Talk XU Men's basketball here...
jps1943

Re: What's the late breaking news?

Postby jps1943 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:14 pm

he was famous for "kick any pig in the ass and get an uh out of him"
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:20 pm

MY take is simple. If they insist on fouling when the game has been decided, ram it down.
Old adage: "What's good for the goose is good for the gander"
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:59 pm

X-Expert wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:29 pm
tacitus wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 pm
X-Expert wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 am

I think you have to look at the context of the game. Again, using a football analogy; if you are ahead by 10 points with the ball on the opponents 10 yard line with 15 seconds to go, are you going to run a passing play to win by 17 or run out the clock. Its different if you gradually build up a lead but once the game is well at hand and less than 45 seconds, probably not necessary to shoot a step back 3. I don't mind the one dunk but with 3 seconds, probably not necessary-particularly when your head coach is yelling no shots. I just chalk it up to an unnecessary ending to a game that was over.
Bad analogy, because it is not possible to run out the clock by taking a knee in basketball. In football, once you start running out the clock atthe one down scenario, everyone knows it is over. Find me one example where with 10 seconds left with a 10 point deficit the defense is still actually playing defense in football. Never happens. They line up, but no one is going for a sack. In basketball you have to dribble across the time line and then wait for the clock to run all the way out. I would never accept running out the clock by giving the other team as many layups as they can physically make with the remaining time. If they are merely positioning themselves so that you don't jack up a three or drive for an easy bucket to close out the game, then, fine, dribble it out. But if they are making an effort to defend you and force a turnover, then pass the ball around, and, in that CSE, if someone finds themselves open under the basket, dunk it. Their fault.
All good-agree to disagree. In basketball, you are correct that you have to go across timeline. but look at the game and many blowouts like this, they usually get across timeline with little pressure and the team just dribbles out and in some cases, take a violation as mack was telling them to do. there was 40 seconds or so when he yelled no shots. He was comfortable taking a violation and letting St Johns have the possession. X went on to score 5 points from that point on. I have been at many X games this year and the past where X don't attack the basket with a large lead in final 30-45 seconds. As I said, agree to disagree and appreciate your point. BTW my analogy in terms of how to look at this is spot on-you don't attack the basket or the end zone in last 30 seconds when game is well at hand.
Again, find me an example of a defense in football still playing actual defense when the game is clearly over, and the offense just not responding in any way. You cannot. Because, with the exception of maybe some random high school or middle school game, the defense merely runs the motions to allow the clock to run down.

St John's was still going hard on defense and the palyers responded. Maybe they didn't hear Mack, or maybe they simply disregarded his instructions. Eitherway, I am sure Mack talked to them about it.

We jumped in the KenPom and BPI ratings as a result of running up the score a bit. So we also have an incentive to do so.
Let's March!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”