On the brighter side (Schadenfreude)

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Pierre Dracot

On the brighter side (Schadenfreude)

Postby Pierre Dracot » Mon May 07, 2018 10:53 am

Mack is having a miserable time at Louisville.
muskieman

Re: On the brighter side (Schadenfreude)

Postby muskieman » Mon May 07, 2018 9:30 pm

seeing how I don't follow UofL that closely my question is what makes you think he is having a miserable time at Louisville
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Mon May 07, 2018 10:39 pm

Mr. M, I was about to ask that same question. Using two words. Sez who? But I must make further comment. When did ya ever see the word SCHADENFREUDE used in a post here? Cheers on you, Pierre! And Up The Republic!
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Tue May 08, 2018 8:17 am

https://accsports.com/teams/louisville/ ... -continue/

"As it stands, Louisville has no scholarship signees in the 2018 class, and no 2019 commitments. The Cards have lost numerous key contributors, including the exhausted eligibility of point guard Quentin Snider, and the decisions by Deng Adel and Ray Spalding to enter the NBA Draft. As such, the Cards are staring at a glaring lack of depth and personnel heading into the 2018-19 season."
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue May 08, 2018 9:25 am

The reality is until Louisville hears their fate, why would anyone go there. All the coaches are telling kids the same thing and that Louisville has the darkest cloud over them. Louisville needs the punishments to be served so they can move on. I am confident that once the punishment is handed down, and they are eligible for post season, they will be fine. I hope this drags on for years to come
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Tue May 08, 2018 9:34 am

X-Expert wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:25 am
The reality is until Louisville hears their fate, why would anyone go there. All the coaches are telling kids the same thing and that Louisville has the darkest cloud over them. Louisville needs the punishments to be served so they can move on. I am confident that once the punishment is handed down, and they are eligible for post season, they will be fine. I hope this drags on for years to come
Schadenfreude.
xu koop scoop

Postby xu koop scoop » Tue May 08, 2018 9:57 am

Never heard the term. Schadenfreude: Def in Cambridge Dictionary / a feeling of pleasure or satisfaction when something bad happens to someone else. Of course wise XU grads knew this. I will keep this term in my vocabulary. I thought maybe it had something to do with money can't buy happiness as in Macks huge pay increase. Maybe they can start a Schadenfreude Tourney for those who don't make the NCAA or NIT. :geek:
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Tue May 08, 2018 1:50 pm

"Schadenfreude" is one of a large number of German words with unique meanings (i.e., cannot be translated into a single word. Examples:

Zeitgeist (this is a great word)
Zugzwang
Ersatz
Freudentränen
Frühlingsgefühle

It seems that they should have a word that translates to : Money can't buy happiness.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue May 08, 2018 3:36 pm

edgecliff hall wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:39 pm
Mr. M, I was about to ask that same question. Using two words. Sez who? But I must make further comment. When did ya ever see the word SCHADENFREUDE used in a post here? Cheers on you, Pierre! And Up The Republic!
actually Gary and I used it a number of times in the early days of board...seems to pop up when head coaches leave or when Gary and I had our political discussions.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Tue May 08, 2018 10:45 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:36 pm
edgecliff hall wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:39 pm
actually Gary and I used it a number of times in the early days of board...seems to pop up when head coaches leave or when Gary and I had our political discussions.
Ah Gary - and you. I miss your political discussions (I side with you) and certainly Gary is missed. He would have a field day with Mack’s departure.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”