Talk XU Men's basketball here...
hoosiermuskie

Re: Rider Game Thread 11-13-17

Postby hoosiermuskie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:55 pm

5 fouls in 11 minutes for SOM. Glad we have Tyrique
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:13 am

Was at this game, the pace of play was absolutely crushed by the officials calling Ticky tack stuff both ways.

I'm not too worried about a sloppy first half because Mack was really experimenting with the lineup a lot. I think there were a couple lineups we'll never see again.

Tre and JP are obviously doing tre and JP stuff. Naji looks really good and very confident for a freshman. Scruggs is talented but looks a bit less sure of himself right now (to me it looks like he still has to think too much).

I'm a little worried about kanter. I'm not sure what his role is. He seems to disappear out there. He gets beat on d fairly easily. He hasn't really shown the ability to be a stretch four or even a very solid rebounder at this point. I'm hoping as the season goes on he'll eventually have that game where the other bigs are in foul trouble and he'll get a chance to settle into a role and get some confidence.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:44 am

lionelchalmers0 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:13 am
Was at this game, the pace of play was absolutely crushed by the officials calling Ticky tack stuff both ways.

I'm not too worried about a sloppy first half because Mack was really experimenting with the lineup a lot. I think there were a couple lineups we'll never see again.

Tre and JP are obviously doing tre and JP stuff. Naji looks really good and very confident for a freshman. Scruggs is talented but looks a bit less sure of himself right now (to me it looks like he still has to think too much).

I'm a little worried about kanter. I'm not sure what his role is. He seems to disappear out there. He gets beat on d fairly easily. He hasn't really shown the ability to be a stretch four or even a very solid rebounder at this point. I'm hoping as the season goes on he'll eventually have that game where the other bigs are in foul trouble and he'll get a chance to settle into a role and get some confidence.
I agree. Kanter seemed to be too mechanical and stiff at times especially going for a loose ball. It could also be he is thinking too much because he is in a different system. Time will tell. One thing the three freshmen seem to have is confidence
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 am

late in the game Scruggs seemed to find a spot just below the foul line, against that zone Rider was playing, where he really looked comfortable. Got a couple of easy baskets and drew a foul.

Also, the foul shooting was MUCH improved over last year...83% on 29-35 shooting. Keep that up and X will be a hard team to beat offensively.

On the other hand.....the defense needs work and Especially the defensive rebounding...ugh. Way to many 2nd chance shots as they gave up 19 offensive rebounds to a smaller team. Can't let that continue to happen. I suspect that this will be point of emphasis in today's practice. :shock:
#WHYNOTX?
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:48 am

For those interested, JP moved to 39 and TB moved to 12 on the all-time scorers list
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you
Ralph Waldo Emerson
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 am

Refs (the dark haired one, in particular) tried to make the game be about him instead of the play on the floor and just ruined the flow/rhythm at times by blowing the whistle too many times.

we knew we weren't going to shoot 60+% from 3 every game. ain't gonna happen. have to work to get the ball inside more although Rider was quick and did a good job cutting off post entries. i thought they boxed out on D better than we did. i do think some off rebounds were just long shots, long rebounds over our heads. however, several were just missed box outs and that will get fixed, i'm sure.

the frosh will come along the more and more game experience they get. Sean will be a factor this season. we need him to be because i am worried about Kanter. he's just soft, mechanical, etc. every chance he had at a loose ball or 50/50 rebound, he lost. he just looks like he doesn't play very hard and that worries me because then his role becomes "stretch their big out far and try to hit a couple 3's a game" and right now he can't even do that.

solid win, though.

HUGE game on Thursday.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:00 am

That dark haired red SUCKS.

I always hate when I see him at a game bc you know 50+ BS fouls are coming.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:46 am

Maybe Kanter can challenge some of his brothers fake toughness. Q is going to have to play better on Thursday.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:30 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:39 pm
Phantom foul on SOM. His 3rd
Lazy call. However, Som is a poor defender of guys driving to the hoop, so he should simply get into a stationary position to take a charge, or simply go for the rebound.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:38 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 am
late in the game Scruggs seemed to find a spot just below the foul line, against that zone Rider was playing, where he really looked comfortable. Got a couple of easy baskets and drew a foul.

Also, the foul shooting was MUCH improved over last year...83% on 29-35 shooting. Keep that up and X will be a hard team to beat offensively.

On the other hand.....the defense needs work and Especially the defensive rebounding...ugh. Way to many 2nd chance shots as they gave up 19 offensive rebounds to a smaller team. Can't let that continue to happen. I suspect that this will be point of emphasis in today's practice. :shock:
Me loves seeing Scruggs driving to the hole, and cringe when he shoots outside of 15. I know he made a 3, but I think most teams would gladly concede that shot to him, especially b/c he is so explosive to the hole. I think he will turn out to be a shutdown defender.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”