What's the late breaking news?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
tacitus

Re: What's the late breaking news?

Postby tacitus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:58 am

From 14 to 11 in BPI.

For measures that are supposed to be much more powerful than the RPI in terms of evaluating the overall quality of a team and predicting head-to-head match-ups, if is kind of crazy that one blowout of a mediocre team so late in the season can put you in "contender" territory.
Let's March!
skyking

Postby skyking » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:14 am

Apparently winning by 28 is running up the score but winning by 24 is not? I guess there is a sportsmanship limit of 25? Who knew?
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:18 am

tacitus wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:58 am
From 14 to 11 in BPI.

For measures that are supposed to be much more powerful than the RPI in terms of evaluating the overall quality of a team and predicting head-to-head match-ups, if is kind of crazy that one blowout of a mediocre team so late in the season can put you in "contender" territory.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... _/view/bpi
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 am

skyking wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:14 am
Apparently winning by 28 is running up the score but winning by 24 is not? I guess there is a sportsmanship limit of 25? Who knew?
I think you have to look at the context of the game. Again, using a football analogy; if you are ahead by 10 points with the ball on the opponents 10 yard line with 15 seconds to go, are you going to run a passing play to win by 17 or run out the clock. Its different if you gradually build up a lead but once the game is well at hand and less than 45 seconds, probably not necessary to shoot a step back 3. I don't mind the one dunk but with 3 seconds, probably not necessary-particularly when your head coach is yelling no shots. I just chalk it up to an unnecessary ending to a game that was over.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 am

Lead Guitar wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 pm
Some people forget that Xavier came from 19 down to beat Purdue in the last four minutes a few years ago. We were down 22 against ETSU. I think it was Northern Iowa that was up 10 or 11 with less than a minute in the NCAA a few years ago and lost. Skip never played his walk-ons until we were under a minute and up 20. We only have 10 scholarship players. Should we play the walk-ons and two managers? As said by someone else on the board, if St. John's quits pressing and they run out the clock, we will do the same.
Lose by 28 or lose by 23---still a loss. I am sure media will brought up when we play them next year.

I was at the St.John's game in NY this year. I heard the chants against Macura. They deserved it. As someone else said, this is not CYO; we don't want to hurt someone's self esteem is not college basketball's concern. Move on!
Understand your point and yes, play hard but in the last 45 seconds and a 23 point lead, it isn't necessary to take a step back 3 and a couple of meaningless dunks. Again, just saying exactly what mack was saying as he yelled "no shots"
True_Blue

Postby True_Blue » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 am

Perhaps we should move the Crosstown Shootout to a neutral site over this..
Why is it when Duke and North Carolina fight... it is a great rivalry... When XU "fights', we need to wear sackcloth for no less than 3 years.

This is being WAY overblown... The FS announcer even suggested he wished St John's had started a scuffle DURING THE GAME... to give them some fight.

Perhaps Sean O'Mara was tried of all the trash talk and cheap shots he took during the game and decided he would rub it in... I don't know... just saying.. sometimes rubbing it in is called for when the losing team won't you know....shut the hell up.

Perhaps St J was trying to spark a fight in hopes that XU team members would get tossed for the next game... They had nothing to lose.

Idiots on the Enquirer are saying this was all JP's fault... From what I can tell, he had nothing to do with it.
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:37 am

True_Blue wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 am
Idiots on the Enquirer are saying this was all JP's fault... From what I can tell, he had nothing to do with it.
Inflammatory, and completely irrelevant, photo attached to article at https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 409366002/ gives credence to the term “yellow journalism"
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 pm

X-Expert wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 am
skyking wrote:
I think you have to look at the context of the game. Again, using a football analogy; if you are ahead by 10 points with the ball on the opponents 10 yard line with 15 seconds to go, are you going to run a passing play to win by 17 or run out the clock. Its different if you gradually build up a lead but once the game is well at hand and less than 45 seconds, probably not necessary to shoot a step back 3. I don't mind the one dunk but with 3 seconds, probably not necessary-particularly when your head coach is yelling no shots. I just chalk it up to an unnecessary ending to a game that was over.
Bad analogy, because it is not possible to run out the clock by taking a knee in basketball. In football, once you start running out the clock atthe one down scenario, everyone knows it is over. Find me one example where with 10 seconds left with a 10 point deficit the defense is still actually playing defense in football. Never happens. They line up, but no one is going for a sack. In basketball you have to dribble across the time line and then wait for the clock to run all the way out. I would never accept running out the clock by giving the other team as many layups as they can physically make with the remaining time. If they are merely positioning themselves so that you don't jack up a three or drive for an easy bucket to close out the game, then, fine, dribble it out. But if they are making an effort to defend you and force a turnover, then pass the ball around, and, in that CSE, if someone finds themselves open under the basket, dunk it. Their fault.
Let's March!
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:29 pm

tacitus wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 pm
X-Expert wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 am
skyking wrote:
Bad analogy, because it is not possible to run out the clock by taking a knee in basketball. In football, once you start running out the clock atthe one down scenario, everyone knows it is over. Find me one example where with 10 seconds left with a 10 point deficit the defense is still actually playing defense in football. Never happens. They line up, but no one is going for a sack. In basketball you have to dribble across the time line and then wait for the clock to run all the way out. I would never accept running out the clock by giving the other team as many layups as they can physically make with the remaining time. If they are merely positioning themselves so that you don't jack up a three or drive for an easy bucket to close out the game, then, fine, dribble it out. But if they are making an effort to defend you and force a turnover, then pass the ball around, and, in that CSE, if someone finds themselves open under the basket, dunk it. Their fault.
All good-agree to disagree. In basketball, you are correct that you have to go across timeline. but look at the game and many blowouts like this, they usually get across timeline with little pressure and the team just dribbles out and in some cases, take a violation as mack was telling them to do. there was 40 seconds or so when he yelled no shots. He was comfortable taking a violation and letting St Johns have the possession. X went on to score 5 points from that point on. I have been at many X games this year and the past where X don't attack the basket with a large lead in final 30-45 seconds. As I said, agree to disagree and appreciate your point. BTW my analogy in terms of how to look at this is spot on-you don't attack the basket or the end zone in last 30 seconds when game is well at hand.
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Was it Father McPartlin who taught Logic in the '60s? I'm sure he would be spinning in his grave if he read some of the stuff on this thread.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”