CM not a great coach

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
xu koop scoop
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:53 pm
Contact:

CM not a great coach

Postby xu koop scoop » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:55 am

CM as in Chris Mullin. Many had posted he wasn't a good coach at all. Same has been said in past about our CM. Mullin lost one of his best players early in season, or was it before season started? KUDOS to MULLIN for beating #4 Duke & #1 NOVA at their place. He only used 6 players vs Nova last night. He normally only uses 7. He is learning, without much experience, as a head coach. He has one of the Best Players in the land in Ponds.
Once you beat Duke you feel like you can beat anybody - and they just did. Now our Chris Mack I consider a very, very good Coach on the verge of Greatness. We need to beat a Duke, N.C, Kentucky, Kansas - or NOVA to feel like we can beat anybody. Winning the BE Title is within our grasp now. In my mind, that is the next step to Coach Mack's status of Great Coach.
X-Expert
Posts: 1963
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm
Contact:

Re: CM not a great coach

Postby X-Expert » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:15 am

Guess it depends on how you measure "good" or "great" coach. I would say he has done a great job recruiting and has athletes on the floor. Like GT, he seems to run a pro type offense. In both GT and St J cases against X. they had more than their chances to get good shots to win the game late and didn't because the first option was shut down. I know this is one play but they also say coaches are exposed in close games and good coaches take most of the close games. Hard to say that either coach is great, even good with their record. St Johns by all accounts have very good talent. You don't beat Duke, Nova and play X to the wire twice without having quality players so to be 0-11 would be a stretch to label him a good coach. Having said that, I think St Johns will be good next couple of years and he is out recruiting X and several of the other teams in BE at least for next year.
Letskeepitreal
Posts: 534
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:21 pm
Contact:

Re: CM not a great coach

Postby Letskeepitreal » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:32 pm

I think both SJU and GT will have very good teams in the coming year or two. I think that both teams have good talent but its hard to say how good the coaching is. Both teams should have better records than they do given their talent so I do not know how one can say they have good coaching.
vamusketeer
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: CM not a great coach

Postby vamusketeer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 am

Since re-shaping the Big East, SJU has recruited very well. And the fact is, raw talent will win some games. Looking at SJUs schedule this year, the large majority of their conference losses have been by a slim margin, and sometimes due to a lost late lead. This can happen occasionally, but when it becomes a trend I believe it is an indicator of poor coaching/in-game adjustments. An example from the Duke game; a little over a minute to go as Duke is coming back Clark II fouls out and the camera cuts to the SJU bench. CM is hugging and consoling Clark on fouling out while two assistants are shouting game plans into the huddle, both with whiteboards I believe. This stood out to me as a complete lack of direction in crunch time. In that second I thought SJU would be lucky to come away with a win. Luck prevailed.
xu koop scoop
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: CM not a great coach

Postby xu koop scoop » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:59 am

It is possible that Mullin recruits well and has Experienced Assistants working on game plans & adjustments. We have been blessed with good Assistants over the years & their work is often under appreciated.
User avatar
Shadow
Posts: 6066
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: CM not a great coach

Postby Shadow » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:04 am

vamusketeer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 am
Since re-shaping the Big East, SJU has recruited very well. And the fact is, raw talent will win some games. Looking at SJUs schedule this year, the large majority of their conference losses have been by a slim margin, and sometimes due to a lost late lead. This can happen occasionally, but when it becomes a trend I believe it is an indicator of poor coaching/in-game adjustments. An example from the Duke game; a little over a minute to go as Duke is coming back Clark II fouls out and the camera cuts to the SJU bench. CM is hugging and consoling Clark on fouling out while two assistants are shouting game plans into the huddle, both with whiteboards I believe. This stood out to me as a complete lack of direction in crunch time. In that second I thought SJU would be lucky to come away with a win. Luck prevailed.
Or it should be viewed as the team appreciating playing for a compassionate coach
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 4807
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: CM not a great coach

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Mman,

The inference in the thread is good enough for a 2-month ban. Unless, of course, he bolts for Lousiville next year. Then, let the games begin with the name calling and giddy threads about his losses! However, AH will root him on whether his team is blue or red next year.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 22128
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: CM not a great coach

Postby muskieman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:43 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:43 pm
Mman,

The inference in the thread is good enough for a 2-month ban. Unless, of course, he bolts for Lousiville next year. Then, let the games begin with the name calling and giddy threads about his losses! However, AH will root him on whether his team is blue or red next year.
You want be to ban YOU because of inferences. I might need to do that because you used inference in two separate threads.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 4807
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: CM not a great coach

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:43 pm

muskieman wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:43 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:43 pm
Mman,

The inference in the thread is good enough for a 2-month ban. Unless, of course, he bolts for Lousiville next year. Then, let the games begin with the name calling and giddy threads about his losses! However, AH will root him on whether his team is blue or red next year.
You want be to ban YOU because of inferences. I might need to do that because you used inference in two separate threads.
Now that I've reached Senior-Junior Moderator status, it takes a unanimous vote to ban another moderator, and I have both OSD and Shadow in my back pocket.
User avatar
Shadow
Posts: 6066
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: CM not a great coach

Postby Shadow » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Now that I've reached Senior-Junior Moderator status, it takes a unanimous vote to ban another moderator, and I have both OSD and Shadow in my back pocket.
Not until the check clears! :evil:
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests