Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 21534
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:52 pm

X4LIFE wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 pm
muskieman wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 pm
X4LIFE wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:10 pm
Maybe I did muskieman. And they were the last team in, had favorable matchups in the first and second round won, got some confidence and made the elite 8. Like I said they are going nowhere fast right now and if they don’t get a favorable matchup they will lose in the first round. I don’t think that’s a wrong assessment. It’s an honest one.
made on what the last two games? You must really have jumped off the Zona band wagon after their three losses if you were a zona fan
I am a Mack fan, a Miller fan, a Matta fan, a Prosser fan, a Gillen fan. I am a fan of all current and former X coaches. And I’m a fan of X. Just because I am a fan does not mean I cannot think critically. And right now this team is in dire straits. And they better get their heads right quick.
I agree with the last statement of them getting their heads on straight I disagree with your critical thinking. Why> because you have never shown us anything but the critical
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-Expert
Posts: 1820
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby X-Expert » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:55 pm

muskieman wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 pm
madness31 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 pm
Generally top 10 and even top 25 teams do not get blown out. X might not be a top 25 team if Tre can't play efficient.

Of course that doesn't excuse the prior teams that have consistently been blown out by Nova. This gets back to coaching. Most top 25 and especially top 10 teams have very good coaches. The coaches make adjustments on the offensive and/or defensive ends to keep competitive. X doesn't do that. They stick with a losing game plan because that is what they know.
hard to change a game plan built around your two most prolific scorers and one that can add significant points from the three point line all who have an off night. Do you go away from what brought you to the dance? Do you tell Tre to stop shooting because you just play into the other teams hands when you bind the hands of your stars. X played man to man and they scored on us, went to the 1-3-1 and the 2-3 at times with little success, why because nova was being Nova and were shooting the ball .....do you have a defense that would have stopped Nova....didn't think so! They had three stars shoot well tonight Booth, Bridges and Brunson ...which one would your D have stopped. X beat them on the boards, even the O boards but shot 41%to 55% madness you have the same line every loss while forgetting that X has 15 wins. I am not satisfied with the loss tonight but I look to the larger picture while you just wanted to brag tomorrow at work and the guys didn't give you the chance.
MM agree you stay with your stars but the reality is that X did change the game plan by pounding inside to Kanter until they doubled him. Yes all of Xs D was bad. in 2nd half, on 6 straight possessions, Nova was 4-6 from 3 against 1-3-1 and the only misses were two wide open looks (although one make was a defended 3). Man was not great as Brunson is best player on court (probably BE) and Miles may be second. Having said that, I do agree that JP and Tre have gotten you here and you have to trust in them. Reality is Nova just better than X by a long shot. Just hope not 30 points better.
thecoach
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby thecoach » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:02 pm

X-Expert wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:45 pm
thecoach wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 pm
This team isn't in dire straits, the faithful have just gotten ahead of themselves in expectations. Going into the conference season we had really one strong road win at Wisconsin and they have now lost what 9 or 10 games? Best win is likely Uc and it was at home in their first road game. How good was the start, very good, but not as great when held under a microscope. I'll be most curious to see how we shoot the ball the rest of the season. %'s tend to even out. Hopefully this team hasn't shot it's best ball early, as defense is not likely to be it's strong suit.
great comment. Was thinking today looking at their "quality wins". Wisconsin isn't good and I believe Northern Iowa is like 0-4 in their league. Marquette and Butler are good wins and they have to beat Creighton this weekend. Kanter has been a huge surprise after seeing his first four games
To go further with it, some of the wins to date honestly could have gone either way. They were by no means blowouts, and often were pulled out with really hot shooting. It's great if you can keep that up, but as we've seen the last two games it's far from a certainty. I'd say from the eyeball test a couple months end they are a better team offensively with the addition of Kanter, but worse defensively. Lot of careless mistakes, and really not a stopper defensively. The other thing is it appear Kaiser Gates is pretty much lost. He came out looking good, but the emergence of Kanter seems to have sent him packing. They'll need him next year, hopefully he sticks with it as he's far from an all big east power forward as he was described in earlier euphoric times.
X4LIFE
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby X4LIFE » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:07 pm

muskieman wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 pm
madness31 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 pm
Generally top 10 and even top 25 teams do not get blown out. X might not be a top 25 team if Tre can't play efficient.

Of course that doesn't excuse the prior teams that have consistently been blown out by Nova. This gets back to coaching. Most top 25 and especially top 10 teams have very good coaches. The coaches make adjustments on the offensive and/or defensive ends to keep competitive. X doesn't do that. They stick with a losing game plan because that is what they know.
hard to change a game plan built around your two most prolific scorers and one that can add significant points from the three point line all who have an off night. Do you go away from what brought you to the dance? Do you tell Tre to stop shooting because you just play into the other teams hands when you bind the hands of your stars. X played man to man and they scored on us, went to the 1-3-1 and the 2-3 at times with little success, why because nova was being Nova and were shooting the ball .....do you have a defense that would have stopped Nova....didn't think so! They had three stars shoot well tonight Booth, Bridges and Brunson ...which one would your D have stopped. X beat them on the boards, even the O boards but shot 41%to 55% madness you have the same line every loss while forgetting that X has 15 wins. I am not satisfied with the loss tonight but I look to the larger picture while you just wanted to brag tomorrow at work and the guys didn't give you the chance.
Could have gotten your point across without the “didn’t think so” and “you just wanted to brag tomorrow at work” comments. You have your own opinions and can express them without being insulting or demeaning to fans on this board.
X played terrible defense tonight. And Nova shot well because of it. When Nova shoots above average consistently against X at home it’s not all Nova. It’s also a lack of defensive effort by X as well.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 21534
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:13 pm

X4LIFE wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:07 pm
muskieman wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 pm
madness31 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 pm
Generally top 10 and even top 25 teams do not get blown out. X might not be a top 25 team if Tre can't play efficient.

Of course that doesn't excuse the prior teams that have consistently been blown out by Nova. This gets back to coaching. Most top 25 and especially top 10 teams have very good coaches. The coaches make adjustments on the offensive and/or defensive ends to keep competitive. X doesn't do that. They stick with a losing game plan because that is what they know.
hard to change a game plan built around your two most prolific scorers and one that can add significant points from the three point line all who have an off night. Do you go away from what brought you to the dance? Do you tell Tre to stop shooting because you just play into the other teams hands when you bind the hands of your stars. X played man to man and they scored on us, went to the 1-3-1 and the 2-3 at times with little success, why because nova was being Nova and were shooting the ball .....do you have a defense that would have stopped Nova....didn't think so! They had three stars shoot well tonight Booth, Bridges and Brunson ...which one would your D have stopped. X beat them on the boards, even the O boards but shot 41%to 55% madness you have the same line every loss while forgetting that X has 15 wins. I am not satisfied with the loss tonight but I look to the larger picture while you just wanted to brag tomorrow at work and the guys didn't give you the chance.
Could have gotten your point across without the “didn’t think so” and “you just wanted to brag tomorrow at work” comments. You have your own opinions and can express them without being insulting or demeaning to fans on this board.
X played terrible defense tonight. And Nova shot well because of it. When Nova shoots above average consistently against X at home it’s not all Nova. It’s also a lack of defensive effort by X as well.
and you need a new moniker something like trying2getalife
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
harryfe
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby harryfe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:47 pm

We have many problems. But how can we win with our 2 point guard shooting 5 for 40 from 3. Put your $ on Creighton Saturday.
And if the rumor about CM going to Louisville is true, it will take time to bring the program back especially if we hire a current or previous assistant.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 4552
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:59 pm

I was just ready to go to bed after watching sassy Samantha in one of my fave Sex in the City episodes until Shadow just chewed me out for not following thru on page 17, point 3a of my Junior Moderator's training program. Simply put, it says "I must be the voice of reason whenever the X train comes off the tracks".

Get a grip, people! X only lost two in a row, one fully expected. Do you remember last year, when X lost 6 of 8 (or something like that), lost their starting point guard and still made it to the E8? To top it off, this team is better than last year's squad. X will win Saturday and still remain in the top 15. They'll lose two more games in the BE, and make it to the semi-finals (at least) in the BE tourney, and still be a 3 seed.

X4Life, if you ever want to post again on this board, schedule some time with my secretary X-Luc, and tell me how you're going to stop being such a Negative Nate.

Seacrest out.
X4LIFE
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby X4LIFE » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 am

Haha! You see Anti Homer if I am negative it is only in losses. When they get to a final 4 I will never be negative again. So now negativity is a reason to be banned? Lol!
X4LIFE
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby X4LIFE » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:15 am

muskieman wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:13 pm
X4LIFE wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:07 pm
muskieman wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 pm


hard to change a game plan built around your two most prolific scorers and one that can add significant points from the three point line all who have an off night. Do you go away from what brought you to the dance? Do you tell Tre to stop shooting because you just play into the other teams hands when you bind the hands of your stars. X played man to man and they scored on us, went to the 1-3-1 and the 2-3 at times with little success, why because nova was being Nova and were shooting the ball .....do you have a defense that would have stopped Nova....didn't think so! They had three stars shoot well tonight Booth, Bridges and Brunson ...which one would your D have stopped. X beat them on the boards, even the O boards but shot 41%to 55% madness you have the same line every loss while forgetting that X has 15 wins. I am not satisfied with the loss tonight but I look to the larger picture while you just wanted to brag tomorrow at work and the guys didn't give you the chance.
Could have gotten your point across without the “didn’t think so” and “you just wanted to brag tomorrow at work” comments. You have your own opinions and can express them without being insulting or demeaning to fans on this board.
X played terrible defense tonight. And Nova shot well because of it. When Nova shoots above average consistently against X at home it’s not all Nova. It’s also a lack of defensive effort by X as well.
and you need a new moniker something like trying2getalife
My what wit you have! It appears admins are the only ones allowed to be negative on this board. You should put yourself in a timeout muskieman. Shame on you😂
X4LIFE
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Villanova Game thread 01/10/2018

Postby X4LIFE » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:02 am

Alright. As far as being critical of the team you may be right. But, I don’t usually post when they win and just read comments. Look, X has become a great team over the years and with that expectations rise. Hoping they play well against Creighton and get back on track with a win.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests