Radical idea

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Go Go Golston

Radical idea

Postby Go Go Golston » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Here's a radical idea.
For the rest of the BE regular season start Kanter at the 4 and Gates at the 3 and bring TB in off the bench like Butler did last year with Martin. The league knows Blueitt so well that he will struggle down the stretch not being able to create space. Teams would have to prepare for Xavier differently. And Kanter has earned more minutes. Radical yes, but Posey did it twice and played 12 years in the NBA.
X-Expert

Re: Radical idea

Postby X-Expert » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:58 pm

Go Go Golston wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 pm
Here's a radical idea.
For the rest of the BE regular season start Kanter at the 4 and Gates at the 3 and bring TB in off the bench like Butler did last year with Martin. The league knows Blueitt so well that he will struggle down the stretch not being able to create space. Teams would have to prepare for Xavier differently. And Kanter has earned more minutes. Radical yes, but Posey did it twice and played 12 years in the NBA.
I would absolutely start Kanter. However, I would start Tre. First, unless injured he will come out of his slump. Secondly, teams have to guard him so perhaps with Kanter getting more minutes, more will open up for shooters.
xu koop scoop

Postby xu koop scoop » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Like the radical idea. Works if Tre is ok with it. Kanter could also start instead of JP or Gates. Whose personality would accept the role easiest? ps- if Rashid Gaston could start with O'Mara & Jones present, Kanter can start for sure - plus Jones, with O'Mara off bench.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:56 am

Good luck guarding the 2 and 3 against a lot of teams with Kanter and Gates or Omara in the lineup. Tb is not a lock down defender, but swapping him out for a bigger guy likely makes the D worse than it already is.
xu koop scoop

Postby xu koop scoop » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:16 am

In regards to guarding the 2 or 3 with 2 bigs in at same time. The bigs are playing the 4 & 5, so that's who they need to guard. Mack seems determined to play small ball a lot, which I would understand if he DIDN'T have a GOOD TRIO OF BIGS.
xu koop scoop

Postby xu koop scoop » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 am

Shake up the starting lineup for Creighton: Jones, Kanter, Naji, Tre or JP & Q. Let Gates & JP or Tre come off the bench. I think JP would be less offended than Tre coming off bench. By games end, minutes may be close to same as now . Point being Kanter & Naji seem to be improving quicker than others. O'Mara also deserving of chance. Our bench outscored are starters vs NOVA, that is part of reason for a shakeup. Might confuse the opponents early in the game too. "Shake it up baby, twist and improve."
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 pm

xu koop scoop wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:16 am
In regards to guarding the 2 or 3 with 2 bigs in at same time. The bigs are playing the 4 & 5, so that's who they need to guard. Mack seems determined to play small ball a lot, which I would understand if he DIDN'T have a GOOD TRIO OF BIGS.
You must be instructing Scruggs on his defensive prowess. lol

The point is somebody has to "help" at those positions guarding guys coming off the wings. You go with bigger guys(than a guy like Tb) i'll bet you a boatload those guys are going to be picking up fouls in droves. Defense is a team game, not an individual game. They go bigger, they will suffer defensively more than what is already occurring.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”