Re: On early list

Postby X-Expert » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:45 pm

muskieman wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:38 am
X-Expert wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:13 am
muskieman wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:16 pm

Gates has a lot of talent but he loved the 3 point line and at times found it easier to drift to that line rather than fight for rebounds and putbacks. I still remember when he had to drive the ball and was successful when he did it but instead of making it part of his game it was the aberration. Maybe taking the "game seriously" is more harsh than I meant but when one part of TB was not working he found other way to help, like rebounding, taking it inside. I don't expect Gates to be the "be all" but there are times his laid back style appears to not help the situation at hand. Just my opinion.
Agreed. I do however think he was a very good defensive player and rebounded pretty well even when his 3s weren't falling.
then you must admit that when his threes were not dropping he either kept shooting or went into a shell offensively
Absolutely seemed to go into a funk when 3s weren't falling but think he gave his best effort. I do agree he seems to have the capability to drive and had a little success with that when he did. I wish he would do it more. X needs him next year to do more than just hit 3s
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:39 pm

X-Expert wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:45 pm
Absolutely seemed to go into a funk when 3s weren't falling but think he gave his best effort. I do agree he seems to have the capability to drive and had a little success with that when he did. I wish he would do it more. X needs him next year to do more than just hit 3s
Certainly, I agree we need him to be a leader and warrior next year and I wish he would do more. I believe he has as much talent as any on this coming and last season teams now he just needs to say, "DO there is no try"
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
PT71

Postby PT71 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:34 pm

Agree with x-lucidity...Gates was in his "rocking chair" during games...disappeared...must "grow a set," as stated. No magic wand is gonna create a different Gates...he has to WANT it...so far, have NOT seen him WANTING it enough. Put Macura/Bluiett's heart inside Kaiser Gates, and maybe we'd see something. Want it, Kaiser!
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:36 pm

Even the coaches mentioned his effort which is one of the reasons for losing his starting job
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:46 pm

skyhops wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:36 pm
Even the coaches mentioned his effort which is one of the reasons for losing his starting job
I hope he has learned from this because as I said I think he is a necessary part to the team next year. He will be giving the opportunity but he must do something with this opportunity.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:21 pm

Josh Duncan was very similar. I was at the Arizona State game and remember Sean reading the riot act to Josh. Play an entire game or you won't plat. By his senior year he mixed it up inside and was dangerous from outside. From what we have heard, he has done very well in Europe.

I believe Kaiser will surprise us and possibly be the main focus. If not he loses time to Welage. We will have the weapons.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:45 am

Duncan was better and much more consistent defender. However, the team was much, much better defensively back then period.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:34 pm

KG was too often the invisible man on offense.
Not able to create a shot off the dribble with any degree of consistency.
However there is a website that I need to find the link to that showed he was one of X's best defenders.
His 3 point shooting % went into the tank the latter of last year but the NBA is a 3 point shooting league.
If someone can knock 3's on a regular basis and play a little D, they make a roster. Kind of like a left handed relief pitcher.
That said, don't think KG is anywhere close to an NBA prospect at this point.
He has a little too much of that "Joe Cool" attitude that Justin Martin used to display.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”