Talk XU Men's basketball here...
kyzrex

Re: Welcome Mr. James!

Postby kyzrex » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 am

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:50 pm
harryfe wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:28 pm
Not sure KU offered but did show interest. But CM knows more than most of us.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aseaof ... rius-james
Hmmm......3rd highest scoring average in the state of South Carolina as a Jr. in HS isn’t to shabby. Now, with him playing for Huntington, he will have the opportunity to test himself against some stiffer competition. Will be interesting to see how well he does this year, and to watch his development in the future.

I seem to remember quite a few players on opposing teams that did well against X, but were not highly recruited players. Recruiting is a very inexact science and is often a bit of a crapshoot. For every “can’t miss” that becomes a star, I can show you 3-4 that were busts, and for each one of those I can show you someone that became a solid contributor by the end of their career. Xavier has a better than average record of taking under recruited kids and developing them into solid players. I’m certainly willing to take a “wait and see” approach to this year’s recruiting class. In the meantime, once again.....WELCOME to Mr. James and both of the others....Mr. Walter and Mr. Kennedy! I wish you nothing but success and hope that you will soon be joined by more members of the class.
#WHYNOTX?
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 am

I believe that CM recruits have perceived potential and he does not solely rely upon HS rankings.
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Like every other recruit,you don't know what you're getting until they step on the court.Did any one know how good David West would be? Hopefully he will go on to have a great career at X and we will call him King James.Good luck to him and look forward to seeing him next year.
JTG

Postby JTG » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:57 pm

bluegrass wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:23 pm
Like every other recruit,you don't know what you're getting until they step on the court.Did any one know how good David West would be? Hopefully he will go on to have a great career at X and we will call him King James.Good luck to him and look forward to seeing him next year.
Whoa, easy with the King James biz. However, 21 points against Hargrave Academy is a pretty stellar showing for early Nov. Welcome to Victory Pkwy, Mr James.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:50 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:29 am
Chill my fellow beloved Muskie brethren. Anyone being so jaded as to call this recruit a "warm body" needs to have a beer with some of us more seasoned fans. I graduated in 1980. I cheered on folks like Jon Hanley and Bob 'Sky' King. I welcome Mr. James with open arms and will trust that maybe by his Soph year he equates to a 4 star recruit. In either case, he chose us over the dreaded Butler and that already scores major points for me. By the way, have you seen Naji out there on the court so far?? He was not as highly regarded as Scruggs but looks to be a future stud to me. (as I predicted in the off season when I commented on another thread that he would be a starter by early Dec)
Y'all can do what you want as fans, but I would encourage you to wake up and enjoy each day during these lofty Muskie times. This season, knock on wood, should be stellar again with a chance to compete for all the marbles. Enjoy the process. Enjoy each game as Team 96 ebbs & flows, evolves and develops their own identity and chemistry. No need to fret about recruiting as we can chew on that come late April 2018 and beyond....
If you read my whole post, you will see I was defending the recruitment. Oh, and I am well seasoned and not "jaded". Thanks though.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Huntington Prep has a pretty good track record in it's short time of existence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntington_Prep_School

Andrew Wiggins (Kansas - which might be the reason for KU's "interest") and Miles Bridges of Mich St are "alums".

The class of 2018 may not be the best class during Coach Mack's tenure but probably won't be the worst - that would be the class that was Canty, McKenzie and Latham.
Plus with the graduate transfers, you never know who might get added after the season.
X has had very good success mining those opportunities.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Don’t be surprised if there isn’t another announcement very quickly....Xavier has offered at least 2 Junior College players in the last couple of weeks, maybe more.

It’s not like the coaches are not TRYING, they are working hard but sometimes the hits don’t just fall in.

They also have several offers out on TOP players in the 2019 class according to 24/7.

News Flash.....Xavier WILL field a team every year for the foreseeable future! :mrgreen:
#WHYNOTX?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:46 pm

bluegrass wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:23 pm
  • Like every other recruit,you don't know what you're getting until they step on the court.Did any one know how good David West would be[/list

Great point re: DW. However, I think using a larger sample over a longer period of time would show definitively that the better players are the ones with the most stars. I do wonder why when we reeled in our very highly rated class last year, I don’t recall one post saying, ”It doesn’t mean they’ll be good players in college”, or analogies being used like under heralded players such as Brian Grant and D West diminishes the rankings of the likes of Scruggs, Marshall, and Harden (as well as the other two we lost).

It's ok to say that so far the class of 18’ has been a disappointment. Does anyone want to compare the three we have so far to Scruggs, Harden, and Marshall? Regardless, as X’s biggest fan, I’ll root for these guys, even though their cumulative average rankings hovers in the 300 range. I’d also much rather have these lesser skilled players than the likes of more talented players with questionable characters like Eyikor, one of the most bizarre recruits the coaches brought in despite his unresolved legal situation.

Coaches are human too, so they sometimes fail. Is that ok to acknowledge? When we are competing for players with the likes of teams in the bottom quartile of D-1 basketball, you know we veered off the road on the recruiting trail. Time to get back on track. AH will be rooting them on every step in the journey.
gym from delhi

Postby gym from delhi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 am

Lucidity, until he got shafted by Bob Staak, Jon Hanley led the team in scoring with an 18.4 avg and was also drafted by the NBA; I wouldn't classify him with Bob King.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:34 pm

Everyone keeps bringing up David West. It’s been close to 20 years since he was recruited. Evaluation of recruits has changed so much in the last several years. Especially with AAU teams, scouts, shoe companies, etc. All other things being equal I think we all prefer a 4 or 5 Star than a non rated recruit. For now I’m just going to be excited about this years team for which I have great expectations barring any unforeseen circumstances such as injuries.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”