What's the late breaking news?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
kyzrex

Re: What's the late breaking news?

Postby kyzrex » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:59 pm

What’s the difference between him dunking the ball at the end of the shot clock and players purposely fouling in the last few seconds when down 3-4 possessions? The SJU players were trying to play defense, they hadn’t all just moved over to the sideline to stand and watch.

Learning how to lose with grace is just as important as learning how to win with dignity. SOM was not dunking and yelling of pounding his chest. Xavier was not trying to show up the SJU players. The SJU players needed to just shut their mouths and shake hands.
#WHYNOTX?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:20 pm

I don't think the last minute played out like CM preferred, but I don't blame the Johnnies for being upset. Our starters were in the game when up by 20+, and only a minute to play. If nothing else, why chance an injury? Then, Gates shoots a 3 and SOM beats the buzzer with the dunk. Yesterday, I saw the end of the OKL St game, and they were up by 13 with the ball and a minute to go. The coach had hi player dribble the ball out and take a shot violation. I would have preferred that.

However, if the Johnnie's player went to X's locker room, he should face some sort of suspension. Perhaps missing the 1st half of the NIT game? I credit C Mullin for not chasing down Sister Rose and yelling,"You want a piece of my 5'4" self you mo fo!?"
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Maybe Sean caught wind of the fact that professional scouts from Lithuania were in attendance.
xu koop scoop

Postby xu koop scoop » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:58 pm

Much ado about nothing. Mildly reminds me of 2 incidents. In the UC Brawl game some thought we should have pulled all & play as many walk ons as present in last minute plus of that game. The subs would not have cared about anything but playing & doubt any "brawl" would have occurred. Also, when we blew out undefeated St Joes in A10 Tourney in 04 we did indeed pull all except walk ons for last 2 minute and therefore nobody cared what happened on court. Mack has never had a tendency to play a bunch of walk ons at end of games & the "brawl" game & at end of today's games were reminders why you should give the "walk ons" some PT. Why were Scruggs & O'Mara in til the bitter end?
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:13 pm

Some of you guys always want to blame Mack, and who he chooses to play at the end of the games, for any problems that opposing players have with how a game goes. I don’t get it.

1st off, Scruggs and SOM are not starters, are they?

2ndly, why should the opposing players be concerned WHO they are playing against. Take care of your own stuff and don’t worry about if you are facing starters, backups, or walk-ons. They should be just concerned with playing their best, no matter who is in the court against them.

AND they should stop being concerned with if the other team is “disrespecting them” by playing hard all the way to the end. Play hard until the end. If they can’t handle it it’s THEIR problem...not Xavier’s. It’s up the THEIR coach to teach them how to handle it. It’s not up to the Xavier coaches to pull the starters, or up to the Xavier players to “take it easy” on them!

I was a college soccer player and wrestler. I was a HS coach for both sports. I always went hard for the whole game or the whole match. I coached my players to do the same. Sometimes I was on a team, or in a match, where we/I dominated the opposition, but sometimes we/I got our buts kicked. I NEVER got mad at the opposition for kicking MY butt.

I got mad at MYSELF for letting them kick my butt!

Totally classless by the SJU players involved.
#WHYNOTX?
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 pm

Some people forget that Xavier came from 19 down to beat Purdue in the last four minutes a few years ago. We were down 22 against ETSU. I think it was Northern Iowa that was up 10 or 11 with less than a minute in the NCAA a few years ago and lost. Skip never played his walk-ons until we were under a minute and up 20. We only have 10 scholarship players. Should we play the walk-ons and two managers? As said by someone else on the board, if St. John's quits pressing and they run out the clock, we will do the same.
Lose by 28 or lose by 23---still a loss. I am sure media will brought up when we play them next year.

I was at the St.John's game in NY this year. I heard the chants against Macura. They deserved it. As someone else said, this is not CYO; we don't want to hurt someone's self esteem is not college basketball's concern. Move on!
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Shucker wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:24 pm
X-Expert wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:56 pm
St Johns players tried to get in locker room. Mullin was asked if he thought X ran up the score and another question. He didn't answer the "running up the score" question. In hindsight, X didn't need a step back 3 and a dunk in the final 35 seconds with a 20 point lead but is what it is. Hopefully, no punishment on X side for fight. Sounds like St Johns was trying to get into X locker room so that's good.
First off if you saw what was on camera at the end of the game lets be clear this was not a fight!
There were a few heated exchanges and words exchanged and then the coaches were stepping in to keep the players separated and get them off the floor and to the locker room.
I do believe that this is spilled over emotions from the game!
This happens when people are driven and competitive!
Also yes I do believe you could hear on TV that Chris said no shots at the end of the game!
What are the players suppose to do when you get the ball thrown to you under the basket as the shot clock is expiring. Put the ball on the floor and go play defense? I don't think so this is D1 sports and do you think that St'Johns would not have tried to score a basket if they got the ball back with any time at all on the clock?
Understand your point so agree to disagree. I actually think Mack was telling them not to shoot with 38 seconds left which would have resulted in a turnover- which announcers also said. Yes if St. John’s would have gotten ball back they would have tried to score to reduce lead to 25 but doesn’t mean winning team shouldn’t try to score to lead by 27. Just an opinion. Young players will make mistakes and I believe there were mistakes on both ends.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:35 pm

Big East reviews all the cameras, completes the review ... issue over- no penalties or discipline to be imposed.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:08 pm

AHMED was wrong and is a hothead. I have watched about 5-6 St Johns games this year (not including X games) and every time he fouls out or they got beat badly or he was playing poorly he was mouthing off. He played a subpar game today so I am sure he was frustrated. He is a guy that wants to win but in this year of frustration displays some poor sportsmanship. I noted that as he refused to shake Gates hand Gates just walked away smiling like "Whatever man, it is hardly any skin off my back if you don't want to shake hand" There coach stepped in when he was trying to have words with Tre who told him what he could do with his opinions.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:10 am

If the talking heads have such a big problem with teams running up the score, then they should change the formulas for their predictive metrics, which very heavily weight margin of victory. We've beaten St John's twice in competitive games and got no benefit from it in the BPI or KenPom. We ran up the score in the final minutes against them last night and jumped from 15 to 10 in KenPom and will probably be in the top ten in BPI when they update.

We are playing for a 1 seed. The extent to which the selection committee will actually rely upon these metrics is unknown. But ESPN has been pushing for the BPI to be the gold standard for several years now, and they reference it in all their reports on teams, including their Bubble Watches and Bracketology. So it has some effect on subjective opinion and rankings.

O'Mara's final dunk with 2 seconds left was perhaps over the top, but St John's kept playing defense and attacking on offense. I do not think that us running down the clock should mean giving them a few freebies to close out the game. I think the losing team bears some of the responsibility, especially once the clock is close to one shot clock.
Let's March!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”