Re: Interesting article out of Louisville

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:13 pm

MuskyDore wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:28 pm
X-Expert wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:22 pm
MuskyDore wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:16 pm
But doesn't that therefore mean UK, UNC, UCLA are all not blue Blood?

And I disagree with putting them anywhere below 7th. Guy could argue Indiana above them, but no way Syracuse, MSU, Arizona, UConn, Ohio State, Villanova or anyone else is above Louisville. No way to slice it .

And that's a compliment to what we've accomplished and where Coach Mack is perceived to belong.
good point on other schools. NCAA just continues to prove they are a money game. It really depends on how you define blue bloods or great programs. All these schools have been successful in competition but how they got there has been "dirty". I would say Louisville is the worse of all these. Not just Pitino but Crum violated recruiting rules several times leading to probation. It wasn't as widespread back then so he had a significant advantage by cheating. In todays world, his indiscretions may have had those games vacated too. I do think Mack will run a clean program which is something that Louisville hasn't seen in many years. I personally like Louisville but hard to look at them as some great program considering how they got there.
You can't honestly believe Louisville (Crum + Pitino) is worse than UK? Rupp, Sutton, Calipari are the dirtiest of the dirty. That's getting there the wrong way.

Pitino is being slandered, in my opinion. Read the article out today - Chicago Tribune and WaPo - Really interesting stuff
Oh Lord,

Pitino is being slandered? Are you defending the same guy who gave 7 seconds of heaven to his good buddy, L-Ville's trainer's wife, then lied and said the $3k paid after the fact was for healthcare, and not for an abortion?

Is this the same guy who played Huggy Bear for years on campus with recruits and prostitutes?

The same guy who coincidentally spoke with the Adidas rep who was trying to lure Bowen to L-Ville 4 times on the exact day of signing?

I'm sure somewhere out there are articles defending Barry Bonds, Lance Armstrong, and Jerry Tark, before they were caught too. Pitino ran in the rain one time too many and finally got wet. Kudos for evading capture for as long as he did.

BTW, Jurich makes that attorney who defended John Gotti look like Atticus Finch.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:24 pm

muskieman wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:35 pm
MuskyDore wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:28 pm
X-Expert wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:22 pm

good point on other schools. NCAA just continues to prove they are a money game. It really depends on how you define blue bloods or great programs. All these schools have been successful in competition but how they got there has been "dirty". I would say Louisville is the worse of all these. Not just Pitino but Crum violated recruiting rules several times leading to probation. It wasn't as widespread back then so he had a significant advantage by cheating. In todays world, his indiscretions may have had those games vacated too. I do think Mack will run a clean program which is something that Louisville hasn't seen in many years. I personally like Louisville but hard to look at them as some great program considering how they got there.
You can't honestly believe Louisville (Crum + Pitino) is worse than UK? Rupp, Sutton, Calipari are the dirtiest of the dirty. That's getting there the wrong way.

Pitino is being slandered, in my opinion. Read the article out today - Chicago Tribune and WaPo - Really interesting stuff
yea, everybody believes that! Rick always played the edge and most the time he was on the wrong side of that edge. Louisville program is about as clean as AH's underwear
Wrong Mman.

My boys swing wild and free, without constraint.
MuskyDore

Postby MuskyDore » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:39 pm

I'm not Louisville fan. I'm just a college basketball junky. And I can see the program for what it is, as opposed to seeing it through bitter glasses as they steal yet another up and coming coach from X.

I joined this message board recently because, yes, I am biased in that I went to high school with Ricks son, Chris. I know the family well and despite the national news and obvious flaws, I also know Rick personally and know him as a good man and someone who truly coaches because he lovesthe kids. I respected him for always targeting the 25-75 ranked kids and developing them into NBA players rather than hand picking the ready made kids like K and Calipari. Donovan Mitchell, Francisco Garcia, Terry Rozier, Terrance Williams, Earl Clark. Those types of kids.

I love xavier. It's my alma mater. So is vandy (hence my hatred for UK). But I'm not jumping on the media band wagon against Louisville and Pitino for things that he and the players had no control over.
MuskyDore

Postby MuskyDore » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:59 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:02 pm
MuskyDore wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:18 pm
Pierre Dracot wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:12 am
It's hard to imagine Mack leaving a top-10 program for Louisville or Connecticut or Pittsburgh, the first two of which are in line to receive the death penalty from the NCAA, and the third being legally dead.
There is a difference between Top-10 Team (Xavier in 2017-2018) and Top-10 Program (Louisville)...

Louisville is a top-10 Program. Their history (even if you vacate the 2012 and 2013 seasons), their fanbase, their resources, their recuiting prowess... unforuntately we at Xavier don't come close to the Louisivlle's of the basketball world.

To me, there are two tiers of top programs:

The REAL blue bloods: Duke, UNC, UK, KU, UCLA

The 1A Blue Bloods: Louisville, Indiana, Syracuse, Connecticut, Arizona

Then there are other "high level" programs: Michigan State, Villanova, Georgetown, Gonzaga...

THEN there's the Xaviers of the world... we need to stop kidding ourselves.
Louisville Dore,

You're correct in saying that X isn't a top 10 program. However, you are incorrect in putting Louisville in !A. That's like calling someone who cheated on all his tests and got straight A's a scholar. I didn't know until reading X-Expert's post, but L-Ville has been cheating for decades apparently. Despite that, L'Ville still does not belong in the same breath with the aformentioned and also Fla (2 Nat'l Championships to 0 legitimate ones for L-Ville).

L-Ville has considerably greater resources than X, but it will always be labeled a cheater's program, and also be the little brother to UK. It is still a top 15 program on the court, but who knows how good they'd be if they actually played by the rules? How many recruits were legitimately recruited? I'd rather be an aspiring, clean, top 25 program like X, then a rouge program like L-Ville. You guys are in line to take over UC's well earned nickname of UNLV East.
Every unbiased, national writer, analyst and article out the would vehemently disagree with you. For a sampling:

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/top-100

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1306 ... f-all-time

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dom ... ams-2016-3

https://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/b ... gle.com%2F
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:10 pm

MuskyDore wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:59 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:02 pm
MuskyDore wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:18 pm

There is a difference between Top-10 Team (Xavier in 2017-2018) and Top-10 Program (Louisville)...

Louisville is a top-10 Program. Their history (even if you vacate the 2012 and 2013 seasons), their fanbase, their resources, their recuiting prowess... unforuntately we at Xavier don't come close to the Louisivlle's of the basketball world.

To me, there are two tiers of top programs:

The REAL blue bloods: Duke, UNC, UK, KU, UCLA

The 1A Blue Bloods: Louisville, Indiana, Syracuse, Connecticut, Arizona

Then there are other "high level" programs: Michigan State, Villanova, Georgetown, Gonzaga...

THEN there's the Xaviers of the world... we need to stop kidding ourselves.
Louisville Dore,

You're correct in saying that X isn't a top 10 program. However, you are incorrect in putting Louisville in !A. That's like calling someone who cheated on all his tests and got straight A's a scholar. I didn't know until reading X-Expert's post, but L-Ville has been cheating for decades apparently. Despite that, L'Ville still does not belong in the same breath with the aformentioned and also Fla (2 Nat'l Championships to 0 legitimate ones for L-Ville).

L-Ville has considerably greater resources than X, but it will always be labeled a cheater's program, and also be the little brother to UK. It is still a top 15 program on the court, but who knows how good they'd be if they actually played by the rules? How many recruits were legitimately recruited? I'd rather be an aspiring, clean, top 25 program like X, then a rogue program like L-Ville. You guys are in line to take over UC's well earned nickname of UNLV East.
Every unbiased, national writer, analyst and article out the would vehemently disagree with you. For a sampling:

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/top-100

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1306 ... f-all-time

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dom ... ams-2016-3

https://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/b ... gle.com%2F
I dont disagree with any of their opinions, if reality operated in a vacuum. However, in order to accept their opinions, you also have to believe that cheating has no bearing on the legitimacy of their achievements. BTW, Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds, the Butler clock keeper during the infamous X game, and Jerry Tarkanian's spirit just tweeted a "thumbs up" for your perspective.

Rick Pitino and Bobby Petrino's wives.....not so much.
MuskyDore

Postby MuskyDore » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:15 pm

If every coach, politician, athlete, business leader, etc were judged for their personal misdeeds, we would have few people left to respect in this world.

If you're going to knock Louisville downthe pecking order for a cheating past, then just about every program with any history is out, too

Let's not forget Xavier was mentioned in the recent agency leak from the investigation. The same investigation you're throwing Pitino's recruiting outthe window for.
MuskyDore

Postby MuskyDore » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:20 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:04 pm
MuskyDore wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:22 pm
Xavier2005 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 pm
The only reason to leave is money and I mean long term monies ie like a 5 to 10 year contract with big money guarantees....guaranteed long term monies. $3 million a year from Xavier would be a great salary for Mack at Xavier, but I could can see Louisville offering more. Louisville is not a major destination for basketball due to all its problems, plus football rules at Louisville too. Mack is King at Xavier and at Louisville Mack would be the small fish in the Big Pond and totally expendable if he does not succeed.
Football does NOT rule at UL. Not even close.

Louisville basketball is BY FAR the biggest revenue and profit generator in ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL.

They are the only basketball program that ranks in the top-25 of revenue/profit for all sports programs, which is a list of 24 football programs and Louisville basketball.
Lousiville hasn't been a top 100 program in football in the last 25 years. They also have the nefarious Bobby Petrino as coach. They'd hire the devil himself if he could help them improve their lacrosse program.
Huh? Reading comprehension not your strong suit?

Name the 100 other programs with

Fiesta, Sugar, and Orange bowl wins, a separate top-10 finish without a "BCS" bid, a consistent top-25 ranking as well as a Heisman winner over that span... interested to see all 100.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:38 pm

MuskyDore wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:15 pm
If every coach, politician, athlete, business leader, etc were judged for their personal misdeeds, we would have few people left to respect in this world.

If you're going to knock Louisville downthe pecking order for a cheating past, then just about every program with any history is out, too

Let's not forget Xavier was mentioned in the recent agency leak from the investigation. The same investigation you're throwing Pitino's recruiting outthe window for.
Do you really not understand the distinction? ES was NOT enticed to come to X due to receiving illegal benefits. His father apparently had dinner with the rogue agent while X was playing Nova. X was not complicit in his situation in any way. However, in Louisville's case, not only were the coaches complicit, but slick Rick doubled down by pocketing a million dollars for brokering the shoe deal. The word scum objects to people using it as a noun when characterizing Pitino. Also, do you see the irony that even though none of the X coaches were complicit, L-Ville still went after the coach of a school named in the investigation? I don't think that lady from Poltergeist would say "This house is clean"," even after L-Ville reluctantly booted Pitino & Jurich.

Jurich also hired Petrino after his scandalous time at Arkansas. The fact that you assume every program has a cheating past tells me all I need to know as to why you vehemently defend L-Ville and Pitino. Do you also believe that both parties had rapists as Presidents since......wait, I'll give you that.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:50 pm

Pierre Dracot wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:12 am
It's hard to imagine Mack leaving a top-10 program for Louisville or Connecticut or Pittsburgh, the first two of which are in line to receive the death penalty from the NCAA, and the third being legally dead.
They won't give out the death penalty. How often has that even happened. I think SMU football may have been the last.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Not really judging Louisville on cheating past but a long history of cheating dating back to Crum with multiple indiscretions to Pitino. To say during Crum;s time there were only two times where there were issues is like saying Clinton only screwed around with Lewisnky and Flowers. I really don't care if L-ville is a blue blood in anyone's mind as it is just as opinion. I like Louisville as I did UNLV but I still believe they have a long history of cheating. If you measure Louisville solely on wins and losses, they have a great winning history. I look at them similarly (not quite as successful) as NC who have a long history of cheating. Sorry is what it is.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”