It's actually a potential blessing...

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X4LIFE

Re: It's actually a potential blessing...

Postby X4LIFE » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Ankles are still sore but, will heal in time. Slowly getting over the way X lost. The loss itself is not so bad but, it’s people texting and posting on Facebook to rub the loss in my face that was burning my insides last night. So, I will typically post here instead of blowing up at them.lol! Like I said my apologies to everyone.
But about the game. I didn’t hear but my dad did. When in the huddle in the second half he said you could hear Mack telling the team they had no fire and a glazed over look in their eyes. So maybe the emotion of winning the regular season and celebrating not once (after Providence win on senior night) but twice (after DePaul) they were just ready for this portion of the season to be over and move on to more lofty goals. I’m hanging my hat on that.
After 34 years of being a fan this could be the best chance for X to reach the FF. So, from here on out I will remain positive and cheer X on. I hope you kept that seat warm because I am back on the bandwagon. Thanks for having my back AH. It is greatly appreciated my friend!
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:20 am

X-Expert wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:15 pm
Duke is losing and if they lose, X will still be a 1. I want them to be a 1. If they lose to an 8, shame on them. Nova lost to Wisconsin as an 8. Having said that, X's best seeds in tourney have been 2 and 3 and in those years, didn't get past first weekend. Lost once to Maryland and Wisconsin. However, still would like to get a 1.
3 seed in 2008 and went to Elite 8 I believe
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Go Go Golston wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:11 pm
...in disguise.
I have never been comfortable this year (a weird year) in being a number one seed. Hear me out. If you've looked at brackets and games in general, you'll see that there are going to be some nightmarish 8's and 9's. Missouri, VT, Kentucky, Houston etc...Xavier would be the new kid on the block with a #1. If I'm, say Virginia Tech, there is no mystique about playing Xavier. Xavier will be second guessed all week by a thousand talking heads. The players, as much as the coaching staff will try to muffle it out, will hear it. Muskies have always done better in this tournament sneaking up on people. Let's take a 2, and take our chances against the 7-10 winner; move on from there. If they get a 1 and stumble, it will be talked about the rest of the tournament.
Ah! But you say if "not a 1 now then when?" Good point. Maybe never or when we can confidently beat another team that usually sits on that 1 line.
To me this is not a defining year for Xavier basketball, just part of the journey to REALLY become a national power.
Everybody relax.
The 1 seed has been much more successful against the 8/9 seeds vs. the 2 vs. 7/10.
All time record for 1 vs an 8/9 is 114-18 or 86%
Meanwhile the 2 vs. the 7/10 seed is 83-41 or 67%.
I'll take the 1 seed every time vs a 2.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:34 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:11 pm
Go Go Golston wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:11 pm
...in disguise.
I have never been comfortable this year (a weird year) in being a number one seed. Hear me out. If you've looked at brackets and games in general, you'll see that there are going to be some nightmarish 8's and 9's. Missouri, VT, Kentucky, Houston etc...Xavier would be the new kid on the block with a #1. If I'm, say Virginia Tech, there is no mystique about playing Xavier. Xavier will be second guessed all week by a thousand talking heads. The players, as much as the coaching staff will try to muffle it out, will hear it. Muskies have always done better in this tournament sneaking up on people. Let's take a 2, and take our chances against the 7-10 winner; move on from there. If they get a 1 and stumble, it will be talked about the rest of the tournament.
Ah! But you say if "not a 1 now then when?" Good point. Maybe never or when we can confidently beat another team that usually sits on that 1 line.
To me this is not a defining year for Xavier basketball, just part of the journey to REALLY become a national power.
Everybody relax.
The 1 seed has been much more successful against the 8/9 seeds vs. the 2 vs. 7/10.
All time record for 1 vs an 8/9 is 114-18 or 86%
Meanwhile the 2 vs. the 7/10 seed is 83-41 or 67%.
I'll take the 1 seed every time vs a 2.
Bingo. That myth of being a 2 seed vs one is preferrable has been shattered.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:40 pm

And X is a ... #1 Seed.

Pundits say X has the "2nd Toughest Bracket," which is the same as saying they have the #3 overall seed.

Plus, Virginia gets Cincinnati and Arizona in its bracket. Let's be honest, none of us wanted to see either of those teams in our bracket Region.

Let's Go X!
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:05 pm

ChitownSteve wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:40 pm
And X is a ... #1 Seed.

Pundits say X has the "2nd Toughest Bracket," which is the same as saying they have the #3 overall seed.

Plus, Virginia gets Cincinnati and Arizona in its bracket. Let's be honest, none of us wanted to see either of those teams in our bracket Region.

Let's Go X!
Chitown,

I'd rather face UC as a 2 seed, than the Zags as a 4th. That is not just an easy shot towards UC, because I have to admit MC overachieved this year for a change, and they are elite defensively. However, there are holes in their defense which X exploited. Also, they're limited offensively. The Zags have a frontline of future NBA players and one who is ultra-athletic(Hichamura?). They also have a trio of 3 very good guards. The only thing they lack is the depth they've had in the past. I expect the Zags to be in more than a few FF brackets.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we move past the Zags. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:05 pm
ChitownSteve wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:40 pm
And X is a ... #1 Seed.

Let's Go X!
Chitown,

I'd rather face UC as a 2 seed, than the Zags as a 4th. That is not just an easy shot towards UC, because I have to admit MC overachieved this year for a change, and they are elite defensively. However, there are holes in their defense which X exploited. Also, they're limited offensively. The Zags have a frontline of future NBA players and one who is ultra-athletic(Hichamura?). They also have a trio of 3 very good guards. The only thing they lack is the depth they've had in the past. I expect the Zags to be in more than a few FF brackets.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we move past the Zags. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.
AH:

Not discounting your points or the quality of Gonzaga.

Just looking at it in the worst case scenario. If X were to destined to UC, Arizona or Gonzaga, which is your choice?

In 2021, 2022, etc. a loss to Gonzaga is forgotten, whereas a loss to the other two will sting forever. Beating Arizona last year can never be taken away and certainly pains Coach Miller, as he is driving along in his Lexus, to this very moment.

Another team will shut down Mick, without our blood pressure spiking.

Let's win Friday night. Go X!
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 am

X-lucidity wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:31 am
The atmosphere at MSG was dripping with "David vs Goliath". X had been so far up that our collective persona was one of ass-clenching down the stretch. Our fan base was soft and meek while the Providence faithful were roaring with every bucket once they got it under 10. Then the Nova & Butler fans joined in and it was like a home gm for the Friars. Not an excuse, actually made it more discouraging that our seniors made so many blunders down the stretch. JP, I am sure you have been taught since 3rd grade how to run a 2 on 1. You don't go down the middle. Had he just taken one more step towards the right as he passed the arc the defender would have had to commit one way or the other. Bluiett, why a contested layup with 12 seconds left up two? Dribble back out, get fouled and seal the freaking gm, he had been robotically good from the charity stripe both games. Problem was on the offensive end last eve, which was concerning. Many have expressed reasons this loss could be beneficial in the long run and I do not necessarily disagree. However, we must be able to execute better offensively down the stretch under pressure. It's UVA and Nova as the clear front-runners. Not really much difference between the next 6 to 7 teams in which our beloved Muskies are one.
Time for talk and excuses is over, take a deep breath - then survive & advance or fall short...
the layup wasn't contested. it was wide open. he makes that 999/1000 times. just make it and game over.

the JP play, well, i can't explain. just jump stop and pass or jump stop and pull up, or euro-step to your left around him for a layup. anything but a charge.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:16 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 am
X-lucidity wrote:
The atmosphere at MSG was dripping with "David vs Goliath". X had been so far up that our collective persona was one of ass-clenching down the stretch. Our fan base was soft and meek while the Providence faithful were roaring with every bucket once they got it under 10. Then the Nova & Butler fans joined in and it was like a home gm for the Friars. Not an excuse, actually made it more discouraging that our seniors made so many blunders down the stretch. JP, I am sure you have been taught since 3rd grade how to run a 2 on 1. You don't go down the middle. Had he just taken one more step towards the right as he passed the arc the defender would have had to commit one way or the other. Bluiett, why a contested layup with 12 seconds left up two? Dribble back out, get fouled and seal the freaking gm, he had been robotically good from the charity stripe both games. Problem was on the offensive end last eve, which was concerning. Many have expressed reasons this loss could be beneficial in the long run and I do not necessarily disagree. However, we must be able to execute better offensively down the stretch under pressure. It's UVA and Nova as the clear front-runners. Not really much difference between the next 6 to 7 teams in which our beloved Muskies are one.
Time for talk and excuses is over, take a deep breath - then survive & advance or fall short...
the layup wasn't contested. it was wide open. he makes that 999/1000 times. just make it and game over.

the JP play, well, i can't explain. just jump stop and pass or jump stop and pull up, or euro-step to your left around him for a layup. anything but a charge.
Game is over, and I hate blaming refs, but I don't think the player was completely set when JP was airborne. Also, if Goodin passed it to Kantner a second earlier, the game would have been tied. Again, can't do anything about it now.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:26 am

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 am
X-lucidity wrote:

Well I guess the good news is that Tre should be good for the next 999 layups.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”