Well this is not good

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Well this is not good

Postby muskieman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:43 pm

Keonte Kennedy Tweet

@KeonteKennedy

I have been granted my release from Xavier University basketball program. I will reopen my commitment and allow other schools to recruit me, including Xavier University. @VerbalCommits @jeffborzello @Rivals @247Sports
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Re: Well this is not good

Postby muskieman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:48 pm

From Shannon

The first Xavier men’s basketball signee from Texas in the modern era has had a change of heart.
Keonte Kennedy, Class of 2018 commit who inked his National Letter of Intent last November, announced Saturday on Twitter that he has been granted his release from Xavier.
But here’s the twist: Xavier is still his “No. 1 school.”
“I want to give them a chance to recruit me along with other schools,” Kennedy said when reached midday Saturday.
The ESPN four-star prospect, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Austin, was recruited by Luke Murray and Chris Mack. The loss of those relationships gave Kennedy pause and created enough doubt that new coach Travis Steele and assistant Jonas Hayes flew to Texas to visit with him yesterday.
Kennedy said he wants to build relationships with the current Xavier staff, but he also wants to see what else is out there. He said he has been contacted by Oregon, Texas Tech and Virginia Tech thus far and is waiting to hear from more programs.
So what does he want in a destination?
“The opportunity to play early as a freshman, build relationships and family culture,” Kennedy said.
He has a fairly short turn-around to figure things out, as most freshmen-to-be hit their new campuses early in the summer.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:51 am

The flip side of this......it also gives Xavier the opportunity to fill the scholarship with someone that is committed to the university and the current coaching staff. I’d much rather have a situation like this than have another Ridder pulled on them, where the kid comes to school but leaves before practice even starts...which leaves them with no opportunity to fill the scholarship before the season starts.

Ultimately, this should be all about the players and we should want them to be happy and successful in their own lives. Selfishly we want Xavier to just have the best players they can get and for those players to perform at the highest level on the court and in the classroom. But we should also want the players to enjoy their time at X and to be happy and satisfied with their time spent as a student-athlete. If Kennedy wants to take some extra time to make sure that coming to X is the right thing for him, and if that means he will be fully committed to the University and the team when he gets here, I think that this could be a good thing.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:25 am

Kennedy was not happy that Steele did not fly down to see him after he was hired and instead sent someone else.
finalfourorbust

Postby finalfourorbust » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:34 am

If Xavier can't replace a 3 star recruit we aren't as important as we think we are.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:35 am

The downside of the grad transfer market reared it's bad side on this one. Kids want to play, and if they're recruited to believe they can right away then there's blame on both sides. Bringing a 4th or 5th year guy in at that position sends the opposite message. I'll be more curious to see if the Curtis kid keeps his commitment given he's so far out. Those often tend to fizzle even when a coaching staff stays in place. Particularly if a kid improves.
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:29 am

He will probably end up at Louisville? Go Xavier!
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:53 am

Yep, that would not shock me, nor Ohio St. I see a leader for Keonte Kennedy is now Texas Tech. Closer to home.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:00 pm

I am . He did say that X was still at the top of his list. Texas Tech has an inside track after X
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:47 am

skyhops wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:25 am
Kennedy was not happy that Steele did not fly down to see him after he was hired and instead sent someone else.
if this is true, then i say "good riddance". we don't need someone like that.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”