Is this a "wow" record stats for CM to move on???

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

Is this a "wow" record stats for CM to move on???

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:24 am

Chris Mack for many has done a good to great job overall. Is this record of 9 years at Xavier a "wow" record for you??? 212-96 a 68% win record 2 out of every 3 games, Conference record is 105-49 another 68% win record 2 out of every 3, NCAA record 10-7 58% less than 2 out of every 3, 9 years 3 Sweet 16s and one Elite 8 ...less than 50% in the top tier of the NCAA Tournament. In the near term it seems very good....not a great,but certainly above good. This is his best time to sell his resume, if it falters over the next year or two he may not be in demand ....as he is now.
rickf

Re: Is this a "wow" record stats for CM to move on???

Postby rickf » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:42 am

Xavier basketball has been improving now for over 35 years.Greg Christopher is going to have more resumes to go through than Xavier has ever had in those 35 plus years. If Christopher chooses right we should still be on the right path upward to Villanova status. There appears to be very many up and coming coaches and some very established coaches who would look at Xavier as an definite upgrade to there present situation.
We have mentioned before in other posts that besides the money(important) what former coach has won a national championship?
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am

Xavier2005 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:24 am
Chris Mack for many has done a good to great job overall. Is this record of 9 years at Xavier a "wow" record for you??? 212-96 a 68% win record 2 out of every 3 games, Conference record is 105-49 another 68% win record 2 out of every 3, NCAA record 10-7 58% less than 2 out of every 3, 9 years 3 Sweet 16s and one Elite 8 ...less than 50% in the top tier of the NCAA Tournament. In the near term it seems very good....not a great,but certainly above good. This is his best time to sell his resume, if it falters over the next year or two he may not be in demand ....as he is now.
Keep in mind he's coached 5 years in a much tougher league.The pressure in Louisville to win national championships will be much greater than at X..If he leaves,seems like the consensus is that Steele will be #1 choice.I'd be ok with him but I think it should be an extensive search.It's a great gig .
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm

bluegrass wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am
Xavier2005 wrote:
Keep in mind he's coached 5 years in a much tougher league.The pressure in Louisville to win national championships will be much greater than at X..If he leaves,seems like the consensus is that Steele will be #1 choice.I'd be ok with him but I think it should be an extensive search.It's a great gig .
Also keep in mind the success of his two predecessors - 2 E8s in 6 years, and ascension to the BE helped him land the best recruits ever at X.

I’m not here to diminish his accomplishments, which have been good not great. I think SM had the best 5 year run of any X coach, but I prefer CM, b/c I think he is the whole package. Miller was a great X/Os. guy, but not someone I’d like to be stuck with spending a lovely afternoon antiquing.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:40 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm
bluegrass wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am
Xavier2005 wrote:

Also keep in mind the success of his two predecessors - 2 E8s in 6 years, and ascension to the BE helped him land the best recruits ever at X.

I’m not here to diminish his accomplishments, which have been good not great. I think SM had the best 5 year run of any X coach, but I prefer CM, b/c I think he is the whole package. Miller was a great X/Os. guy, but not someone I’d like to be stuck with spending a lovely afternoon antiquing.
Both posts here are spot on IMO. Mack will be offered (or has been offered) generational money from Louisville. X can't now and will never be able to compete financially. Louisville cheats on a grand scale to be competitive with the blue bloods. Pitino was a great coach but had to cheat to compete with Duke, NC, and UK. I'm not suggesting that Mack would cheat but underscores how competitive and the pressure that exists at Louisville. Mack does seem to have the skill-set and disposition to do well in Louisville or anywhere. Its just going to much harder. X is essentially offering a huge raise based on his recent trajectory (although i think next year will be a down year). He will need to be successful pretty quickly at Louisville. They will not be as patient. X was extremely loyal to Mack even during some average years in BE conference. Time will tell, If he moves on i wish him luck and hopefully welcome Steele.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:46 pm

The bigger issue is there are only so many jobs that are going to pay the really big bucks. Most of these schools, the Duke's, Nc's, Ky's etc. do not turnover frequently so if you get a chance to jump to that level, and it's in a good city, which Louisville is considered as such and is not always the norm, you are stupid not to listen. The daily life of trying to get top recruits, keep them in school, keep them out of trouble et. al no one sees. He may feels it's easier to do it at a bigger school which may have less constraints. He probably would never say that, but it's part of that life.
roster

Postby roster » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Jay Wright's career winning % is 68.4%
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:40 pm

"Not someone I'd like to be stuck with spending a lovely afternoon antiquing???"

Oh my goodness, Mr. Anti Homer, what an insightful, hair-raisin' picture you've planted in my fevered brain.
My hat's off to such a no-holds-barred master of purple prose imagery.

No kidding.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:50 pm

roster wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:52 pm
Jay Wright's career winning % is 68.4%
I'm sure Mark Few and Randy Bennet's winning percentages are better. Would you rather have either over JW? Considering that he had one of the hardest schedules during his tenure, which included playing in the best conference in the history of CBB in the old BE (the new one is damn good also), I think his record is very good.

Also, let's face it, the tourney is what separates the truly elite vs the pretenders. He has been to 2, soon to be 3 FF, and won one NC. He will probably be in the Championship Game again this year. He has throttled our current coach who I hope stays, in a sizeable sample (+10 games).

I think he is one of the top 5 cbb coaches in the country. Since the inception of the new BE, he has arguably done the best job overall. I'd love me some JW.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Wright’s teams have carved up Mack’s over the years.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”