Jay Bilas is an a-hole

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
26+6=1

Re: Jay Bilas is an a-hole

Postby 26+6=1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Always god advice: KEEP IT ON THE COURT!

26+6=1
titansbaseball01

Postby titansbaseball01 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 pm

Xavier is a flawed team. They are not as good as many other teams that have been 1 seeds in the past and they may not be as talented as teams such as Duke and NC this year. BUT this team earned the one-seed. Every other team that was in the running for a one-seed lost a game or games they needed to win in order to earn the one-seed. Xavier went the entire year without a bad loss, something Duke and NC cannot say. They won big road games and big home games. We were tested countlessly throughout the season and outside of the providence game, we never let teams beat us when we were the better team that night (I believe Nova, ASU, and providence @ providence were the better team on that given night).

So Bilas and whoever else can say that NC or whoever else is better than us, and they may end up being by the end of the year, but X earned their one-seed and should be given respect as they have a legitimate chance of making a deep run this march.

We will see what happens.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:45 pm

titansbaseball01 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 pm
Xavier is a flawed team. They are not as good as many other teams that have been 1 seeds in the past and they may not be as talented as teams such as Duke and NC this year. BUT this team earned the one-seed. Every other team that was in the running for a one-seed lost a game or games they needed to win in order to earn the one-seed. Xavier went the entire year without a bad loss, something Duke and NC cannot say. They won big road games and big home games. We were tested countlessly throughout the season and outside of the providence game, we never let teams beat us when we were the better team that night (I believe Nova, ASU, and providence @ providence were the better team on that given night).

So Bilas and whoever else can say that NC or whoever else is better than us, and they may end up being by the end of the year, but X earned their one-seed and should be given respect as they have a legitimate chance of making a deep run this march.

We will see what happens.
Hopefully X can be the "Eagles" to UNC's "Patriots" if the two meet in the tournament. ;)
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Let's see, the guy has spent his entire career either playing or analyzing college basketball. He's not entitled to an opinion? His credentials are clearly more than 99.99% of chat board participants. That's what he's paid to do. Not everyone has the same view.
N67ER

Postby N67ER » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:57 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:01 pm
I'm certainly not a Jay Bilas fan.
And I very much dislike UNC and Roy Williams.
I feel like the NCAA should have put the hammer down on their decades long academic transgressions.
However, they have gone to back to back championship games the past 2 years.
They have 3 seniors - Berry, Pinson and Johnson - and 2 juniors - Maye and Williams.
As a program, they have earned their reputation with performance on the court.
yes, X is a 1 seed but have to back it up on the court.
We don't have a history of going to Final Fours but hour is at hand to make that happen.
The team needs to let their play do the talking.
Could not agree more with '87. Only thing that matters now is winning the games we get to play. Of course we could lose to NC - but this year, we could also beat them.
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:35 pm

basically XU lost to THREE teams (as Titan pointed out) and won every other game. The game against Providence we missed so many point blank shots that it was not even funny. If Tre makes that lay up in the last seconds we would have up four and they would have to foul- game over. Now, I'm not blaming Tre for the lost because he pulled out soooo many games for us. Go Xavier!
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:59 pm

finalfourorbust wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:03 pm
Pierre Dracot wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:31 pm
He said that North Carolina is one of "several" teams that could beat Xavier. He's an elitist who has always had a special animus toward Xavier.
What is wrong about that statement?
This. X has by far the weakest resume based on the number of Quad One wins, of all the one seeds. I've said since day one X can beat any team in the country (with the possible exception of Nova), but they have probably also have the worst defense of any of the high seeds. It's how you blow 17 point 2nd half leads, and give up 60+ point 2nd halves.

I think Jay Bilas and Seth Davis are two of the best analysts in the game, and don't believe their opinion is biased in any way. Bilas also said qualified his statement by saying going deep into the tourney is in X's DNA. I also don't think it helps that the Zags have waxed us the last 2-3 times we played. If it makes anyone feel better, blowhard Charles Barkley picked X to go to the FF, and I think Jerry Palm to the E8. I'm curious: Why is no one complaining that most of the pundits also picked Michigan to beat the higher seed in NC? X earned the one seed, as well as the scrutiny. We are the weakest one seed, which is no shame at all, and ironically, UC is the weakest two.

As I said previously, I don't think X gets past the Zags, unless they do an about face and commit to playing well defensively. I think after the first game, X is going to have to score north of 75-80 to win the rest of the games, unless we progress and meet VA in the FF.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:03 pm

jct1941 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:35 pm
basically XU lost to THREE teams (as Titan pointed out) and won every other game. The game against Providence we missed so many point blank shots that it was not even funny. If Tre makes that lay up in the last seconds we would have up four and they would have to foul- game over. Now, I'm not blaming Tre for the lost because he pulled out soooo many games for us. Go Xavier!
What's your point? We could have easily lost to E Tenn St, Depaul twice, and the Johnnies twice as well. We didn't to X's credit, but implying that it was a fluke losing to Providence is unfounded. We earned that loss with bad defense and shooting long jumpers early in the shot clock. Poor execution, a lack of discipline, and low IQ bball were how the loss was earned.
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Many times in the past, Bilas' position vis a vis Xavier being in the tournament (including seasons when they reached the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight) was that they didn't deserve to be selected. If you're not aware of this, you haven't paid attention.
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:41 pm

AH - My point is - yes we COULD have lost to all the teams you mentioned BUT WE DIDN'T. Consider that Duke lost to St. Johns, NC lost to Wofford and so I think that ONLY lost to three teams who are considered very good teams and we finished 28 and 5. NC lost 10 games. The committee looked at all the teams and XU came as a number one seed. That doesn't seem to be to your satisfaction. Personally, I think they earned it and deserved it. Go Xavier!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”