Crosstown Shootout Predicitions

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Crosstown Shootout Predicitions

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:13 pm

This is the 1st time in the Mick "one (or possibly two) S-16 in 12 years at UC" Cronin era, that the game will feature two F-4 caliber teams. Both teams are very similar, in that they can beat you in inside or out, and can score into the 80s. X also proved, if only for one game against a talented team, that they can win a low scoring match as they did against Baylor.

Keys:
-Goodin & Scruggs will have to play the same smothering defense against UC's 2 short PGs.
-X has to continue trying to score in transition, because UC has a top ten defense, particularly in the half court, as they do every year.
X has to handle UC's pressure and make them pay by scoring off of it.
-X has to get to the foul line.
X has to win, or be even in the rebounding battle, particularly on the defensive end.

Prediction: Tre will once again be the star of the game, and SOM will have some key buckets for X. They ultimately win at the F.T. line, because they'll shoot a higher percentage than UC.

Final: X 74, UC 70.
lionelchalmers0

Re: Crosstown Shootout Predicitions

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:28 pm

I agree with most of that although "top 10" defense may be a bit of a stretch.

I think one interesting key is this: UCs SOS is currently 321. 321st!! That's according to realtimerpi.com. Everyone plays a few cupcakes but wow they have played NOBODY. Xavier has already been battle tested against three power five teams including two that are ranked.

I think it'll take uc a bit to get used to actual division 1 speed again. The game is different. It's much faster, rebounds are harder to grab, and guys blow by you faster on d. Jump shots go up faster.

I think Xavier has an opportunity to come out fast, they just gotta hit their shots and play good d/rebound. I could really see them opening up on like a 25-8 run or something.

Then you have to play tough and smart and play off the crowd.

X 79- mick 71
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:33 pm

We have to rebound and play solid interior defense. If so we win. Zip em up
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:37 pm

If UC does happen to win, I think it will be due to an explosive offensive day by Cumberland, or possibly Jacobs. Cumberland has NBA talent, shoots well from the outside, and scores well in traffic. He's too powerful for JP or Tre, but one of the two will be guarding him (probably JP). They need to make him work hard when he plays defense on them, and hopefully get him into foul trouble.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:40 pm

The game will again be decided in the paint. If O'mara, Jones and Gates struggle to defend and not foul it will again make things difficult. If they hold their own, i like their chances. Hard to say if Kanter will be a factor. The main players on both sides have experience in this game so i doubt the environment impacts the game as much as it has in other instances.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:04 am

106-17 X
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:51 am

haven't watched one second of UC play this year so i have no idea but the atmosphere will be amazing.

if X can start hot, i believe it will be tough for UC to come back because of the energy in the arena.

the key will be this: Goodin stay out of foul trouble. when he plays, the offense runs well. when Scruggs has been at the point the last two games, it's been bad. he's been bad. Scruggs has to learn how to take care of the ball and make solid passes, etc. can't have turnovers (especially pick 6's) turning into points. that leads to my other key - TAKE CARE OF THE BALL. if we can have single digit turnovers, that would be awesome.

can't wait!
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:21 am

Might as well weigh in - I honestly feel that, aside from the normal crap about needing your studs to perform somewhat up to par, LongliveSkip pretty much nails it above. Goodin must be careful not to pick up a silly foul or two the first 10 to 15 minutes of the game. Offense runs much better with him at PG. Tough to predict this game for two reasons:
1) This game has historically been hard to handicap as often a role player from one side erupts.
2) I hate UC so much, and I fear losing to them so badly, it clouds my otherwise fairly solid judgment!!!!!!

So cautiously going to say;
UC 72
Theology73

Postby Theology73 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:41 am

This should be a great game. Too bad it is hidden in the middle of key football match-ups and Christmas preparations. Only XU/Big East and UC/AAC fans will pay much attention. Both teams are solid, but I have to go with X considering home court and level of competition so far this year. 87-77.
Mark Twain was wrong. Golf is NOT a good walk spoiled. It is a shared personal experience in a majestic wonderland guided by God, whose name is called frequently during the round.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:20 pm

You can thank Fox sports for the scheduling.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”