Kent State thread 12/6

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
finalfourorbust

Re: Kent State thread 12/6

Postby finalfourorbust » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:58 am

skyking wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:48 pm
Sure glad Tre decided to come back for his senior year. Bet he is too. His stock is rising.
Bilas doesn't have him drafted in the first two rounds.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 am

harryfe wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:11 am
Lots of good things. Especially from bigs. Can’t believe SOM’s ft shooting. Sure haven’t seen much out of Scruggs so far. I know he is just a freshman. But several fans said he could be a one and done. Somehow I doubt it
of all the guys who get significant minutes, i am most disappointed in Scruggs' play. i think he was the recruit with the most hype and he has yet to show me anything. he can't stretch the D because he's not a threat from the 3 pt line and his decision making/results with the ball when he does get his man into the paint have not been good. hey, he's a freshmen. he will get better. i do think his defense has been fine. maybe i'm not seeing some other things that just don't show up in the stats and that's fine. i think sometimes we get this view from recruiting ranks, etc of what these guys should be able to do RIGHT when they come in as frosh and those expectations are just way too high, so i'm probably more on the critical side because of those expectations. so be it. i am confident he will get better.

on to Colorado.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 am
harryfe wrote:
Lots of good things. Especially from bigs. Can’t believe SOM’s ft shooting. Sure haven’t seen much out of Scruggs so far. I know he is just a freshman. But several fans said he could be a one and done. Somehow I doubt it
of all the guys who get significant minutes, i am most disappointed in Scruggs' play. i think he was the recruit with the most hype and he has yet to show me anything. he can't stretch the D because he's not a threat from the 3 pt line and his decision making/results with the ball when he does get his man into the paint have not been good. hey, he's a freshmen. he will get better. i do think his defense has been fine. maybe i'm not seeing some other things that just don't show up in the stats and that's fine. i think sometimes we get this view from recruiting ranks, etc of what these guys should be able to do RIGHT when they come in as frosh and those expectations are just way too high, so i'm probably more on the critical side because of those expectations. so be it. i am confident he will get better.

on to Colorado.
Is Scruggs really a point guard? He just doesn't look smooth handling the ball.But agree that I think he will be a good one.There was some silly talk about him being a one and done.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:19 pm

longliveskip wrote:
harryfe wrote:

on to Colorado.
I remember many that said the same thing about Q, and TU, in their freshman year
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
McX

Postby McX » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:32 am

muskieman wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:19 pm
longliveskip wrote:
harryfe wrote:

on to Colorado.
I remember many that said the same thing about Q, and TU, in their freshman year
And let's not forget Jamal, how frustrating was he to watch his first year on the floor!!!
finalfourorbust

Postby finalfourorbust » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:38 am

bluegrass wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 pm
longliveskip wrote:
harryfe wrote:

on to Colorado.
Is Scruggs really a point guard? He just doesn't look smooth handling the ball.But agree that I think he will be a good one.There was some silly talk about him being a one and done.
He just needs to slow down. He plays faster than he thinks which is typical for a freshman point guard. Q did the same thing. I'm not concerned with his ball handling or defensive abilities. I would just like to see both he and Quentin become more of an outside shooting threat when our shooters are having a bad night and we need it.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:19 pm

finalfourorbust wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:38 am
bluegrass wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 pm
longliveskip wrote:

on to Colorado.
He just needs to slow down. He plays faster than he thinks which is typical for a freshman point guard. Q did the same thing. I'm not concerned with his ball handling or defensive abilities. I would just like to see both he and Quentin become more of an outside shooting threat when our shooters are having a bad night and we need it.
This is exactly what I see with him. I think the game itself is moving faster than what he's used to which is natural when jumping to D1 college basketball. I think his handle is actually really good and his d is solid for a freshman. When in the flow of the game he makes some very impressive passes and he obviously loves to finish at the rik which I'm sure is the most comfortable part of his game for him.

He was shaky against Baylor and uc but overall has done well as a freshman at the hardest position to adjust to going up a level. Naji for example is able to just run around grabbing rebounds and getting put backs whereas Scruggs has to run the entire offense while in. He will be fine and we will all end up really happy to have him. In the mean time, Mack needs to always have Q in at crunch time.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Scruggs will be fine. He is adjusting to a faster game. His main area concern is his outside shot, but same be said with Q
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:14 pm

finalfourorbust wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:58 am
skyking wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:48 pm
Sure glad Tre decided to come back for his senior year. Bet he is too. His stock is rising.
Bilas doesn't have him drafted in the first two rounds.
I think he has actually improved his lateral quickness and defense, but he still has below average dribbling skills. He is such a great shooter, that hopefully an NBA team values that enough draft him, hoping his dribbling comes along. Kyle Korver is a good parallel.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 pm

muskieman wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:19 pm
longliveskip wrote:
harryfe wrote:

on to Colorado.
Many said that about a lot of guys including Q, SOM, J Love, BJ Raymond, and others, but not Tu. Tu was composed and productive his 1st game with X, and played a key role in helping them win the P.R. tourney. I think he was perfect at the line as well.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”