Talk XU Men's basketball here...
ChitownSteve

Re: ASU Game thread 11/24/17

Postby ChitownSteve » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:33 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:06 pm
attydjs wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:05 pm
At least I went to Law School at Cincinnati!(X is my undergrad alma mater) I bet they blow X out of the gym. X always frustrates me. They don't have the killer instinct and are the "sloppiest" ball handling team every year. Bluet is not NBA material. Too slow, not athletic enough, the NBA defensive players will stop him cold. Another fair to good X college player. Big East will shut this team down. Too bad Sumner didn't stay. Goodin is not a "point guard," and Scruggs or should I say Scrubbs looks lost.
Listen,

If you're going to be a troll, at least do your homework. Cronin has been at UC for 13 years (?), and has made it to the Sweet Sixteen 2x I believe. Your Boyz are the ultimate underachievers. X's wins in the NCAA relative to UC in the Cronin era is at least 3 to 1. As far as Blueitt is concerned, he may not make it to the NBA, but to call him a good to fair college bball player shows both your lack of acumen, and downright ignorance. It's also laughable to say X has the sloppiest ball handlers, when our freshman pg Goodin led the team to the Elite 8, while Cronin's great eye for talent brought in the likes of Muhammed, Wright, and Troy "I'm slower than the average UC lineman' Caupain.

X's list includes Lavender, Holloway, Christian, Sumner, and now Goodin.

Despite the fact that this is one of the precious few times UC actually has a team that might play past the 2nd weekend in the last two decades, it's probably wise not to gloat based on recent history. Perhaps you should make it an early night so you don't have to wait in line for tomorrow's game of that juggernaut of a football team you have, who struggles to outdraw St. X in attendance, in the mighty, mighty, AAC.
+1 👏
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:30 am

This team will be as good as Bluett is. If he struggles, they will struggle against better teams. He was pretty average tonight offensively, and defensively, not so much. Az St. is a good team, but they squeaked by K St. last night so i'm not ready to crown them as being a top 20 team. It will be interesting to see how they bounce back against Baylor, but at least it's at home. My bigger fear for this squad is the front court. I'll be interested over the next month to see how they play defensively, and whether they can stay on the court and avoid foul trouble. It's one game, but 100 plus points is an eye opener.
Xu2003

Postby Xu2003 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:17 am

What happens in vegas stays in vegas! I expect a much better defensive effort on Monday, it was absolutely putrid tonight.
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:10 am

X4LIFE wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:31 pm
I'm done with this team and this season. Yes already. No way they make the Final Four or even the tourney playing defense and getting blown out by an Unrakned team. Just a sign of things to come in my opinion. I'm out.
My condolences on your short lifespan.
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you
Ralph Waldo Emerson
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:55 am

Well spoken, Shadow. Boys will be boys. Even when they're girls.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:42 pm

X4LIFE wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:52 pm
Muskieman, I've always ignored your attempts at humor or sarcasm. But, what in the world does watching Zona have to do with being frustrated by X's play? Sometimes I think you try too hard to be clever.
Mman has proof that SM had something to do with the Kennedy assassination, global warming, and the rigged elections in Nicaragua.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:07 pm

Shadow wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:10 am
X4LIFE wrote:
I'm done with this team and this season. Yes already. No way they make the Final Four or even the tourney playing defense and getting blown out by an Unrakned team. Just a sign of things to come in my opinion. I'm out.
My condolences on your short lifespan.
How ironic his name is X4Life
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 pm

X4LIFE wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:52 pm
Muskieman, I've always ignored your attempts at humor or sarcasm. But, what in the world does watching Zona have to do with being frustrated by X's play? Sometimes I think you try too hard to be clever.
then I guess you are proud of your post
X4LIFE wrote:
certainly you moniker is not based on your level of loyality
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:54 pm

I disagree with the comments about the ASU guards being less talented. Shorter, yes but less talented, no. ASU will likely prove to be a good to a very good team. I suspect they will not go deep in the tourney due to lack of depth and size but should have a good year. This was a terrible match-up for an X team that lacks speed and defensive intensity. Combine that with hot shooting and some poor officiating and you get a loss.

X4Life may be overstating the state of the team but he is right that this team has to start getting after it for 40 minutes. The defense is bad to terrible. Rebounding is disappointing to bad. Carelessness with the ball is also a problem. The offense has generally been good with the exception of turnovers but I wonder how the offense will look against athletic defensive minded teams. The offensive set is not great, which is likely a big part of why the droughts happen.

Coaching was very absent in this game. Yes the players have to put forth the effort but the coach also needs to either motivate them with a better game plan or with inspiration. To stop attacking from the post in the 2nd half when it worked so well in the first half is just silly. Having Q and Scruggs dribble up the court against pressure when they could simply pass to another player not being pressed is also dumb. Q could have been called for carry at least 10 times so every time he dribbled up the court was a gamble. If passing to another guard/SF resulted in a 2nd pressure player then possibly let the PG dribble against the pressure but at least test their reaction.

Congrats to JP on a strong performance. Kaiser and Kanter both also played well. Everyone needs to up the defensive intensity/positioning.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:13 pm

madness31 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:54 pm
I disagree with the comments about the ASU guards being less talented. Shorter, yes but less talented, no. ASU will likely prove to be a good to a very good team. I suspect they will not go deep in the tourney due to lack of depth and size but should have a good year. This was a terrible match-up for an X team that lacks speed and defensive intensity. Combine that with hot shooting and some poor officiating and you get a loss.

X4Life may be overstating the state of the team but he is right that this team has to start getting after it for 40 minutes. The defense is bad to terrible. Rebounding is disappointing to bad. Carelessness with the ball is also a problem. The offense has generally been good with the exception of turnovers but I wonder how the offense will look against athletic defensive minded teams. The offensive set is not great, which is likely a big part of why the droughts happen.

Coaching was very absent in this game. Yes the players have to put forth the effort but the coach also needs to either motivate them with a better game plan or with inspiration. To stop attacking from the post in the 2nd half when it worked so well in the first half is just silly. Having Q and Scruggs dribble up the court against pressure when they could simply pass to another player not being pressed is also dumb. Q could have been called for carry at least 10 times so every time he dribbled up the court was a gamble. If passing to another guard/SF resulted in a 2nd pressure player then possibly let the PG dribble against the pressure but at least test their reaction.

Congrats to JP on a strong performance. Kaiser and Kanter both also played well. Everyone needs to up the defensive intensity/positioning.
Q could have been called for carry at least 10 times so every time he dribbled up the court was a gamble.

I've always thought he comes dangerously close to carrying, but he hasn't be called for it with any regularity since coming to X, so it must not be an issue.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”