Jay Bilas is an a-hole

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Jay Bilas is an a-hole

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:13 pm

jct1941 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:41 pm
AH - My point is - yes we COULD have lost to all the teams you mentioned BUT WE DIDN'T. Consider that Duke lost to St. Johns, NC lost to Wofford and so I think that ONLY lost to three teams who are considered very good teams and we finished 28 and 5. NC lost 10 games. The committee looked at all the teams and XU came as a number one seed. That doesn't seem to be to your satisfaction. Personally, I think they earned it and deserved it. Go Xavier!
When did I say X doesn't deserve a number one seed? I've said they did in several threads. I just opined they are the weakest one seed, but can beat any team on any given night, and unlike any other year, don't believe a win over anybody with exception of Nova would be greater than a very mild upset.

Feel free to cherry pick one game, and perhaps one of the reasons the two elite teams mentioned received a 2 seed was because of the bad loss. Both also have considerably more Quad one wins than X, but I still contend X deserved the seed, though many others would disagree. I think their counter-argument would be equally valid.

Despite the conspiracy theories populating this board because we're not on every one's FF list, it must be very well coordinated, because many competing sports analysts on different networks, including some of our beloved ones from FoxSports have picked the Zags. I'd be a little more outraged if it was RI or Penn, but this is the same team who blitzed us last year, and arguably has a better top 7 this year. We do share one thing in common with the Zags. We both were run off the court against Nova.
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:48 pm

More than once--including in years when Xavier eventually reached the Sweet 16 or Elite Eight--Bilas was on record as saying they didn't deserve to be in the tournament.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:13 am

Earlier in the year, NC lost three in a row, I believe, and the critics were saying they could not defend the 3. I believe that the three teams were all hitting over 45% from three. All of the announcers were down on NC. They have the potential to beat anyone, including X as do most of the top 20. We, in turn, are very similar. We can beat any and lose to many.

This defensive concern about X is the same with NC and most. If the other team is hitting 3's, it is not always the defense. If they are not, it is not always the defense. Both X and NC play fast-paced, many possession games, which leads to more opportunities to score and more 3 on 2 or 4 on 3's with long scattered rebounds. It is a different game and more exciting. We like it over the Virginia or UC game. Some of this defensive criticism is over-rated.
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:58 am

Lead Guitar wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:13 am
Earlier in the year, NC lost three in a row, I believe, and the critics were saying they could not defend the 3. I believe that the three teams were all hitting over 45% from three. All of the announcers were down on NC. They have the potential to beat anyone, including X as do most of the top 20. We, in turn, are very similar. We can beat any and lose to many.

This defensive concern about X is the same with NC and most. If the other team is hitting 3's, it is not always the defense. If they are not, it is not always the defense. Both X and NC play fast-paced, many possession games, which leads to more opportunities to score and more 3 on 2 or 4 on 3's with long scattered rebounds. It is a different game and more exciting. We like it over the Virginia or UC game. Some of this defensive criticism is over-rated.
Thanks.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:00 pm

North Carolina is the defending national champion, and a 7 time national champion. Whether or not folks like it(and i dislike north carolina immensely), that matters. If the new Big East starts sending multiple teams to final fours and elite 8's, then it will also likely get the benefit of that argument. However, so far that has not been the case. It's very similar with tv ratings, look at the conference championship numbers. Whether good or bad, respect is not measured in one metric on the court.
tirebyter

Postby tirebyter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:28 pm

I don't believe Xavier will play NC. I picked Providence or Michigan, so X has to take care of the Zags, and we will miss NC.
Nova was knocked out early the year following so anything COULD happen. San Diego State is really balling now with 9 consecutive wins and are firing in all cylinders. They COULD be the Cinderella to meet X,then if Jay Bilas or any one else doesnt pick X then ICOULDgo apesh*t. ;) :)
"There is no reason to doubt these Musketeers. Ever." Eamonn Brennan
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Being out West the Zags will be close to home which cannot be underestimated in their march to the final four. X wins if they play team ball communicating on D and sharing the ball on O. I want high assist stats and low turn overs and transition points and let's add high rebound totals for our guys. I could care less what pundits say because their opinions have never won a basketball game. What I want to hear is the announcer, after the NC game, say and the trophy goes to the Musketeers of Xavier
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:32 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:55 pm
Being out West the Zags will be close to home which cannot be underestimated in their march to the final four. X wins if they play team ball communicating on D and sharing the ball on O. I want high assist stats and low turn overs and transition points and let's add high rebound totals for our guys. I could care less what pundits say because their opinions have never won a basketball game. What I want to hear is the announcer, after the NC game, say and the trophy goes to the Musketeers of Xavier
Would it make you feel better to know that the distance from Spike to Los Angeles is 1,200 miles?
finalfourorbust

Postby finalfourorbust » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Go Go Golston wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:45 pm
Come on. Be honest. We are not a defensive juggernaut. People who post that "we have to tighten up defensively" are deluded. At this point we is who we is.
There ARE several teams that could beat Xavier. If we get the wrong matchup re: speed, ability to make the 3 and make Xavier turn the ball over we are toast. And if our guards shoot 25% from the field. Again, we are toast.
But, that being said, there are several teams in the field that can be beat by several teams.
It's all about match ups. A cliche that cannot be stressed enough.
There are several teams that can beat any team in the field as evidenced by their records.
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Pierre Dracot wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:32 pm
muskieman wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:55 pm
Would it make you feel better to know that the distance from Spike to Los Angeles is 1,200 miles?
Correction: The distance from Spokane to Los Angeles is 1,250 miles.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”