How I would lock up Mack

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
tacitus
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:31 pm
Contact:

How I would lock up Mack

Postby tacitus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:46 am

It seems that most have come to the forgone conclusion that Mack is gone. While this is definitely the closest we have ever been to losing him (at a point when the majority of us finally want to see him stay), until an announcement is made, who knows what will happen.

There are plenty of reasons for him to stay. He has family and friends in Cincy and his children are settled in Cincy. He is a Xavier guy and is loved and respected by the university. He is on the verge of taking us to our first Final Four or beyond. He is likely to get a big raise if he stays. Louisville comes with a lot of short run risks: probation, pending investigations, a fan base that will throw him under the bus if he does not have immediate success, an administration that will throw him under the bus if he doesn't have success as soon as the probation is over. They do not even have an AD ye. The same board of directors and network of boosters run the show, which means he could find himself in Pitino's shoes in a few years.

Of course, there are plenty of reasons for him to go to the Ville. His wife's side of the family is there. He has a chance to rebuild an elite program almost from scratch (a rarity). He can consistently recruit top-ten classes there and compete for ACC and national championships as soon as probation us up. He will have the best facilities and equipment at his disposal. He would be one of the top paid coaches in America, and his top assistants would be making better pay than a lot of D1 head coaches. To be the top candidate for a job like this again, he will need to be able to at the very least sustain his current success until another one opens up.

There are of course many unknowns. We do not know what his career aspirations are beyond the obvious pinnacle achievement of winning an NC. We do not know the private conversations Mack has had with Christopher et al or his family. We do not know his true motivations for meeting with them. We do not know what Christi Mack's feelings are on UofL: for instance was she recruited by them out of high school or did they snub the local star?

If it is just about money, and/or he feels he owes it to his wife to spend the next decade in her hometown as repayment for spending the last decade and a half in Cincinnati for him, then maybe it is an easy decision.

If it is about his personal career path, then it is actually a hard decision, unless they make him an offer he cannot refuse.

Here is what would steal him from us today: 1) 5 million per year for 6-7 years excluding the typical perks for a job like this (postseason bonuses, etc.); 2) 500,000 per year for top two assistants; 3) hire Greg Christoper as permanent AD so that Mack is working with someone he knows and trusts.
Last edited by tacitus on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's March!
yellow20xd
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:41 am
Contact:

Re: How I would lock up Mack

Postby yellow20xd » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:56 am

Did anyone catch the segment on Mo Egger's show yesterday after 5p when he spoke to the CM leaving for Louisville??? He made a lot of the points raised above and how it would be embarrassing nationally. CM has everything here, great program, respect of fans and administration, from Cincinnati, went to X, played at X, has taken X to it's highest heights so far. Nationally the question will be what's wrong at X when they can't keep one of their own??? Will that influence the search for the next HC if they don't or can't hire from within??? It's a question X will have to address... Does CM take Steele and any of the current players and recruits with him??? This could set X back a few years losing CM, assistants, players and recruits (this coming class and future recruits). It was a lot easier to recover the loss of a coach playing in the MCC and A-10. In the Big East it'll be brutal... Depressed thinking about it... Dan
“Wins go on the mantle. Loses go in your soul."
Anti-Homer
Posts: 4828
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: How I would lock up Mack

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:24 pm

yellow20xd wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:56 am
Did anyone catch the segment on Mo Egger's show yesterday after 5p when he spoke to the CM leaving for Louisville??? He made a lot of the points raised above and how it would be embarrassing nationally. CM has everything here, great program, respect of fans and administration, from Cincinnati, went to X, played at X, has taken X to it's highest heights so far. Nationally the question will be what's wrong at X when they can't keep one of their own??? Will that influence the search for the next HC if they don't or can't hire from within??? It's a question X will have to address... Does CM take Steele and any of the current players and recruits with him??? This could set X back a few years losing CM, assistants, players and recruits (this coming class and future recruits). It was a lot easier to recover the loss of a coach playing in the MCC and A-10. In the Big East it'll be brutal... Depressed thinking about it... Dan
Nationally the question will be what's wrong at X when they can't keep one of their own???

Absolutely ridiculous conclusion. He isn't leaving X for Tulsa. He's leaving for a top 7 bball job, and though they have proven to be chronic cheaters (which frankly begs some questions about him) they have won a NC (legitimate or not) and can make him one of the top 5 paid coaches in the league. He will still be within 90 miles of his parents, and much closer to Christi's.

Frankly, If Tulsa was willing to double his salary with an 8-year contract, I'd consider going there if I was him. I had a friend move to Louisiana for work about a decade ago for a promotion, and though it was probably one of the last places he and his family wanted to move to, he accelerated his career trajectory and compensation. He still lives there and has learned to tolerate it, but would move back to Cincy for the right opportunity.

X will be fine. Obviously, the next hire worries me more than CM leaving, b/c if the roster stays intact, they shouldn't regress significantly. With or without CM next year, X was positioned to take a step back. It's nice though when stepping back means going from a top 5 program to a top 30 program, and possibly better.

I agree with what X-Expert and others have said previously. CM was a very good offensive coach, and below average defensive coach for a program of X's stature. He reached an E-8 and 3 SW 16s in 9 years. That looks very solid on paper, but his two predecessors had a slightly better trajectory with A-10 players. HE lost in the 1st weekend in 2 of the last 3 years as a one and two seed. I still wish he would stay at X, but it makes me wonder if he is the guy to break the ceiling. I will root for him despite hating having to root for a rogue school, because he represented X very well, and did his very best while here.

That being said, I hope the ink is dry on Steele's contract by Monday.
bluegrass
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm
Contact:

Re: How I would lock up Mack

Postby bluegrass » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:29 pm

The sad thing would be if one of our own,a Xavier guy and a Cincinnatian, won't stay then who will. I think we have to be resigned to the fact that we will always be a stepping stone to the elite programs which we are not at yet. Xavier is definitely a top 25 program. But if we keep having great coaches they're going to jump at the opportunity to make that final step.Louisville has multiple final fours and national titles. Trust me I'm not complaining that we have really great coaches that schools want. I hope we continue to have that problem. It's better than having crappy coaches that we have to fire
X-Expert
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm
Contact:

Re: How I would lock up Mack

Postby X-Expert » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:44 pm

bluegrass wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:29 pm
The sad thing would be if one of our own,a Xavier guy and a Cincinnatian, won't stay then who will. I think we have to be resigned to the fact that we will always be a stepping stone to the elite programs which we are not at yet. Xavier is definitely a top 25 program. But if we keep having great coaches they're going to jump at the opportunity to make that final step.Louisville has multiple final fours and national titles. Trust me I'm not complaining that we have really great coaches that schools want. I hope we continue to have that problem. It's better than having crappy coaches that we have to fire
X is a private school and will never be able to compete with those schools financially. Thats ok. The reality is that schools pay way too much money for coaches which drives an unrealistic market. The firing of Kevin Ollie and Stallings "with cause" is because they made a bad hire and have too much money guaranteed, Now they have to use the only out they have, To say Mack leaving is a national embarrassment is just a typical stupid comment from a UC fan (Mo Egger). The fact that Cronin accepted the UNLV job (for that matter even interviewed with a school like that) should have been an embarrassment. Was it an embarrassment to Matta for leaving Buter to X. Was it an embarrassment to Kansas that Roy Williams left even if he went to his alma mater. Or Belein leaving WV for Mich. Like others have said, Louisville can back up the truck not to mention they have no choice right now,
MuskyDore
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: How I would lock up Mack

Postby MuskyDore » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:33 pm

Hard to argue schools are paying too much for coaches when the kids don't make a dime and schools like Louisville are PROFITING tens of millions a year.
thecoach
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: How I would lock up Mack

Postby thecoach » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:08 pm

MuskyDore
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: How I would lock up Mack

Postby MuskyDore » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:54 pm

thecoach wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:08 pm
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 727139001/

Check that Lvl profit.
Basketball program, not athletics department.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 22187
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: How I would lock up Mack

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:56 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:24 pm
yellow20xd wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:56 am
Did anyone catch the segment on Mo Egger's show yesterday after 5p when he spoke to the CM leaving for Louisville??? He made a lot of the points raised above and how it would be embarrassing nationally. CM has everything here, great program, respect of fans and administration, from Cincinnati, went to X, played at X, has taken X to it's highest heights so far. Nationally the question will be what's wrong at X when they can't keep one of their own??? Will that influence the search for the next HC if they don't or can't hire from within??? It's a question X will have to address... Does CM take Steele and any of the current players and recruits with him??? This could set X back a few years losing CM, assistants, players and recruits (this coming class and future recruits). It was a lot easier to recover the loss of a coach playing in the MCC and A-10. In the Big East it'll be brutal... Depressed thinking about it... Dan
Nationally the question will be what's wrong at X when they can't keep one of their own???

Absolutely ridiculous conclusion. He isn't leaving X for Tulsa. He's leaving for a top 7 bball job, and though they have proven to be chronic cheaters (which frankly begs some questions about him) they have won a NC (legitimate or not) and can make him one of the top 5 paid coaches in the league. He will still be within 90 miles of his parents, and much closer to Christi's.

Frankly, If Tulsa was willing to double his salary with an 8-year contract, I'd consider going there if I was him. I had a friend move to Louisiana for work about a decade ago for a promotion, and though it was probably one of the last places he and his family wanted to move to, he accelerated his career trajectory and compensation. He still lives there and has learned to tolerate it, but would move back to Cincy for the right opportunity.

X will be fine. Obviously, the next hire worries me more than CM leaving, b/c if the roster stays intact, they shouldn't regress significantly. With or without CM next year, X was positioned to take a step back. It's nice though when stepping back means going from a top 5 program to a top 30 program, and possibly better.



That being said, I hope the ink is dry on Steele's contract by Monday.
and it was not just one coach involved with the cheating which tells one that there is more to the cheating than the coaches.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-Expert
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm
Contact:

Re: How I would lock up Mack

Postby X-Expert » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:09 pm

MuskyDore wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:33 pm
Hard to argue schools are paying too much for coaches when the kids don't make a dime and schools like Louisville are PROFITING tens of millions a year.
never really bought the pay athletes argument. These kids are getting paid with scholarships. these scholarships give them a stage to agents, NBA, overseas teams and others to see them. Those that don't play basketball after college often get jobs from boosters. The funny thing are those that feel paying students will alleviate the cheating. NO CHANCE. Louisville didn't offer Bowen a stipend, it was $100K. i'm fairly certain that the best woman Lacrosse player isn't getting any benefit. UK aren't bringing these one and does for a 4 year degree but a stage for the NBA. Their exposure is their payment, During the Denny Crum days Louisville's graduation rate was among the worse in the country (like 24%). These players came for the opportunity to play basketball and get paid at the next level. If you want to pay student athletes, give them a stipend during the season but that really won't change the cheating. remember with Title IX, you must pay all athletes the same so this will open a can of worms

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sompuya and 19 guests