1-3-1 Defense

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-Expert

1-3-1 Defense

Postby X-Expert » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:30 am

I think this defense works in spurts. It was bad against DePaul, Tennessee state team, and Marquette but also had some good spurts in those games. However, overall I think it is better to use more as a 4-5 possession type D at a time. It seems like teams eventually figure it out and knock down wide open 3s.
titansbaseball01

Re: 1-3-1 Defense

Postby titansbaseball01 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:51 pm

I obviously do not have the stats to back it up, but I felt as if Providence scored on almost every possession in which we were in the 1-3-1. In the first half the game was back and forth to begin, we switched to the 1-3-1 and that is when they pulled away. We then switched back to man and the game became closer towards the end of the half.

In the second half we got the game down to a possession or two and went back to the 1-3-1 and Providence scored on 3 straight possessions to get the game back to 8 points.

I agree with you in that the defense should be used in spurts, but Mack has turned to it too often this year in my opinion. If the opponent finds success against it early then we should turn away from it. Depaul and Eastern Tennessee were not good shooting teams and we were able to force them into 3's which they were not making. Butler and Marquette, especially Marquette, are good shooting teams, but the defense was able to disrupt their offense and get them out of their flow.

In my opinion the defense should be used rarely.
muskieman

Re: 1-3-1 Defense

Postby muskieman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:39 pm

I find it funny that a few years ago the cry was "Why doesn't Chris use a zone" The 1-3-1 like all zones work at time and don't work at times. Certainly, when a team is hitting the threes they defeat the zone but not all teams can shoot the threes all game long and when they do they normally win. it is always so easy to cry for the zone when man to man doesn't work and to cry for man to man or a different zone when a certain zone doesn't work. based on the fact I don't make a million plus to make the decision I will leave it to the successful coach and give a playful SMIRK https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1061/ ... 480481057
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”