It's actually a potential blessing...

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Go Go Golston
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:35 am
Contact:

It's actually a potential blessing...

Postby Go Go Golston » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:11 pm

...in disguise.
I have never been comfortable this year (a weird year) in being a number one seed. Hear me out. If you've looked at brackets and games in general, you'll see that there are going to be some nightmarish 8's and 9's. Missouri, VT, Kentucky, Houston etc...Xavier would be the new kid on the block with a #1. If I'm, say Virginia Tech, there is no mystique about playing Xavier. Xavier will be second guessed all week by a thousand talking heads. The players, as much as the coaching staff will try to muffle it out, will hear it. Muskies have always done better in this tournament sneaking up on people. Let's take a 2, and take our chances against the 7-10 winner; move on from there. If they get a 1 and stumble, it will be talked about the rest of the tournament.
Ah! But you say if "not a 1 now then when?" Good point. Maybe never or when we can confidently beat another team that usually sits on that 1 line.
To me this is not a defining year for Xavier basketball, just part of the journey to REALLY become a national power.
Everybody relax.
X-Expert
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm
Contact:

Re: It's actually a potential blessing...

Postby X-Expert » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:15 pm

Duke is losing and if they lose, X will still be a 1. I want them to be a 1. If they lose to an 8, shame on them. Nova lost to Wisconsin as an 8. Having said that, X's best seeds in tourney have been 2 and 3 and in those years, didn't get past first weekend. Lost once to Maryland and Wisconsin. However, still would like to get a 1.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 22244
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: It's actually a potential blessing...

Postby muskieman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:52 pm

Duke goes down
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
kyzrex
Posts: 1535
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:35 am
Contact:

Re: It's actually a potential blessing...

Postby kyzrex » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:30 am

Was thinking the same thing.....potentially a blessing in disguise. Although I think that they may well still remain a 1 seed, it does give them an extra day off and 1 less game to play before the REAL tournament begins. Yes I am very disappointed in just how they played during the 2nd half. But if they do what they are capable of doing in the NCAA tourney, that will be completely forgotten very very quickly. A loss here also provides extra incentive (if any is needed) for the seniors to NOT lose again. Sometimes the fear of losing is a greater motivation than the wanting to win. I believe that they all have the feeling that they should have won that game and that the loss was because of an off night shooting. However, I don’t think that the loss will effect their confidence, only their resolve. A win there and a loss to ‘Nova in the finals (for a 3rd time this year) would certainly play on their confidence. NOW they have the opportunity to forget about the regular season and the BE and to concentrate on only 1 thing.....getting to the Final 4!

GO X!
#WHYNOTX?
True_Blue
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:26 pm
Contact:

Re: It's actually a potential blessing...

Postby True_Blue » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 am

My biggest concern about being a #1 seed all along was going out west as a #1.

Lunardi says that is where we are now.

However, if I am doing this correctly, if we were the highest #2 seed, we would STILL go out West. (Lowest #1 paired with Highest # 2).
For this year at least, it seems the lowest #1 seed goes out west since there are no West Coast potential #1 like last year's Gonzaga..

California here we come I guess!
Alpalpa
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:51 am
Contact:

Re: It's actually a potential blessing...

Postby Alpalpa » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:07 am

I would rather see them lose a nail-biter in overtime to a decent team (which might refocus that senior career immediacy) than get clobbered again by Nova, which might head them into the tourney with a lack of confidence. I'm ok with it.
mumuskie87
Posts: 11456
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: It's actually a potential blessing...

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:06 am

True_Blue wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 am
My biggest concern about being a #1 seed all along was going out west as a #1.

Lunardi says that is where we are now.

However, if I am doing this correctly, if we were the highest #2 seed, we would STILL go out West. (Lowest #1 paired with Highest # 2).
For this year at least, it seems the lowest #1 seed goes out west since there are no West Coast potential #1 like last year's Gonzaga..

California here we come I guess!
Duke going down may keep X as a 1 seed but most likely going out West either as the lowest #1 or highest #2.
But per Lunardi playing in Detroit in the 1st/2nd round which ain't bad.
If Huggy Bear beats Kansas, X could possibly jump to the Midwest but I doubt it happens even if WVU wins.
Lunardi has UC as the lowest 2 seed - in the South with UVA.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
X-lucidity
Posts: 850
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: It's actually a potential blessing...

Postby X-lucidity » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:31 am

The atmosphere at MSG was dripping with "David vs Goliath". X had been so far up that our collective persona was one of ass-clenching down the stretch. Our fan base was soft and meek while the Providence faithful were roaring with every bucket once they got it under 10. Then the Nova & Butler fans joined in and it was like a home gm for the Friars. Not an excuse, actually made it more discouraging that our seniors made so many blunders down the stretch. JP, I am sure you have been taught since 3rd grade how to run a 2 on 1. You don't go down the middle. Had he just taken one more step towards the right as he passed the arc the defender would have had to commit one way or the other. Bluiett, why a contested layup with 12 seconds left up two? Dribble back out, get fouled and seal the freaking gm, he had been robotically good from the charity stripe both games. Problem was on the offensive end last eve, which was concerning. Many have expressed reasons this loss could be beneficial in the long run and I do not necessarily disagree. However, we must be able to execute better offensively down the stretch under pressure. It's UVA and Nova as the clear front-runners. Not really much difference between the next 6 to 7 teams in which our beloved Muskies are one.
Time for talk and excuses is over, take a deep breath - then survive & advance or fall short...
Anti-Homer
Posts: 4904
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: It's actually a potential blessing...

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:56 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:06 am
True_Blue wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 am
My biggest concern about being a #1 seed all along was going out west as a #1.

Lunardi says that is where we are now.

However, if I am doing this correctly, if we were the highest #2 seed, we would STILL go out West. (Lowest #1 paired with Highest # 2).
For this year at least, it seems the lowest #1 seed goes out west since there are no West Coast potential #1 like last year's Gonzaga..

California here we come I guess!
Duke going down may keep X as a 1 seed but most likely going out West either as the lowest #1 or highest #2.
But per Lunardi playing in Detroit in the 1st/2nd round which ain't bad.
If Huggy Bear beats Kansas, X could possibly jump to the Midwest but I doubt it happens even if WVU wins.
Lunardi has UC as the lowest 2 seed - in the South with UVA.
I understand Alpalpa’s sentiment, though it’s a pretty sad commentary about our performance against Nova since joining the league. X has clearly been the 2nd best team overall during its 5 year tenure, but has performed probably the 2nd worst (after Depaul), when you consider both the record and lack of competitiveness in the great majority of games, against the flagship program. The performance in the conference tourneys has been substandard as well. However, X is going to be in the same position as the last one/highest 2 seed (4th and 5th overall slots are indistinguishable, as the locale will be the same), so despite yesterday’s epic meltdown, are entering the tourney in their best position ever. X is also the only team in the city to win a major conference title this year, and just had the best regular season in its history, while having a top 20 program overall in the last 15 years.

They also have the talent to go to the FF and beyond, according to a lot of national pundits. It’s where we’ve wanted the program to be all along; to be a team capable of competing for the FF. Only a handful of blue bloods have a right to that expectation annually, though the majority of time, they don’t. CM and his predecessors, especially the last two, are most responsible, though it couldn’t have been done without the likes of Fogelson, Gillen, and others, who kept maintaining a program who has been in the top 20 over the last 15 years, in terms of consistency, and NCAA performance. The only negative is that X is now going out west, in games where X will be the prohibitive favorite. Hopefully, the Negative Nates on this board will take that into consideration.

I think UNLV East can maybe move to the 7th slot instead of 8th if they win the championship because they have the worst resume by far of top 10 teams. They’re damn good, however. Conversely, a loss could tumble them to the 10th slot, depending on how teams like WVU, Tenn, & Az do. They should also root for Houston because a loss to WSU in the conference championship could challenge their position as well. X4Life, I hope your ankles have healed by now. AH will hang a rope ladder on the back of the bandwagon for you my friend.

Faithfully submitted by AH this 10th day of our Lord, 2018.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 22244
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: It's actually a potential blessing...

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:56 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:06 am
True_Blue wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 am
My biggest concern about being a #1 seed all along was going out west as a #1.

Lunardi says that is where we are now.

However, if I am doing this correctly, if we were the highest #2 seed, we would STILL go out West. (Lowest #1 paired with Highest # 2).
For this year at least, it seems the lowest #1 seed goes out west since there are no West Coast potential #1 like last year's Gonzaga..

California here we come I guess!
Duke going down may keep X as a 1 seed but most likely going out West either as the lowest #1 or highest #2.
But per Lunardi playing in Detroit in the 1st/2nd round which ain't bad.
If Huggy Bear beats Kansas, X could possibly jump to the Midwest but I doubt it happens even if WVU wins.
Lunardi has UC as the lowest 2 seed - in the South with UVA.
that game may end up in single digits
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests