Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:34 pm

Per Lance tweet

Goodin last 5 games
22 of 40 (.550)
9 of 14 3PT (.643)
61 points (12.2)
18 assists

Not too bad
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
bleedXblue

Re: Q stats

Postby bleedXblue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:39 am

Well, that's pretty solid
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:34 am

Remember when we were all excited to get Xavier Simpson as our point guard of the future! But he kept us at the altar and Q slipped in while XS decided! Wow, recruiting can be a real cr@p shoot!!
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:32 pm

SC in DC wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:34 am
Remember when we were all excited to get Xavier Simpson as our point guard of the future! But he kept us at the altar and Q slipped in while XS decided! Wow, recruiting can be a real cr@p shoot!!
Outside the top 50, I agree it becomes less predictable. However, it's not like Q had a ranking of 400. He was a top 100 recruit I believe, and either Ky Player of the Year, or a finalist.
slysyl

Postby slysyl » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:55 pm

I get to the home games early to watch the warm ups. Q has been working on his three point shooting all season. The difference in his attempts at the begining of the season compared to now is very impressive. I can see a smile on his face when he's shooting now. Hard work pays off.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:20 am

Q was just a raw athletic slashing/scoring combo guard from a relatively weak high school league when he arrived. Definitely not your typical refined 4-star point guard from a proven top-notch HS program. The plan obviously was to incubate Q under the wings of Ed last year. So much for the best laid plans.... I recall last season you would often see JP scolding him on the court for being out of place or not rotating the ball properly in an offensive set. I often thought there may even be some friction. At last year's Big East tourney, which I highly recommend everyone try and attend as NYC is simply a freaking blast, I saw JP give Q a huge hug during a time out in the 2nd half of the Butler game. You could tell it was sincere. Now we have the blossoming of improved outside shooting to go along with an already impressive assist to T/O ratio. Most of you may have caught this Saturday, but for those who did not, Q was interviewed by the local Fox19 crew about twenty minutes after the game. (by the way, I think those two Fox19 dudes do a tremendous job and really know & appreciate this sport). Q spoke about his progress in shooting and credited Kaiser Gates. He said he had been shooting AMAP ever since arriving on campus but that about a month ago on an off day, while in the gym shooting, KG had come up to him and said that he needed to shoot faster as if to simulate game speed intensity. Not just stroll around shooting relaxed. Q said ever since that day he has changed the way he works out and has seen these notable results & he credited KG!. Found that fascinating.
This kid is just scratching the surface. Also nice to see Scruggs and Q playing together more and developing productive chemistry together. Earlier in the season that combo was a train wreck....
Every season is a marathon. Every team evolves, ebbs & flows. X is an unfinished product but we are certainly flowing here lately more than ebbing. ;-)
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:38 am

Anti--I didn't mean Q was chopped liver--he wasn't I know--just that it seemed Simpson was X's first choice. And our 2nd choice turned out much better!
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:00 pm

The 3 point % is what I like to see.It's incredible how much he has improved there.It used to be you screamed every time he let a 3 fly.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:17 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:20 am
Q was just a raw athletic slashing/scoring combo guard from a relatively weak high school league when he arrived. Definitely not your typical refined 4-star point guard from a proven top-notch HS program. The plan obviously was to incubate Q under the wings of Ed last year. So much for the best laid plans.... I recall last season you would often see JP scolding him on the court for being out of place or not rotating the ball properly in an offensive set. I often thought there may even be some friction. At last year's Big East tourney, which I highly recommend everyone try and attend as NYC is simply a freaking blast, I saw JP give Q a huge hug during a time out in the 2nd half of the Butler game. You could tell it was sincere. Now we have the blossoming of improved outside shooting to go along with an already impressive assist to T/O ratio. Most of you may have caught this Saturday, but for those who did not, Q was interviewed by the local Fox19 crew about twenty minutes after the game. (by the way, I think those two Fox19 dudes do a tremendous job and really know & appreciate this sport). Q spoke about his progress in shooting and credited Kaiser Gates. He said he had been shooting AMAP ever since arriving on campus but that about a month ago on an off day, while in the gym shooting, KG had come up to him and said that he needed to shoot faster as if to simulate game speed intensity. Not just stroll around shooting relaxed. Q said ever since that day he has changed the way he works out and has seen these notable results & he credited KG!. Found that fascinating.
This kid is just scratching the surface. Also nice to see Scruggs and Q playing together more and developing productive chemistry together. Earlier in the season that combo was a train wreck....
Every season is a marathon. Every team evolves, ebbs & flows. X is an unfinished product but we are certainly flowing here lately more than ebbing. ;-)
I agree. B Lark has been a Q and Scruggs supporter and has mentioned that they shoot the three ball very well in practice and that before the end of the season we would see the results. As usual he was right. One thing I like about these guys is their willingness to take advice from men like Lak and teammates. This will be their team along with Gates next year and no time like the present to show they can be an impact.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 pm

SC in DC wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:38 am
Anti--I didn't mean Q was chopped liver--he wasn't I know--just that it seemed Simpson was X's first choice. And our 2nd choice turned out much better!
SC,

I know you didn’t but can see how my response insinuated that. I haven’t seen him play much, but enough to feel very confident we have the better pg. XS also shoots below 60% from the free throw line. Two guys who call ill afford to shoot poorly from the line are the pg and main low post scorer (see Kansas). It’s a great luxury to have no one on the team who sees significant minutes shooting under 70% from the line.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”