‘Nova vs. WVa.

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Sonoma Muskie

‘Nova vs. WVa.

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Both teams look bad considering their rankings. Poor ball security, poor shot selection & general carelessness in the first half. .With their A game the Muskies could beat either of them tonite.
oldhoopster2

Re: ‘Nova vs. WVa.

Postby oldhoopster2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:59 pm

You’re dreaming. X couldn’t play with either of these teams.
Bedfordmuskie

Postby Bedfordmuskie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:27 pm

Nova was a bad match up for us this year (and seemingly every year), but Huggy Bear lost 5 of 6 earlier this year including getting blown out by Iowa State. Saying we couldn’t stand a chance against west va this year simply doesn’t make sense on any level. We had a bad game against Fl State - unfortunately we didn’t get hot at tourney time. If we had our A game, we would be playing Mich tomorrow for a trip to the final four. But, that’s why March Madness is both maddening and awesome.
oldhoopster2

Postby oldhoopster2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:33 pm

Nova turned it over 17 times against the press. WV had a center who dominated inside. I love X but they haven’t seen defense like WV. And X at times is a turnover machine against normal defenses. That game was a war and teams weren’t playing bad. X would lose to those teams 9 out of 10 times.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:35 pm

AND NOVA WINS. That vaunted D came up short. They had a six point lead and Nova goes on a scoring binge and WVa newer really played like winners even though they scrambled all night. was best team on floor and changed to meet the WVa D.

BTW that great D gave up 90 points
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:38 pm

oldhoopster2 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:59 pm
You’re dreaming. X couldn’t play with either of these teams.
I think we all know Nova would have been very problematic, but I have no doubt X could have beaten WVA. They are not a better defensive team than UC, and X throttled them, albeit at Cintas.
oldhoopster2

Postby oldhoopster2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:04 pm

I think their D is better than UC and their game coach far better than UC’s. Much as I don’t care for Huggins, he can coach. And WVU seems to have a better offense than UC, though I don’t have many games to base that on. If both teams played their A game, as someone mentioned, X loses to both Villanova and WVU (this year).
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:13 pm

oldhoopster2 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:04 pm
I think their D is better than UC and their game coach far better than UC’s. Much as I don’t care for Huggins, he can coach. And WVU seems to have a better offense than UC, though I don’t have many games to base that on. If both teams played their A game, as someone mentioned, X loses to both Villanova and WVU (this year).
I agree Huggins is a better coach than Cronin. That being said, so are most of the coaches in the Horizon League. Also, UC had good offensive players, including an NBA 1st rounder in Evans. Mick just can't coach offense. It would simply be who executes better: WVa's D, versus X's offense. The line would have been X-1, imo.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:55 pm

oldhoopster2 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:04 pm
No comparison with Huggins to Cronin.
Huggins is a better coach than Cronin every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
That said, the few times I watched WVU is that they seemed to run out of gas in the 2H, possibly from pressing full court the entire game.
As long as X was a full strength, i.e Marshall healthy and guys like Q and JP stayed out of foul trouble, X could beat WVU.
Scruggs playing PG against their press would be a recipe for disaster.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”