How many of you can remember when?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
gundun

How many of you can remember when?

Postby gundun » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Morehead State upset us back in the First Round of the NCAA in Louisville (1961). We were terrible at the foul line and they couldn't miss. :o
Last edited by gundun on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
gym from delhi

Re: How many of you can remember when?

Postby gym from delhi » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Gundun, I was there as a 7th grader, whom my Dad allowed to miss school the next day after staying that night in a Ho-Jo's. We had floor level seats in one corner of Freedom Hall, and I kept waiting for Kirvin and Thobe to get the Muskies back in the game. I still recall the names of Morehead's best players, a C-F named Ed Noe, and a guard named Granny Hamner. If I remember correctly, X started that season red hot, but stumbled and there was some talk about the NCAA rescinding the bid. As an aside I've always wished the 63-64 squad, my all-time favorite, played just a little defense to go with that awesome offense.
Pierre Dracot

Re: How many of you can remember when?

Postby Pierre Dracot » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 pm

gym from delhi wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:51 pm
Gundun, I was there as a 7th grader, whom my Dad allowed to miss school the next day after staying that night in a Ho-Jo's. We had floor level seats in one corner of Freedom Hall, and I kept waiting for Kirvin and Thobe to get the Muskies back in the game. I still recall the names of Morehead's best players, a C-F named Ed Noe, and a guard named Granny Hamner. If I remember correctly, X started that season red hot, but stumbled and there was some talk about the NCAA rescinding the bid. As an aside I've always wished the 63-64 squad, my all-time favorite, played just a little defense to go with that awesome offense.
Great memories.

But--if I'm not mistaken--what you're thinking of regarding a rescinded tournament invitation, it was the 1958 NIT which, as we know, Xavier ended up winning.

Speaking of Jack Thobe, he's a neighbor of mine in Costa Mesa, CA, and is still going strong.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”