Dru Smith

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Dru Smith

Postby muskieman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Evansville transfer Dru Smith told ESPN he has set an official visit to Virginia Tech for this weekend, one to Xavier on April 20 and Missouri on April 27. Averaged 13.7 points and 4.6 assists this past season.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-Expert

Re: Dru Smith

Postby X-Expert » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:39 am

Steele is doing a great job getting in with all these recruits. My concern is that X is loaded with guards and Smith and Teague are both guards. Next year X will have Goodin, Scruggs, Harden, Kennedy, and Castlin. The following year add Curtis and possibly Smith or Teague. that would be seven guards. X will either be determined to play very small or Steele is seeing something else happening (i.e. transfer). that is just a guess but seems strange how many 6'2-6'4 players X is targeting.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:00 am

Solid point X-Expert. Brings two thoughts to mind:
1) You win with guards these days. Rather be guard heavy than post heavy any day. Give me tough physical guards that can shoot it a bit.
2) Tells me Coach isn't all that enamored with Mr. Harden.................
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:06 am

X-Expert wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:39 am
Steele is doing a great job getting in with all these recruits. My concern is that X is loaded with guards and Smith and Teague are both guards. Next year X will have Goodin, Scruggs, Harden, Kennedy, and Castlin. The following year add Curtis and possibly Smith or Teague. that would be seven guards. X will either be determined to play very small or Steele is seeing something else happening (i.e. transfer). that is just a guess but seems strange how many 6'2-6'4 players X is targeting.
How many are point guards that will be playing in 2019-20?
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:05 am

Shadow wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:06 am
X-Expert wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:39 am
How many are point guards that will be playing in 2019-20?
Was wondering same thing MM. They would have Scruggs and Goodin who are true PGs and I believe Curtis is a PG too but could be wrong
roster

Postby roster » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Castlin will be here one year, so that leaves "six for two years out". It's also likely one or two of them gets some time at the wing. And you really need three point guards. If someone sprains an ankle or gets the flu, you still have two who can share the 40 minutes of a game.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:14 pm

I’m not so sure he will only be here for one year. He didn’t play last year because of injury, but the ivy Leauge does not allow a red shirt year for any reason. Not an NCAA rule. I would think that if he decided to,petition the NCAA to get that year back, he would stand a pretty good chance.
#WHYNOTX?
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:28 pm

roster wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:52 pm
Castlin will be here one year, so that leaves "six for two years out". It's also likely one or two of them gets some time at the wing. And you really need three point guards. If someone sprains an ankle or gets the flu, you still have two who can share the 40 minutes of a game.
Point taken that Castlin may be gone but absolutely do not agree that teams need 3 PGs. Until conference, Goodin probably played 75% of game at point and Scruggs spelled him. Once conference season started, Scruggs got more playing time moving Goodin go the 2. However, they never had a 3rd PG. I understand having an emergency PG (i.e. JP experiment when Sumner got hurt)
Biggernlife

Postby Biggernlife » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:25 pm

Expert, You really need 3 point guards. If only one of them (or 2) is a combo 1-2 then it works as well. But why do you think we saw Macura running the point several times the past two years? We really need 3 capable guys for a point guard
How many minutes effectively should a point guard play? I say max of 26. Gives us more protection to fight off injuries, fouls and off nights. Additionally we could apply more defensive pressure having more pt guards. Just my opinion> .... Bigger
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:29 am

Biggernlife wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:25 pm
Expert, You really need 3 point guards. If only one of them (or 2) is a combo 1-2 then it works as well. But why do you think we saw Macura running the point several times the past two years? We really need 3 capable guys for a point guard
How many minutes effectively should a point guard play? I say max of 26. Gives us more protection to fight off injuries, fouls and off nights. Additionally we could apply more defensive pressure having more pt guards. Just my opinion> .... Bigger
i understand that all teams will have an emergency type PG. JP rarely ran PG except for maybe a few sets. a few times he brought ball up then handed to Scruggs or Goodin. A team will get 2 PGs and one of them (i.e Goodin) will play the 2 in some cases. No true PG with real talent will accept going on a team as a 3rd string PG.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”