who were not superstars (not speaking only of former X players) seem to be having very productive careers overseas. Happy to see this trend, because it gives me hope for JP, Blueitt and even O'Mara to play somewhere after college. The former will get a chance to audition for the NBA, but neither are obviously locks.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:25 pm

Both Stainbrooks are playing in Spain. I guess you don't have to. Be a starter to fins a team in Europe, just a good agent. I hear they are both enjoying their time overseas.
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Lead Guitar wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:25 pm
Both Stainbrooks are playing in Spain. I guess you don't have to. Be a starter to fins a team in Europe, just a good agent. I hear they are both enjoying their time overseas.
You don't even have to play college ball to play in Europe. In fact, you do not even need an agent! European countries have a club system for basketball like soccer with different leagues competing at international, national and local levels. Tim Stainbrook plays in the 4th division, which is essentially what the NCAA interprets as a "semi-pro" European league. It is an "inter-regional" league. The teams have sponsorship and I am sure no one on any of the teams in that league has to pay their own expenses to participate (equipment, travel, etc.). But they are at the level where at best their players receive a standard-of-living salary, and most teams probably only offer salaries to a couple "stars" and perhaps a stipend for a few others. They may only practice 2-3 times per week.

My guess is that Stain-train lent the services of his agent to find Tim a team in Spain so they could play in the same country. Tim is probably earning an average annual income for Spain (about $30K) and is getting significant PT. If he is willing to seek other gainful employment in Europe, he could almost certainly follow Matt around and play for similar teams across Europe for several more years (though not always with a salary).

He is not going to get rich or even make a long-term career of it, but for a recent grad who happens to be 6'6" with above average basketball skills, I am sure it is a very rewarding experience.
Let's March!
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Dee Davis had 15 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals yesterday for Giessen
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Dee Davis had 15 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals yesterday for Giessen
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Wonder how D Davis did? :D

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”