New graduate transfer Zach Hankins

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
sonofamuskie

New graduate transfer Zach Hankins

Postby sonofamuskie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Coach Steele gets his first recruit!!! Break out the Xavier headbands, they just came back in style!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=to_o56_OekQ
Anti-Homer

Re: New graduate transfer Zach Hankins

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:25 pm

Nice pickup! I don't know much about him, but my bro and nephew have been talking about him for weeks. He seems mobile and pretty athletic. Texas Tech was going after him pretty hard, and MSU just got into the mix, so he must be a solid player. TS hitting the ground running.

https://247sports.com/Article/Division- ... -117050946
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Just won a D2 national championship at Ferris St
From Northern Michigan
Having lived in Cadillac for a few years I'm partial to No. Michigan guys
I saw him play in the D2 championship game
Might have been the best game I've seen this past year
He can play
Maybe not at the level as Kanter but he can provide minutes at the 5
Will be much better than the other D2 tranfers X had a couple of years ago - Stenger and The Sheriff - Andrew Taylor.
And he will be a good influence on the new meat - Jake Walter
Good pick up Coach Steele
Keep them coming
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:28 pm

Good job Coach Steele
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Coach Steele gets to drink coffee because he is a "closer"
Coffee is only for closers
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:58 pm

Great reference Mumuskie, just watched that scene again. "3rd prize is, you're fired..." Terrific 1st signing by Coach Steele. Great fit as he will compliment T-Jones well with a different set of skills. I watched a couple vids and what stood out is his effort and movement without the ball. This kid cares deeply about his team. I bet he is the most excited guy in the world right now licking his chops about finally getting to go up against the likes of Nova, G-Town and all. Oh, and one more thing, this young man boxes out like his life depends on it. I LOVED it as that is the dirty work a coach can yell about for hours and still find kids that "forget" to box out at key moments in games. In my opinion, this was the most important slot to fill. Much easier now to find a shooter, as 6-11 skilled & mobile transfers that are immediately eligible certainly don't grow on any trees I know of. Welcome Zach! And congrats to our new Coach.
gym from delhi

Postby gym from delhi » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:44 am

Informative piece in the Enquirer this AM re potential transfers. Most of them have impressive stats at various levels of play. One caveat however is that Cane Broome at UC did too (23.7 ppg), and wasn't all that great this year. Conversely Kanter played much better here than his WGB stats predicted.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:12 am

Why stats at the mid-major or D-2 can be misleading- Kanter made this point and it showed this year. These potential transfers are usually the Man at their school. Like Tre with us, they get the attention and the double teams. Kanter plays for us with four shooters around him. That truly opened things up for him. That allowed him to show his skills.

I think Mack, Steele saw the potential in Kanter and Bernard and realized they could fit in. Here I'd hoping that our latest commit will prove to be the same.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:09 pm

gym from delhi wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:44 am
Informative piece in the Enquirer this AM re potential transfers. Most of them have impressive stats at various levels of play. One caveat however is that Cane Broome at UC did too (23.7 ppg), and wasn't all that great this year. Conversely Kanter played much better here than his WGB stats predicted.
Mick cronin horrifically mismanaged cane Broome. Not saying he's a 20+ point scorer but on a team with a well run offense (or any offense) he'd score 15+.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”