Talk XU Men's basketball here...
mumuskie87

Re: Mack to...

Postby mumuskie87 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:33 pm
X Factor wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:21 pm
Mack will go if offered. Just look at how rough of a recruiting year he had this past year losing out on every top kid he offered.

That would never happen at Louisville. Recruiting would be way easier, and for a coach, that is a lot less stressful.
Also,

Nova won't bolt for the ACC anytime soon.
Quite true
But on a serious note, there will be a changing of the guard in the next few years in the ACC.
Jim B at Syracuse is 73. Coach K will be 71 and "Ol Roy is 67.
At some point, they head out pasture.
And then I think that there could be the UConn Syndrome at play - great coach retires (Calhoun) some initial success by his successor but the fade starts.
Mack will be a good position at the Ville.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
xu koop scoop

Postby xu koop scoop » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 am

Coaching at XU, Mack has NOVA as his demon. Does he really want double demons - N Carolina & Duke. At least he wouldn't have to play both of them twice each year. Wouldn't blame him if he moves on.
XavierBob

Postby XavierBob » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:57 am

Haven’t posted in quite a while. I fully expect Chris to look long and hard at Louisville, he will make the decision he feels his best for him and his family. As a former administrator I hope negotiations haven’t started, even preliminary ones, to me this would pose a distraction. Until the end of the season I need 100% of my coach. I don’t know what is happening or even pretend to but if this is true it is disappointing. I understand that this probably happens frequently but that doesn’t make it ok.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:39 pm

It would be an interesting decision which losing Tb, Mac and i guess Kanter would have to figure in at least somewhat. That's a lot of offense to replace. If ever there was a table set if the job was offered, this year would be it.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:55 pm

X-Expert wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:47 pm
X Factor wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:21 pm
Mack will go if offered. Just look at how rough of a recruiting year he had this past year losing out on every top kid he offered.

That would never happen at Louisville. Recruiting would be way easier, and for a coach, that is a lot less stressful.
I do think part of the reason X lost out was coaches likely saying Mack is going to be gone. If he doesn't accept Louisville (if offered) recruiting will come back
The rumors definetly hurt recruiting.Let's face it ,Louisville will throw a ton of $$$ at him.More than X and the Sedlers ever could.And taking into account all the players we lose after this year,I think it would be a good time for him to leave.Hope not but I won't be surprised.
rickf

Postby rickf » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:22 pm

We would have another great coach come in. Except (big except) for increased income who has done better consistently after leaving?
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm

rickf wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:22 pm
We would have another great coach come in. Except (big except) for increased income who has done better consistently after leaving?
Thad had a pretty good run at OSU including a national runner up.I always worry that we're due for a clunker.We're going on 40 years of good coaches.Honestlyy the worst coach we've had was probably Skip and he had a good run.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Mark Few is one of his best coaching friends. I hope that he will help convince Chris to stay put. Take your couple million each year and enjoy tour city, family, and life!
bleedXblue

Postby bleedXblue » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:21 am

Really surprised by most of this info

I think Mack is very happy here
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:28 pm

There are some people who would obviously be happy with Mack leaving. But it would be devastating to Xavier and the Big East.

If a perenial top-25 team in a prenial top-3 league cannot keep an up-and-coming coach, then it would send the wrong signal to recruits, other up-and-coming coaches, the media, and general hoops fan base.

Mack has not perfected his coaching style just yet. I really think he can take us to our first Final Four, or beyond. I just don't see any coach in the country replacing him withoug a major loss in momentum. Being in an a very unforgiving league, it could take us 5-10 years to get back to the Sweet 16.

Xavier and the Big East need Mack to stay until he has passed his prime and we have a Final Four under our belt to advertise ourselves as a destination job.
Let's March!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”